Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ultra Sonic Cleaners for rebuilding carburetors, etc??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 28, 2014.

1. Talk to me.
    1-Yes/no?
    2-What size?
    3-How much should I pay?
    4-What chemicals are needed?
    5-Any before/after pics?
    6-will it clean the smallest orifices?
    THX

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. ditchdigger

ditchdigger
    from Eugene,OR

I use the HF 2.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner to do small single barrel carbs a few times a week. Hot water and a little orange based solvent is all I ever put in it. After 20 minutes in there they come out spotless. If you use a strong alkaline cleaner it will discolor alloys so stay away from purple stuff and the like.

The Harbor Freight unit is a bit small for a 4 barrel and would need to be rotated often. I did a GM TBI last month and needed to turn it over every 5 minutes.

3. I worked in a plant where we made computer chips. We had them everywhere me and a friend set up a big one to do carbs, they came out just beautiful.

4. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

I've used mine for everything from handgun parts to fuel injection parts. Works great with Purple Power. I got mine from Harbor Freight with the warranty for under $100.

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know the motorcycle guys in this area swear by them...I will ask around about exactly what some of the guys are using...

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

6. GTS225

GTS225

Quick sidebar question; You guys with the HF unit.....How long you had them?

(Been thinking about getting one, myself.)

Roger

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

I got lucky and found a branson ultrasonic cleaner at a swap meet for $5. It works great, has a good heating element. Ive been using purple degreaser. Watch craigslist too!

8. btt for the weekenders

9. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Sharpertek industrial cleaner with a tank size about 6"x6"x12". I think I paid almost $300 for it. So, it wasn't cheap! Though it is a little small, I have used it to clean disassembled Holley teapots and Quadrajets. You just have to rotate the bigger parts. It does have a heater, but it's not very effective at heating up water from room temperature. It works best if you start with hot water (140 degree tap water) and let the unit maintain the temperature. As far as cleaning agent, I have found Cascade dishwasher detergent works very effectively. :)

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In another thread a carb rebuilder says he uses a strong solution of Pine Sol.

11. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

I've had good luck with Simple Green. The Purple cleaners seem to be hard on the carb castings. It tends to turn them a dark gray. I bought a nice size one on Ebay, that is also heated, for under $200.

12. PushnFords

PushnFords

I bought one online from Harbor Freight and used it a lot to do small carbs and other parts...eventually the heater quit. I'd also spilled some cleaner on the display and it came apart but the ultrasonic still works. Bought the next one off eBay but it is basically the same thing and use that for carbs now...the heat really makes a difference. Main problem with some of the bigger ones is they take a while to heat up.

13. PushnFords

PushnFords

The HF ones won't fit a 4 barrel unless you disassemble it and rotate it. Only deep enough for half at a time.

14. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

I bought a pretty big one at the swap meet last weekend , it is $600 on ebay ,
    its 16 inches long inside,
    will it clean the inside of a carb if you do not take it apart ,
    just wondering if it gets into hidden nooks and crannies ,

and does it make the gunk , carbon etc it "cleans" turn into dust or does it just lossen it from the wall and it can still get stuck in the bore,

can I put another container inside the solution so it only cleans what is in that container ?
    This might help if you needed something stronger to clean a part and did not want to pollute the main tank

Thanks for your ideas

15. llonning

llonning

I also have the larger HF unit, had it for about 8 years and it works just fine. I just use water and Dawn liquid. It does get into the smaller passages. Mostly I do lawn mower and chain saw carbs. Won't be without one now.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you've used Cascade dishwasher liquid, try the Cascade silver pouch!

Light years ahead of anything else you've ever used with hot water...NO SPOTS!
    I wash our lead crystal wine & brandy snifters in it...(and used it on my 3 Holly cores for my 406. Zowie!)
    Commander Whitehead would be astonished.

17. Before/after pics anyone?

18. daddylama

daddylama

I've had a harbor freight cleaner for ages... at least 8 or 9 years. I don't use it daily (or even monthly sometimes), but have used it a lot over the years... and it was used near constantly the first year or so.
    works as well now as the day I bought it. just wish it was bigger.

19. I just got a Kendal thru Amazon yesterday and I am NOT impressed. It's almost useless and I can't find the manufacturers # anywhere for questions

20. SimonSez

SimonSez

Which model is it?

I am thinking about getting one too, so want to know what to avoid.

21. Kendal Commercial Grade 9 Liters 540 Watts HEATED ULTRASONIC CLEANER HB49 . I put in a few parts with soft grease and it only removes 1/2 after 2 15 minute cycles, which I'm told should be plenty. So, it's gonna be useless for carb parts (and parts with soft grease for that matter too). I've seen amazing before/after pics on the net, even with the $80 HF cleaners. I was also loaned a small $1300 machine that was as useless. What am I missing?

22. I had an American made one with no heater I got used from CL, a $1300 loaner and the above mentioned Kendal. So, far, I'd say avoid them all.

Billybobdad likes this.
  23. Here's before and after on what I would think a fairly simple part to clean DSC07870.JPG DSC07869.JPG

24. Ive used em in tattoo studios for years, and paid $1000 kiwi for the one i use in my own studio, 20 years ago. They create microscopic airbubbles, that implode, and the result is a cleaning action, that gets into the smallest cracks. Some have stronger actions than others. I have never used em for auto parts, only tattoo equipment, and friends jewelery. Maybe someone could post up the diffrences between the weak and strong action ones.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Groucho, did you use a soap of some kind? Something to break up the grease? I can understand the benefit of the agitation on the dirt, but you need a soap of some sort to loosen it's hold on the part first, correct?

26. Purple power and some green stuff