Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much load is on wheelie bars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jun 13, 2014.

1. squirrel

squirrel

There is some support for side loads, the mount is almost 3" wide, it sits in the old spring shackle bushing hole. Here's the peek a boo picture (yes the nut is loose in this picture)

[​IMG]

2. 69fury

69fury

Nice! That's a pretty clever design. What did you use for the piston/receiver portions? What size tubes?

3. squirrel

squirrel

The inner tube is 1.375, the outer is 2.00, wall thickness of both is around .10 there's a couple rings of 1.625" tube around the inner one to keep it in place, and the washer between the spring and upper tube has a nice loose fit on the OD of the lower tube. Hard to describe...and it took a while to figure out how to do it. It seems plenty stout.

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Why do I think adding a shock absorber to that set-up would be a good thing?

5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know...maybe you've watched cars bounce off the starting line?

6. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I like the idea of slowing the momentum early on before it gets to moving at top speed and aggresively hitting the bars. I'm going to run longer bars than what you normally see on a vintage style build and also have them set pretty low. I have some ideas on how to keep them looking period correct. I also have no interest in big wheelstands either. Looking for a nice controlled launch. It's a ways down the road for me but I'll post mine once they are done.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Are you sure that will hold up in a slightly side loaded launch? Maybe a very sturdy free castering mounting of those wheels would help along with a connecting bar between the legs. I agree about the shocks idea too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Apparently it's not a big deal....

ran 10.58 in Tucson.

9. oldolds

oldolds

Squirrel
    That was fun! You should have charged admission.

10. rooman

rooman

That is the key to all of this. I am a dragster guy and we run our wheel with as little as 1" of clearance to the ground. We run a long (6 feet or so) flexible bar so our package is a little different but the key is to slow the rotation of the car early so that it does not hit the wheelie bar wheel with too much inertia already built up. On an ideal run the car will carry the front wheels for a bit at the hit with the wheelie bar on the ground for about 3 or 4 feet until the car gets up on the tire. In our case the bar is set so that we also get a little wheel speed at the launch as the car will shake the tires if it dead hooks.
    A number of the "big show" nitro cars have/do run load cells in the wheelie bar upper leg so once they get past the current four race back to back to back deal I will see if I can get any actual numbers from some of my mates that do that stuff.

Roo

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have no idea what the answer is. I just want to see you do it. Yes, I'm selfish.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks like a nice traditional setup. But looks like your tires/suspension handle the launch without worrying about big wheelies.

13. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, if I had some more stall....but then I'd probably need to do all the 9 second safety stuff, too, at least at other tracks I plan to run at.

14. jerry

jerry

What a nice launch! That looks to just hit and go!

That looks so nice going down the track.

jerry

15. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

You can do a back yard approximation by using some 2" x 2" square tubing lengths and u bolt attach each to the rear frame rails trailing rearward at a length that you are experimenting with. At the rear portion of each of the bars install a 500lb+ value bathroom scale and add a spacer to take up the arm to scale clearance so the scales will now read. Place a floor jack under the front crossmember and jack the car up to your desired lift height and read each of the scale readings to determine load transfer. Total will be determined by adding the sum together. At 2" lift you will have a number , at 6" lift you will have another number and you can increase or decrease the lift and make a graph of load from scale readings

16. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

..only if you can jack the front up at about 2 feet per 0.10 seconds.
    This model will not account for rotational force and momentum only leverage.
    I respect your effort though!

17. squirrel

squirrel

That's the thing, I was mainly interested in the dynamics of it.

18. Andamo

Andamo

Just as a point of reference, we have a load cell on the passenger side wheelie bar of a 2425# door car that has over 2000 certified hp car and we get around 1400 psi off this load cell at the launch.

19. JPMACHADO

JPMACHADO
    from Not Listed

One thing to keep in mind is that you already have structure you are assuming can stand up to the loads being applied. You could back-solve for what forces it would take to bend your frame (on the way up) and then balance that load using the wheelie bars. Then you would essentially have a weak link in a part you know to be strong enough.

It also doesn't have to be something as stout as the frame. It can be the weakest part in the system that you'd expect to survive.

That being said,I have not run any numbers and doing so may give you a gigantic load on the bars.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  20. oldolds

oldolds

Finally someone with a real world answer!

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I bet those are some long ass bars too! Hit would even be harder closer to the axle. Thanks for the good info.

...2800 lbs total for both sides...long bars...I think I was pretty close after all

22. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, it's a real world answer! Neat. Although a stress of 1400 psi doesn't tell me what the load is, without knowing the cross sectional area of the part the stress was measured in. And the car it was measured in is quite different than mine, having three times the power. But it's good to see a real number.

23. wsdad

wsdad

As they say, one test result is worth a thousand theories. Thanks for sharing that!

24. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Load cells on both sides connected to a Racepak will give you the numbers you are looking for.
    http://www.racepak.com/

25. squirrel

squirrel

Unfortunately I can't put any kind of useful modern instrumentation on this car. Oh...I lied, I put a gopro camera in it. I could stick it on the back of the car, and get video of what happens. The deflection of the springs will tell me exactly how much load is on the bars, as long as I can measure the deflection accurately. Since I know the spring rate.

26. Andamo

Andamo

That 1400# number I gave is the reading off our Racepak. The right bar (passenger side) hits first and we feel having a load cell on the drivers side doesn't serve a real purpose. Our bars are Titanium that are 60'' long and the upper bar on the passenger side is a larger diameter since that side of the car drops first at the hit and needs to be the stronger of the two because of engine rotation. It's also adjusted around 3/4'' lower to hit the ground first. We use the wheelie bar to maintain the front/back balance of the car and not as a Band-Aid for not having a good working suspension.

27. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds good. The number needs some translation...without knowing exactly what it represents, it doesn't tell me a whole lot, unfortunately.

Anyways, my set up is built and I think it will work fine, so I'll move on to the next part of the project. Getting the hood cut, braced, and doing the bodywork on it.

28. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Couple of things to consider regarding Andamo's numbers and what I came up with.

They have longer bars so a softer hit
    The car they are running is set up to use the chassis and not the bars to absorb the hit so even having 2000 hp the hit will be softer than the car I used for an example.
    I also calculated the hit with the wheels at 2 ft above the ground which allows a good deal of energy to be created
    Lastly, I did not have slo-mo to properly time the car rising which could totally skew the results.
    Anyway..it's a helluva lot of force.

29. Andamo

Andamo

The use of wheelie bars in each class and chassis is different and there's not a one size fits all application. Just make sure they don't unload the chassis when they hit.