Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1931 Tudor Sedan rear end width

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MAtthew RIce, Jun 24, 2014.

1. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

Hi, new here and this is my first hot rod build. Its a 1931 Ford Tudor sedan. I've been researching rear end widths for this build and cant seem to find an answer. A lot of folks are channeling their cars which means a wider rear end is necessary for clearance. I am not channeling, it will sit on the frame in its original location. Given that, what width rear end will work? I found a Ford 8.8 with posi and the right ration, but its 54.75" backing plate to backing plate....to narrow?

2. an 8" maverick rear end usually works out good on full fender A's . they are 56-1/2" wide WHEEL MOUNTING SURFACE to WHEEL MOUNTING SURFACE. that is the important width to know .... in my opinion , measuring between the backing plates does nothing

maverick rears are getting harder to fine and bringing some higher $$$. but they are still around...i just bought a nice `75 Maverick rear for $120

3. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

Early 90s Rangers had 8.8s at 56.5 inches mounting surface to mounting surface. I think it only ran that way for a couple years. Check www.Therangerstation.com or google Ford 8.8 axle widths for a better breakdown of what is available. The 8.8 is plenty strong and most can be had for cheap.

4. You're doing it backwards.
    Get the wheels and tires you want, mock them up where you want them, add 1" per side for clearance, and there's your measurement (it'll probably be about 57-58").

The reason you're getting conflicting advice is because different cars use different wheel/tire widths with different offsets, so there's an infinite number of possible combinations.

5. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

Thanks to all for your replies, all very helpful. I guess I figured I'd get the rear end fitted and then get the right offset rims, but as Just Gary pointed out its also easy to do the other way around. Since I have the wheels I'm probably going to use, I will take some measurements when I mock up. I just want to make sure I get the right width so it all looks OK.

6. A 66-77 Bronco rear axle is 58" and it has the 5 1/2 bolt pattern. HRP

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

This is a 4x4 S10 rear with I" adapters to run 5 1/2" bolt pattern.. The rear is 58.5" and with adapters it's 60.5"... 29 sedan almost 008.JPG

8. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

What kind of backspace on your wheels?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Not sure.. They are 5 1/2" wide old Ford Truck wheels however...

10. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

Mocked up my wheels. Understanding I don't have the rear end in so the height is debatable, 58" with about 2" clearance each side is what I'm going with. I know I don't need that much clearance but since my rear is not in the frame I am choosing this as my standard. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

11. If you have decided on a 58" width you have several choices with a Ford rear axle. HRP

As pointed out earlier a 66-77 Bronco rear axle is 58" and it has the 5 1/2 bolt pattern.

58" 1964-1965 Falcon
    58" 1977-1981 Granada/Versailles
    58" 1977-1981 Versailles

12. The sedan body gets wider toward the top of the wheel well so be sure you consider tire bulge. We have a Bronco rear with 15" F-1 wheels and 235x15 tires and have about 3/4" tire sidewall clearance. This car will have full fenders and this combo keeps the tires inside the fenders nicely. Should be good with 8:20x15 bias that will probably end up being used.

13. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

You could do what I'm working on, got a 61 inch F100 axle and shorten it 3 inches off the driver's side tube and buy one cut to length axle. The f100 axles are readily available and cheap!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014