Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Another Road Trip.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob K, May 27, 2014.

1. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Yeah, like I read a map nowadays, seriously, I didn't remember that you were in Mammoth or I woulda.
    See ya on the salt.

B:)B

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

We have been slacking on this post since last week, we did the Canyon and then the Wigwam Motel and then drove to St Paul for the BTT50'S event and have been too busy to post the last of the pictures. So here they are.

Fields of lava on the back road to Cameron and the Grand Canyon National Park.
    DSC01569.JPG

DSC01570.JPG

The entrance to Wupatki National Monument some neat ruins there.
    DSC01571.JPG

The first view of the canyon before it becomes a national park, still very impressive.
    DSC01573.JPG

Ruins of a more recent nature, must have been a camp of some sort.
    DSC01574.JPG

The east entrance to the park.
    DSC01575.JPG

The Watchtower over look.
    DSC01576.JPG

It's a long way down to the river
    DSC01578.JPG

This is built into the side of the tower.
    DSC01587.JPG

I just love these narly old trees, I think they are pinion pines
    DSC01590.JPG

The red is really a lot brighter than my little point and shoot camera makes it look
    DSC01592.JPG

DSC01595.JPG

I used a little zoom on this, it's really a lot smaller to the naked eye but I wanted to show the rapids and the sand bar that the rafters camp on overnight.
    DSC01599.JPG

The color contrast is awesome
    DSC01605.JPG

DSC01608.JPG

I have reached the max for this post.
    To be continued.

3. Thank's for the shots of a Big Hole!

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

It has to be the most beautiful hole in the ground in the world. DSC01616.JPG

DSC01622.JPG

DSC01624.JPG

DSC01625.JPG

That is it for the canyon, I would recommend that anyone planning a trip use the EAST ENTRANCE from Flagstaff up to Cameron and then west to the EAST ENTRANCE.

The reason for this is mainly the traffic, and you can drive your car up to the overlooks and park within walking distance. The overlooks are too small for the large tour busses and big Motor Coaches and thus they are far less crowded. When we got to the main entrance we discovered HUGE PARKING LOTS full of cars and tour busses. The only way to see the canyon from there is to take a long walk or climb aboard a shuttle bus with a whole bunch of other folks. Not in my opinion the best way to see natures handiwork.

We then headed for Holbrook AZ and our reservations at the famous Wigwam Motel.
    It's not the Holiday Inn but it is really cool
    DSC01630.JPG

There was only one other Hot Rod there but the owner had all kinds of old iron parked around the lot.
    DSC01643.JPG

Small inside but nice and clean and cool decor
    DSC01644.JPG

DSC01645.JPG

Bathroom is small but OK
    DSC01652.JPG

DSC01653.JPG

DSC01655.JPG

DSC01659.JPG

DSC01657.JPG

Run out of space on this post again.

Attached Files:

5. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

One more from the Wigwam
    DSC01660.JPG

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, we stopped in Winslow AZ and stood on the corner but no girls in flatbed Fords slowed down to look at me.

DSC01627.JPG

We went out to dinner and came by the city park on our way back to the motel and discovered that the local Native Americans hold dances every week night, the costumes are beautiful and we stayed for the whole performance and talked with some of the dancers. One young man was an enlisted man in the Army and was being deployed again to Afghanistan in a few more weeks for his 3rd tour.

DSC01632.JPG

DSC01633.JPG

DSC01635.JPG

DSC01636.JPG

DSC01638.JPG

DSC01639.JPG

DSC01640.JPG

DSC01641.JPG

DSC01642.JPG

That's it for the dancers, what an enjoyable evening.

Amtrak Lives

DSC01668.JPG

DSC01669.JPG

DSC01670.JPG

That sucker was really moving, I was going 80 and he ran away from me.

To be continued.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You're my hero!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

What a great road trip . Your photos and text make for an interesting story . Thanks for sharing and I'm envious as hell !!!

8. thats a great road trip ... thank you for the pictures

9. THANKS! good stuff man

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Another great road trip... Thanks for posting all of your photos. See you at Bonneville!

Malcolm

11. Always enjoy your road trips, Bob. Thanks much!

12. SimonSez

SimonSez

It was great to catch up with you and Maggie at LARS, safe travels for the rest of your trip!

13. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Hey Simon, was great to see you and Janet if only for a moment. Are you serious about the Midwest on your next trip? If so please give us plenty of notice as we travel a lot.
    I assume you are back in New Zealand by now, hope your trip was uneventful.

14. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob K. it has been a pleasure to ride along with you and Maggie again. You take the coolest road trips.

15. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

BobK again you have entertained us all with your" travels with Maggie" really enjoyed it as always....thanks again.

