Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rustoilum flat blk paint help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paintbysnax, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Paintbysnax

Paintbysnax

I sprayed my 49 shoe box in Rustoilum flt back over the weekend and had to push it out side on Monday. Came home on Tuesday and the neighbors sprinklers water spotted the paint. Can't wash em off with dawn soap. Idk what to do any help would be great I really don t want to sand and re do it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403753393.661934.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Oh that's it. Really. Cool

2. TOMMAY

TOMMAY
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MOBILE,AL

Try glass cleaner or plastic cleaner,you got nothing to lose. It worked on my flat black Harley paint but I thing it may be a flat clear so may not work for you.

3. I have the same paint on my truck. It has held up well, you might try just soaking the car down with the hose a few times wipe it down with a towel. and let it dry off. The only thing I noticed was it gets a chalky after a while but I like that.

4. HPIM0885.JPG Seven years now on this paint cheap and easy.MW

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Now.jpg Well, beyond the fact that I HATE threads about painting anything but a kids wagon with Rust-O-Leum flat black, what you've found is that it doesn't harden forever, and those water spots are now "patina". You could wait a week or so and reshoot it, or get used to it looking like it does. You should wait that long, as it hardens so slowly you won't be able to sand it for a while, it'll ball up on the paper and you'll have a worse mess than you have now. Cheap and easy yes, but there's a price for that. I painted my GMC dually with Kirker single stage urethane for 80 bucks, it sets outside, and looks as good as it did the day I shot it 3 years ago. How cheap is that?

Texas57 likes this.
  6. txturbo

txturbo

That's what happens when it gets wet before it's fully cured. Epoxy primer will do the same thing.

7. Live with it
    Proof CHEAP DON"T PAY

8. Flat black paint just doesn't hold up,,HRP

9. Now it looks like 10 year old flat black paint job.

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

If you are going to paint something flat black get the paint from a John Deer dealer. It holds up beter than anything else.

11. The G00SE

The G00SE

Have you considered running off your neighbors?

12. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Tell the neighbor he is a jerk off for wasteing water and screwing up the environment by spreading chemicals on his lawn. I know you didn't mention anything about chemicals, but anyone watering their lawn is doing so only because he is concerned with it's appearance and thus the assumption of poisoning the earth with his damn lawn chemicals. Run the sum bitch out of town! Let's get him!!!!!!!!!!

13. Todd M.

Todd M.

Try Pledge furniture sprey in a small area near the bottom, apply in a circular motion and share the results. I've done this on flat black and satin black paint with good results.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That's a cool look! It's different. Consider leaving it alone and thanking the neighbor....!

15. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

They won't come off. Respray. Don't ask me how I know.

16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

scotch bright the whole truck lightly

hooliganz 1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. Looks like you need to blow another $7 and repaint it..

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

Hotrodmyk, Saxman and Muttley like this.
  18. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Now that's funny!

19. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

That made my day.

20. Paintbysnax

Paintbysnax

Thanks y'all I guess I'll try a few of these. Then if it don't work out respray it again. Oh well.

Oh that's it. Really. Cool

21. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Cheap and easy yes, but there's a price for that. I painted my GMC dually with Kirker single stage urethane for 80 bucks, it sets outside, and looks as good as it did the day I shot it 3 years ago. How cheap is that?[/QUOTE]
    I painted my daily driver with Kirker single stage based on the dually paint thread. It's so cheap and works so well I can't understand for the life of my why anyone uses hardware store paint at all.

22. That's the spirit,
    It's not like you were expecting a show finish or have a bunch of dough wrapped up into this. It's supposed to be fun

23. Weeds and dog terds look better?

24. People like us wonder about people like you! :D HRP

[​IMG]

loudbang and willbe like this.
  25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

There is a lesson to be learned here about leaving the car in the garage for a while after painting.

I have seen something similar happen when a guy I know had is car painted and it turned out very nice but the the guy who shot the car told him do not wash the car for a few weeks!!

After looking at his car for about one week he decided to hose if off and very carefully dry it.

The paint job cracked and it was finished !!!

Crazy but true. Jimbo

26. billsat

billsat

Best line of the day. I need to dry off my keyboard after reading that one.

27. The G00SE

The G00SE

Hey paintbysnax , 56 shoebox is right! ! You need to full on chemical assault your neighbors lawn! ! Round up or used motor oil should work good!

28. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Maybe mineral spirits will take it off

29. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Technically, water is a chemical, just hope the neighbor doesn't catch on to that. I know that if you asked this question over at Garage Journal, someone would sooner or later have a comment about engaging in relations with the neighbor's spouse.

30. Like you just did ? :)