Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Towel City Tire Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead26, Jun 25, 2014.

1. flathead26

flathead26
    from tampa

Has anyone run the Towel City cheater slick retreads. I want to buy a set for my
    26 Ford Roadster/ powered by a blown Flathead Ford V8.
    They offer them with pie crust edges and can cut full tread into the tires.
    (It's a dirt track looking tread) What I want to know is, can they handle
    120 mph, hard burnouts and do they make a lot of noise on the road ?
    ( like a snow tire might make)

2. afaulk

afaulk

Dude, they're recaps............junk then, junk now.

Kevs56, Muttley and Jeff K. like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now there's some attitude. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Properly executed recaps don't have a statistically higher failure rate than new tires. The numbers just are not there.

4. k9racer

k9racer

Some of the local circle tracks use them. My opinion they are hard and do not bite. They last forever if you don't have a cap come loose. Out of the20 towel city recap tires I have owned 3 have had caps come loose. lesson learned now I refuse to race at tracks where you are required to use the Towel city tires . They have been around 50 or so years but in my opinion Afaulk is more than correct. It is a used casing More than likely over 3 plus years old and the sugested life of a tire is 5 years.

5. I ran tracks where TC tires were the track tire. They are available in different compounds so I've had some pretty sticky ones. It pays to be buddy buddy with the supplier. I've had a few of them over the years chunk on me, a small piece of the tread at the shoulder came off but it was still usable through the tread life. No matter, after 3 weeks they were off the car anyway. I'd move them around on the car as they wore.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Only had them a few weeks at this point, but I love mine! Very nicely made, well balanced, and a nice soft compound.

7. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

SAM_6166.JPG Absolutely!!! Daily driver, and it's been 115 a couple of times since I have put them on. If a recapped tire is going to die, that's when it does. Prior to this, I have run Hurst slicks on my cars and several other customer cars around town - mostly daily drivers, too.

They took just about 2 ounces of Dyna beads to balance, and are silk smooth going down the road.There are many ways of "capping" a tire. Some of the big truck rebuilders simply glue a new tread to an old casing and send them out the door. There are more examples of this sort of capping laying in Arizona medians then probably any other place in the nation. The Hurst and the Towel City stuff is actually mold vulcanized just as a new tire is. That's what gives the tire it's distinctive "pie crust" outer. Kinda hard to remember, but most of the early slicks were vulcanized recaps well into the mid sixties. Just buy quality...

LSGUN likes this.
  9. madmak95

madmak95

Works for me. When we got these they had several different compounds .....hard to sticky. Being that this car is race only we got the stickies. hooks great.

01.jpeg

10. ebfabman

ebfabman

I raced at a few tracks for a few years that required TC tires and never had a problem. Track champ at one of them and pts runner at another one. The only issue I can remember was an end of year championship race, the left rear had a very slight leak and we didn't have time to change it. The track was hot and as the race went on, enough heat built in the tire it never went. The car got real loose as the race went on but I won the race. The left rear was nearly flat when I pulled onto the scales.

11. LMFAO
    You're on fire buddy. :D

But as afaulk probably isn't going to answer you probably no one but I did stick my tongue at him before. Its a pretty ugly tongue and has been known to cause flashbacks.

I have not run towel city tires as of yet, but they started out long, long ago building recaps for racing. drag slicks and then tires for roundy round. You usually only hear the bad about a tire and I have not heard anything bad about towel city tires yet.

12. ev88f

ev88f

I plan on picking some up in the future. I have to second P&B's comments that I've never heard someone say bad things about towel city

13. I think that it wasn't until the later '60s that I began to hear about cold rubber recaps and it was like the newest thing. As a rule those are the one's that peal off when you are peeling out.

Vulcanizing is a hot process and it is like welding the rubber in a sense.

14. Based on my experience, they can handle 120, they can handle hard burnouts, and they didn't make a lot of noise on the road. They also lasted a long while being abused and hooked good. They also drove well in the rain when I got caught. Very predictable

15. ive read a few threads on here re the towel city recaps and it seems everyone who owns them has good things to say about them. I bought a pair of radirs which are great tyres, only downside was it took 4 months to get em..

16. Mo rust

Mo rust

I put some on my coupe and my only complaint is it's a little squirrelly on wet pavement. I wish I had asked them to groove the middle section too. coupe3qtr.jpg

17. flathead26

flathead26
    from tampa

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

18. Leatherface

Leatherface

What size are your rear tires and wheels? Good combo!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The rears on my 'bucket are 28.5 X8" on a pair of 15 X 8 1/2" Americans.

20. flathead26

flathead26
    from tampa

[​IMG] I have had my 8 x 28 1/2 x 15 cheater slicks on the car for about 6 weeks.
    Daniel at Towel City ,really worked with me to be sure that I would be happy with them.
    They really look great on the car . One time I blipped it on a rough concrete surface,
    really hooked and actually hurt my back. Just drove 20 miles in the rain at 40-50 mph,
    car handled great, although I get really wet. Great tires!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  21. flathead26

flathead26
    from tampa

22. Gold Dust

Gold Dust

My buddy had some on his drag car and they did strange things the car would twist and the left rear tire would come off the track and he tried everything to fix it the car would not hook ,so the tried a set of wore out slicks and I swear the car lifted straight up shot out like a rocket it picked up 7 tenths .I would not believe it myself but I was there and watched the whole thing. I think they look great but you put any power to them it might come back and bite you.

23. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i think they look great and price aint bad.

24. radirs have the right look and are not recaps. i went 168mph on a set. garllits went 200 on his radirs. i have done durometer tests on both makes of tires and the radirs are softer. i drive mine on the street regularly and compete on drag week with my radirs. if a tire can handle drag week it can handle anything.

25. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I'm running them on the street. My car traps in excess of 135mph at our local mile high track. Blown BBF in a 2400 lb car. For the strip I use Hoosier drag slicks but I like the Towel City's for the street as they will last much longer and are more stable cruising. I've made several full on, hard passes on the TC's on the long, flat, lonely desert roads outside of my town to see how they feel. I was very surprised at how well they hooked up. Not quite like a modern slick, but they grabbed very well from my experience. Lightly spinning but aggressively moving the car forward. They bit all the way at the top of first, and stayed hooked up through the 1-2 shift and on through the pass. 140mph and shut it down. I'd say they feel and work about like a drag radial.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    falcongeorge and Crown'd like this.