Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chrysler Flathead ID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FouledPlugsCC, Jun 27, 2014.

1. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

I traded a friend some stuff for this motor a front axle, rear end and a bumper. I am trying to figure out what this came out of. Based on the casting number I think its a 251? The tags on the intake side are in a foreign language. Someone suggested Hebrew? Any suggestions. I fired it off last night so at least it runs.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

Also, the rear end I got looks to be out of a 58-60 dodge pick up, the bumper as well. Thought this motor might have come out of one too but not sure?

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They made those engines as late as 1972 for industrial and marine engines. Maybe that is what you have.

The serial number is stamped on the left side of the block, at the front, directly below the head. Look above the generator, where the block meets the head.

Also, measure the length of the head. 23 1/4" = Plymouth/Dodge, 25" = Chrysler/DeSoto.

The serial number will tell the tale.

FouledPlugsCC likes this.
  4. This page might help, but not sure with those ID tags: http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

As stated above - measure the length of the head. Also you can easily measure the stroke by removing the plug that resides in the head over top the last cylinder. I think all the 23" engines had the same piston and the all the 25" engines had the same piston, so with the head length and stroke you would at least know the displacement.

FouledPlugsCC likes this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

23 1/4 block - 3 1/4 bore, 25 block - 3 7/16 bore. This was the rule, there are exceptions. The serial number tells the tale.

6. 35desoto

35desoto

Unfortunately this listing only tells part of the tale
    23 1/2 block came with a 3 1/8 bore or a 3 1/4 bore - the 25 1/2 block came 3 3/8 and 3 7/16 bore - it all depended whether it was a Plymouth or a Dodge or a Desoto or a Chrysler and which era it came from. Gotta love Ma Mopar for utilising one block and a couple of bore sizes just to please the different status of each brand Plymouth/ Dodge and Chrysler/Desoto

7. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

Hmm it just has a 683 nothing else

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. daliant

daliant

On the cyl head over the rear piston there is a small plug that will let you into the #6 cylinder, you can measure the stroke by pulling the plug, inserting a small rod and rolling the engine over one revolution. The stroke plus the the block length will help narrow down the size of the engine. I have a feeling the numbers on the block aren't going to tell you much.

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

683 is not a Chrysler serial number. This indicates that you may have an industrial engine or replacement block that never had a serial number or that it was ground off and restamped.

The "Hebrew" plates rivetted on, look like the ID plates used by engine rebuilders or they could have been applied by a manufacturer who used Chrysler industrial engines.

The oil fill cap and oil filter look newer than the fifties, they look like the sixties. This suggests an industrial engine made after they stopped using flatheads in cars, and only used them in boats, industrial apps, and military vehicles.

Are the starter, generator and ignition 6v or 12v? That could help date it. What model and make are the distributor? That could help date it even better.

Where did the seller get it ?

11. You might want to check with the boys over at the MOPAR forum, P-15-D-25.com.

12. tig master

tig master
    from up north

13. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Anyone know a simple way to tell between a 218 and a 230? I'm getting one out of a 54 Dodge truck, but I'm pretty sure it's the 218... they are by far the most popular up here in the junkers.

14. 73RR

73RR

Easy! Measure the distance from the face of the crank flange to the back of the block.
    1" = 201-208-218 and 1- 3/16" = 230
    Now, this is only for the 23" 218, NOT the 25" 218 which is very common North of the border.
    All 25" engines will be 1- 3/16".

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The serial number will tell you.

If you want to do the hard way there is a pipe plug in the head over #6 piston that allows you to measure the stroke, which is the only diff between a 218 and 230.

16. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yea, I'm north of the border and was hoping to not take any wrenches to it before I buy it, but I guess it really doesn't matter since I'm pretty sure I'm bringing it home regardless.

17. FouledPlugsCC

FouledPlugsCC

12 volt, 25 inch head. When I get a chance I will post some pictures of the transmission on it as well. Thanks for all of the comments. I will measure the stroke today. Also, my friend got it out of a storage unit...not much help there.