Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear mount radiator info / pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cryptic1911, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Hey guys, My dad and I have been thinking of doing up a 28-31 Ford tudor sedan ratrod, and he suggested running the radiator in the back so that the front would be clean. I wasn't totally sold on the idea, but I saw a couple pics that changed my mind. I tried searching for rear mounted radiator posts on here, but didn't get much that was usable. I looked elsewhere online as well, but didn't get a whole lot there either

Anyone got some info / pics of cars without radiators / grill shells? I'd be interested to see how they ducted it in the rear to get the required airflow

Thanks!

2. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

btt. i would like mto see piocs as well.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Despite your misguided desire to build a rat rod, I posted a pic of the rear mounted radiator in my '36. It's actually an auxilliary radiator, there is an aluminum 2 row up front behind the grill shell. It's plumbed with 1/1/4" copper, soldered L's and street L's to make the turns, looks nice and can be polished beautifully. No problem for the stock Caddy 472 water pump moving coolant to the rear, and there's plenty of airflow under the floor. If you're putting a radiator in the back of a sedan, you'd need to isolate it from the cab, and have PLENTY of louvers or screened opening in the back of the body to vent the air.

Unless you're doing a gasser style, or retro drag car look, a street car looks goofy without a radiator. I'm just say'n...

Brian

Attached Files:

4. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i want to have a grill shell but no radiator. full aluminum insert.

5. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Thanks for the post! I was just thinking about this again, and did a search, and stumbled on this thread that I had made. I actually had found one picture of that car the other day on a google images search, and it was pretty much exactly what we were aiming for... really nice to actually see the rest of them to get a better look at it from different angles

6. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I did my roadster pickup with a rear mounted radiator to give it a early drag/comp look. I liked seeing the blower belt thru the grille shell so i decided to run it in the rear. I have lots of pics. Let me know what you're looking to see.

7. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

basically interested in seeing how you plumbed the coolant lines from the motor to the back, did you use a regular water pump / electric? etc. The idea that I had was pretty much how the model a coupe w/ hemi in the previously linked thread did it.. there were AN fittings on the head that had like 1" braided lines to the back, and it ran an electric pump. I've also seen some guys keep the standard water pump, and they just ran hose or copper from the neck on the intake down and to the radiator in back, and then back to the front to the pump. I know there's a few ways to do it, just trying to weigh the options, and see what looks the best

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

here's one more.

Attached Files:

9. You could run a line down both frame rails. Aluminized steel exhaust tubing is the cheap way to go, dairy stainless or aluminum (best cooling) tubing are better. As far as plumbing at the engine, it really won't know the difference. I would get a good water pump with a closed impeller (or an impeller upgrade kit) as you will have some slight pumping loss with the longer lines. There is a radiator cap kit that bolts on to the thermostat housing on the intake, or you could get a water neck with the thermostatic vacuum valve port and put a plug in it. You will need some way of venting top water at the engine to get all the air out of the system...

Do not put ANY rubber hose on to a piece of hard line without some sort of bead or barb on the end to retain the hose clamp. That's just asking to get scalded...

10. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

11. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

12. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

oh man, that twin supercharged ford from littleboy is insane! thanks for the links.. I went through about 40 pages of search results today and didn't see either of those somehow

13. deto

deto

make sure when you build it its extra ratty. that would be the coolest.

14. Cryptic1911

Cryptic1911
    from Windham CT

Thanks for the sarcasm. I wasn't aware of the boards "R" word stigma when I first posted this, otherwise I would have left that word out. I don't think my idea of that style is anywhere near the horror show you're expecting, but either way, lets leave it at that.. I don't want to get a good thread closed over it. Just looking for some information.

Thanks for the info so far guys

15. Redhouse

Redhouse
    from derby, ks

here's my 36' with a speedway 19x30" alum. radiator, and derale 4000cfm fans all mounted horizontal in the bed. works awesome.

Attached Files:

16. luke13

luke13

Scan0002.jpg Scan0003.jpg Scan0004.jpg Scan0005.jpg
    this guy did a real good job of a trunk mounted radiator,at the sacrifice of trunk space, but hes had no trouble with the set up as far as i know.
    far as i know the car is driven regularly, you could also look into water methanol injection if you think it may run too hot.
    ive been looking into fabricating a rear mounted radiator set up for my 34 chev project as ive been given an aluminium radiator but the dimentions are the opposite way round to fit behind the grill.
    i think if you use some 1"3/4 or 2" aluminium pipe with some kind of well placed flex joints and a good coolant or additive like water wetter or something it should work fine,
    plus your adding more water volume to your system as well which wont hurt it, someone before me metioned finned pipes which would also work well i think.
    pictures and story are from 1% mag, ive possibly infringed some sort of copyrite or something, at least capt carson will never find out where i live.
    ha haaa haaaarrr!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014