Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Do it have the correct oil pan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Our 55 is alive!!, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Just noticed this evening that our 55 Plymouth flathead 6 has a different oil pan than what is in the factory service manual. I found this by trying to fit the pan back on our rebuild. The manual shows to line up the oil pick up tube with the rear main cap bolt head. If I do this the screen sits at the back of the pan and will not fit. The pan is a center pick up. I've been looking on the site and have seen some of the pans are on the 56. This is the pan that was on the motor when I'm removed it. I have been running this motor since I purchased the car about 4 years ago and looking at the date code on the block 5 10 55 I'm figuring this to be the original. So my question is should I just turn the pick up tube and screen to sit in the middle of the pan or should I use the correct pan for oil purposes? The pan fits fine when I turn the tube. Thanks

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I don't know, do it ? o_O

3. 73RR

73RR

If the pan in front of you was in the car before then you know it fits. Positioning the pickup tube and screen to sit where it needs to be is a no-brainer.
    This would not be the first time that the wrong pic was found in a mass-produced book...

4. George

George

Bingo! Either the sump is in the right place or it isn't!

5. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Thanks. Just double checking. Thanks.