Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sam Barris's 49 Mercury and Bob Hirohata's 51 Mercury

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Nov 13, 2007.

1. loggy

loggy

Wow....certainly looks a place that should be on everyones' 'must visi' list..........certainly on mine.Just classy cars man.

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

when I die, just sprinkle my ashes in that room!

3. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

My 2 favorites, along with the Matranga.

4. I've always liked the Sam Barris '49. Never liked the headliner or the green piping,but I like the pattern and the pleated doorpanels. That's how I want to do my interior,but all white. Cool seeing them both together. I'm gonna have to swing by there and take some close-ups.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. I also see,what looks like, the Matranga Merc behind them. Is that the original car,or a copy?

6. Got to be a copy the original was destroyed in a crash I believe.

7. bonesy

bonesy

Thanks for the posting - I love it.

8. That's what I thought...

9. Pics of the whole thing on my site, I posted them last week...

SoCalCarCulture

[​IMG]

10. According to the latest TRJ declaration, He's also part owner of that magazine.

11. I can't believe they're using those stands and chain around those cars!!! :eek:

Some kids hangs off that chain, or bumps that stand, it's going over.

The chain does come up nice in some of the photos though... :rolleyes:

12. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Rikster,that was an amazing thread.Just to see all of the cars from the little mags in person and in one place.All we need are the 2 versions of the Rev.Earnst Chevies and Kurt McCormicks collection.it would be like a Sat afternoon at the Barris shop.Joe

13. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

living classic

14. These are KUSTOM! no funny wheels and tires, no blowers, no true flows, no flames, just pure class!, I love these cars.

15. Vlopez22

Vlopez22

First of its time

16. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

I used to live less then 5 miles away from that hot rodding mecca. School was .5 miles away. Would hear the winter nationals while in class. Mite b y i cant speel good. Did my fifth grade report on it and the fairplex. Ill never be the same away from it.... Saw the exhibit a while ago, actually ran into George on my way out and his way in. Its awe inspiring in person.

17. sub006

sub006

I think a car magazine writer (Pat Ganahl?) found the deteriorated Hirohata Merc in So Cal maybe 20 or 30 years ago, bought it for a few hundred bucks and stored it away. Many years later he publicized what he had and got several auto suppliers and craftsmen to contribute to a restoration.

Has he still got it? Might be time to cash in at Barrett-Jackson. If the Batmobile is worth four million, the HM ought to bring at least a tenth of that!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Jim McNiel bought it off a used car lot as a kid in the late 50's and placed it in long storage until the 80's when it was rightfully restored by him and some top names in the business.

19. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Rick: Just the BEST,bittchin

20. Holy Fuck, where did you come up with that fairy tale?-MIKE:eek::p

21. DrJ

DrJ

Brootal, I think it's plastic "chain" but still you're right,
    it's still gonna scratch if it falls.

22. BobMcD

BobMcD

That's right! Jim's owned the car over 50 years. Rod and Custom magazine was starting back up and Pat Ganahl approached Jim on doing a series of articles on the restoration on the Merc. Pat helped line up the parts and Jim did most of the restoration himself with the exception of the paint and interior. Junior Conway did the paint and Jim made a trade to have the interior redone.

Model T1 likes this.
  23. krackerjack1951

krackerjack1951

gathering of the kings! still a legend!

Attached Files:

24. Thanks for sharing Rik! Fuck owning them just to see them would be life changing. Two of the most influential customs ever.

25. 2drmerc

2drmerc

These 2 cars are the reason I own a 50 Merc.
    Thanks for posting Rick.