Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64 Chrysler Newport

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txturbo, Jun 26, 2014.

1. txturbo

txturbo

Anyone into these? I found a convertible but I don't know much about them.

2. do a little research....and look under the hood.....a 300K is kinda rare....

3. Squablow

Squablow

I parted out a '64 300-K and I had a decent original '65 300-L so I like this era of Mopars. Not sure what you want to know. They're unibody so around here the convertibles tend to fold in half but that's probably not a problem in Texas. Virtually no aftermarket support for them but parts aren't too hard to find since there's tons of sedans getting parted out and not a lot of demand for the pieces. Big blocks and push button automatics, pretty bulletproof drivetrain, although getting a rear drum off is a huge bitch.

4. They make great cruisers, & a decent conv. (of any brand) will always be in demand even in fairly rough shape.
    Overall, I've seen some very cool customs made out of that era Chryslers, but if it's got lots of rust, it's prob not going to be worth the effort. (Long ram equipped 300's being the exceptions) dry climate minimal rust examples are still avail w/a little digging.

5. txturbo

txturbo

I thought the Newport and 300's were different models.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. txturbo

txturbo

Rust might be a problem on it, because it's located about 20 miles from the coast. I've seen a couple of the old Cadillacs from the same stash up close and they were pretty rusty. Only considering it because it's a convertible and according to what I've read they only came with V8s.....361, 383 or 413. A 413 convertible might be fun. Of course it's going to depend on what he wants for it. He did tell me they were all running cars 5-6 years ago and he had titles to all of them.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were an excellent car in their day. Engine, trans, torsion bar suspension, all top notch. I always liked their looks too. They had a sophisticated almost European look.

Mechanical parts easy to get. They used the same basic power train, suspension, etc for many years.

If you wanted to fix one up for a driver it shouldn't take much. About the only thing you would need to add to bring it up to modern standards, would be disc brakes.

8. 73RR

73RR

As Squablow says, rust is the biggest concern and a 50 year old unibody collects plenty of it. You get to decide how much is too much in both rust and dollars. The drive train is a non-issue, there is an endless supply of parts.
    Post some pics if you can.

9. My brother had one in high school. Can't remember exactly what year.. I do remember watching the guy at the tire shop rat a tat tat with an air gun for a Long Time trying to get the lugnuts off- busted a couple studs etc before somebody suggested that it may have left hand threads.

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs