Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone from NZ know what happened to this one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconj, Jun 24, 2014.

1. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

Do any of the New Zealand members maybe know what happened to this rod, pictured. It belonged to a mate of mine who drove this rod around in the Christchurch area, back about 1966-1970 approx. I have an idea it featured in a hoy rod magazine about that time. did real cool wheelstands, but broke a lot of real short driveshafts as well!!!! ( pictured with two only carbs but mainly ran with three )

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Rckt98

Rckt98

I'm not from ChCH but have been around rodding a long time & don't recall ever seeing a pic of that car before. Wouldn't that be an awesome find in someone's shed today?
    Hopefully someone from the south chimes in, I would love to know its history.
    Russell

3. There is a new facebook page called NZ Hotrods & Memories. Heaps of old NZ hot rodding pics on there. Post the pic on there and i'm sure someone will know where it is..cool car btw

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hotrodphotos/

4. RussTee

RussTee

I think it is a car called morning tea if so it is srounded with romours as t what happened to it I am pretty sure it was broken up and sold off as parts after a deal went bad. Some of its history was in the NZ hotrod mag in the past year or so. It is not my roadster pickup also an old Christchurch car.
    Rusty

kiwijeff likes this.

5. nzhotrod

nzhotrod
    from Auckland

Yes, that's right...this car was dubbed Morning T and owned by Alun Beck. We published an article on it and Alun's amazing life story in our Feb 2011 issue.

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. Rckt98

Rckt98

I must have missed that, i will dig out that issue.
    Russell

7. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

many thanks guys, and thanks NZHOTROD and yes that is correct and the owner was Alun Beck at the time, that's him in my avatar standing outside my 1934 Ford coupe with me behind the steering wheel, don't remember the occasion except I think it may have been that we had just got the coupe registered, and legally on the road finally, that's after the doors were welded shut, (see burn marks around the hinges area ) and we had smoothed the windscreen off after cutting the rusted out roof off the top of the rod, Al's rod was a classic for the time with custom surfboard racks, and a truck tub full of shortened premanufactured tailshafts for quick changeovers, did many miles in the "morning T " and have many happy memories, Alun and I still speak regularly, and I will ask him, but where could I look for a copy of the NZHOTROD Feb 2011 issue? or just even the article???? would love to read it,

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the great response team, ( I will forward it on to Alun ) and while we are at it, and I was wondering where things went, I wonder where my 34 coupe ended up, any ideas anyone??, I would have sold it in approx 1966-67 and moved to Australia with Alun Beck and we eventually both ended up in Western Australia

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  9. luke13

luke13

maybe an old rod benders member could shed some light on the subject.
    broken down for parts does sound likely though, that would be a shame many good cars and bikes lost that way

10. I think I remember it, cool car and would be nice to know if the body was re-used and still around. JW

11. Shedrat29

Shedrat29

I remember seeing Alun many times in the 60's at the Brighton ramp going for a surf. I was a young grommet and remember him driving a flathead powered pickup (I thought it was yellow). He was the first kneeboarder I ever saw , colourful guy and started my conversion to kneeboarding.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

thanks Shedrat29, yes later on after he sold the "morning T" he got a flathead powered model A truck, and painted it yellow, I got one as well 4 cyl powered A model truck, painted it yellow, we did some runs around the south mainly to Kiakora area, for surfing. have attached a photo of me and Murray Pocock sitting in the back of the T, and Al's yellow A model at Kiakora later on,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  13. Shedrat29

Shedrat29

Hell yes thats the pickup. Talk about a blast from the past. I just ran the plate but it doesn't come up ,ha worth a try. I also remember Brian Betts Mk 1 Zephyr convertible with a pickup tray instead of the boot (trunk) lid as well. Where was that first pic taken?

14. RussTee

RussTee

your coupe/ roadster was it painted a blue colour and had the name suzy Q if so I ended up with the remains of the body it bwas recycled to Olly Hurst as patch panels for one of his projects it may have belonged to John Mckim at one stage as well

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. RussTee

RussTee

The A RP i think ended up on the west coastI remember seeing it next to a burnt out house I may have ended up with one of the doors off it

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

thanks RussTee, I remember painting it just prior to selling it, using some Washington Blue left over from my dads repaint of his 1938 Ford pickup but then we mixed another colour to stretch the paint, and it turned out a lighter finished blue colour from memory, don't know about the name, may have been added after I sold it, I drove it from CHCH to where I worked south in Otematata? and used it daily to get to and from work there for a couple of years, with no bonnet and extreme cold in that town at times, radiator would be frozen just about all day, as was the driver, with its open top!! but weekends I loved gunning it out on the open hilly roads in the area, very little constables around, tee hee!

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

sorry Shedrat29,
    I replied with your question to RussTee below, ( duh ) however the photo was taken at the southern end of the New Brighton carpark in about 1965, I remember the Mk 1 Zephyr you talk about, as well as Lynton Douglas red 1939 coupe, Pete Urbons 1946 merc coupe, the Lane bros from Taylors Mistake with there A Model Truck, and a 1939 chev delivery van ( see photo ) Russ Craw had a pretty mean Mk 1 Gt Cortina to, to name but a few, all good stuff, what yuh got??

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. RussTee

RussTee

Other cars I remember are Les Cooks Sedan my uncle John Hawkins 36 and John Mckims model a Pickup "Grandma" The early car club ,really a local group of guys from North beach simply called the Car Club was formed early on.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. RussTee

RussTee

your coupe / roadster probably went from John Mckim to Kelvin Lockhead at Sefton Nth Canterbury it was for a while used as a beach buggy I got the body off Kelvin to get some patch panels for my 34 roadster before selling the remains to Olly Hurst some years later

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

RussTee
    thanks for letting it go gently mate

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Hey Russ, what 34 roadster did you have and did it belong to Rob Campbell at some point ? JW

22. 1932tub

1932tub

This photo was taken in Nelson ( about 300 miles from its home town ) during the Christmas holidays early 60's.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. That's such a cool little rod.

24. I would like to think its somewhere safe as many of our early rods fell into neglect in the 60s and 70s, Royce Fishers T pick up springs to mind. JW

25. Jeremy, Royce's T should be almost restored by now, or done, like Barry Greets bucket.
    Russ Tee was probably right with his info though.
    Hey RussTee, if your reading this, any chance you could throw up pics of your T?
    Another old Canterbury car, not many have seen. Would fit nicely here.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  26. An old friend in Palmerston North has the Royce Fisher T and also has Vandal, and yes the T should be done by now, pity it wasn't done with the flat tray. That's how it was when I saw it with Royce in the late 70s. JW

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Guys I hate to report this but OP falconj who was a very good mate of mine, sadly past away on the 24th October 2014, it's still good to keep the post open with info, I'm sure John would have appreciated it, but sadly he is not going to reply.
    RIP John Falconer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  28. Thanks for the sad update:( JW

29. Oh shit.
    Sorry to hear that.
    Thanks Cully33.

30. Shedrat29

Shedrat29

Sad news, RIP.