16. Once again thanks!

17. I don't know if she told you, and I don't want to start anything, but Maggie tried to put the moves on me in Bldg 4 at LARS. You'll be happy to know I resisted her advances.;)

Sorry I missed ya there but I did get to see the best looking one of you two!

Mick

18. Will you be coming up through Durango to ride the train? If so I'd like to say hi.

19. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine too!

Bob, it was great to finally shake your hand at BTT50's and talk to you if only for a sec.

DSC_0150_600.jpg

Again, thanks for posting all the great travel pics and the stories to go with 'em.

20. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

And here you thought it was over, finally got all of the shit done that was waiting for 6 weeks while we were gone. Including getting the vert over to Bonduel Wi so that Red's Upholstery could replace the zipper on the rear window before Des Moines next week.

This was the first rain we have seen since 5/10/2014, between Ames Iowa and St. Paul on I 35. I wish I could bottle that up and sell it to California, I'd be a rich man.

DSC01676.JPG

As most of you know I like Customs, here are a few I found interesting.
    A tasty De Soto business coupe, I'm beginning to like these light greens.
    DSC01678.JPG

DSC01684.JPG

Super clean 54 Merc post. Black With Silver Flake top and hood. DSC01679.JPG

DSC01680.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

Very nice 56 Sunliner with frenched Merc Station Wagon Tail Lights
    DSC01682.JPG

OOOPS, that is actually a 55 with 56 side trim.
    DSC01683.JPG

A 41 with that classic look DSC01686.JPG
    DSC01685.JPG

A Canadian 56 Monarch, this has to be a very rare 2dr ht. The rear bumper doesn't have the exhaust outlets like the U S model.
    DSC01688.JPG

DSC01687.JPG

This one reminds me of the time back in 54 when we bought a wrecked 53 Olds 98 Convertible and transplanted the Motor, Tranny and rear end into a 51 Chevy HT. we even built our own floor shifter for the olds tranny.
    DSC01689.JPG

DSC01690.JPG

I can't decide whether this is a Kustom or a Bomb, not any body mods except for the conni kit which I have never seen done on a fleetine style car. Regardless of what it is I really liked it because it is so different.
    DSC01691.JPG

Ahh, the dreaded 15 picture limit grabs me by the balls again.

To be continued

21. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Picking up right where we left off.

DSC01692.JPG

DSC01693.JPG

DSC01694.JPG

Now that our armed forces are forbidden from doing flyovers the patriotic guys that restore war birds have taken over. I swear that one of these was a navy Hellcat but couldn't confirm that. I think this is better any way as these guy's fly slow enough that you can actually get a picture and they come over 3 or 4 times.
    DSC01699.JPG

DSC01705.JPG

This little beauty was parked across the street from our little camp site and I fell in love with it, it even has a 216 or 235 in it. A real mild Kustom.
    DSC01713.JPG

DSC01715.JPG

DSC01716.JPG

DSC01717.JPG

Had to take a ride down to the MF camp and return the visit that we got from Laura, Bobby Jr. (who was having a bad day) Jeff, Kenny and crew. Missed Titus though but did get to see the new red roadster, very impressive in such a short time. These guy's are doing great, Milwaukee has needed something like this for a long time.

DSC01719.JPG

This is the guy, Jiggs Lindhorst that built the 292 in my Convert, It has lasted 194,500 miles so I guess he did a good job.

DSC01722.JPG

Flat Pie and Red Eye, that is what we up here in the great white north call pizza and booze in the parking lot at the hotel. DSC01723.JPG

DSC01724.JPG

Maggie & I are trying out best to corrupt our soon to be daughter in law. Brian and Shari are getting married in April. We ought to have her broken in by then, especially if she keeps coming to these events with Brian.
    DSC01728.JPG

Well that is finally all there is from this epic journey, we put an additional 10k on the car since it left Wisconsin for the LSRU in April. Next big trip will be in September and October when we travel East for the Rodders Journal Revival and Carlisle and the Race of Gentleman.
    Until then, travel safe.

22. You're a hero on this board Bob.

23. atch

atch

Well, Bob, it sounds like this is the end for this thread so here's where I say many thanx from all of us here on the hamb who wish we could have been riding in the car instead of driving the keyboard. See ya down the road my friend.

24. Paul B

Paul B

Thanks for the ride along

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I'm very sad that this is the end but will look forward to the next one Bob and Maggie.

26. Jigs did a Good job!

Oh... and don't forget to buy a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread on the way home!

27. Thanks, Robert!

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Thanks Bob. Can't wait for our next trip .

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks BobK.....I have been 'stalking' this post since you started your journey. See you at the drags.

Chris