Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '46 - '48 Fleetline / Streamliner differences

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Schnitz, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Schnitz

Schnitz

I have a 1946 Pontiac Streamliner torpedo back. I keep being told that the Fleetline is a completely different car.
    I need floors and the trunk pan. They look extremely similar to me.
    Are they close enough to modify the Fleetline sheet metal or is it a custom job?

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I would guess.........yes. Modify---

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  3. Schnitz

Schnitz

Yes to which option?

4. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

They have different floors. I learned this years ago when looking for interior floor mats. Similar body panels but chassis and floors are different due to way different engine & trans options. Sorry. You may be able piece some Chevy sheet metal together so you don't have to fabricate the entire thing, but you'll likely have some to make some custom since I don't know of any repops for the Pontiac.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I have a friend with a 1946 Olds '66' convertible. He used rust repair patches from a 1946 Chevy and they fitted without issue, same 'A' body series platform.
    • Pontiac '25' and '27' is an 'A' body, same as Chevrolet Stylemaster and Fleetmaster; and
    • Pontiac '26' and '28' is larger 'B' body series; same platform as Olds '76' and '78' , Buick '40' and Cadillac '61'.

6. spooler41

spooler41

Schnits, I belive that Pontiac shared basic bodys with Buick and possibly some small
    body Cads. Check out Buick , they will be close to what you need.

..........................Jack

7. Schnitz

Schnitz

So it looks like I have 'B' body which doesn't share any Chevy parts. It's too bad because they only make Chevy parts.
    I'll have to make due with either a full custom pan or take a chance on a fleetline pan and cut/add to fit.

[​IMG]

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

Rock Auto has Buick 40 series front and rear pans for 53.00 each. They fit the 62 series Cad also :)