Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Washers for Shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Jun 25, 2014.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'm in the process of completing a rebuild on the front suspension on my 65 Dodge Utiline. This is a steering coupler to tire rebuild so everything is new or rebuilt. In the process, I was surprised to see that (at least some) shock absorbers no longer come with new washers and hex nuts as they have for decades. The hex nuts are not an issue since I can find those anywhere. But, I've looked in many places and asked a lot of auto parts "clerks" for the formed washers used on shock absorbers and no one has them (at least by themselves). You can buy a "kit" that includes a washer, nut, bushing and in some cases, a bolt (depending on the application). I just need the washers. I have no idea why you would ever want to replace a bushing. If a bushing is worn, so is the shock and the bushing comes with the shock. Strange.

Any help and leads are appreciated.

- EM

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Why not just hit the wrecking yard and grab some off a old car. Can't be more than a buck for 4 of them.

3. somebody forgot to put them in package.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Sounds like time for a trip to the pic-a-part place. That is the kind of thing that falls to the bottom of my parts bucket when I get other parts.

5. What's wrong with the washers that were on your old shock? HRP

6. flthd31

flthd31

I like stainless so I make my own...easy. get a flat washer the right size. Put in on a socket, put a ball peen hammer, round down, on the hole and hit it with a heavy mallet.

Attached Files:

• 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
  7. earlymopar

earlymopar

The original washers were pitted and not what I wanted to use. The point is that this was never an issue in the past. Prior to this I had never purchased a set of shocks that did not come with ALL of the hardware.

8. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Like the others have said -- go to the boneyard.

9. jazz1

jazz1

This could be what I have been anticipating for years and why I have saved all my old shock washers and bushings

10. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor