Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cherry bomb vs. Smithy's mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopperbilly, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Porters because you can still get them otherwise I'd say Mellowtones (not sure if they're still being produced).

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Jeff, Thanks.. I see that at least one other person besides me knows how to spell Smitty's correctly
    NOT "Smithys" correct wording is...... "SMITTY"
    difference between SMITTY"S and Cherry bomb?
    Smitty's were steel packed (think Brillo pad without the soap)
    Cherry Bombs were Fiberglass packed. Either one sounded better after a couple weeks....

3. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Steel pack Brockman mello tones. Best sound ever.

4. HotrodCary

HotrodCary

In S.Ga. the big thing used to be was to take the cheap glass packs, get them good and hot, then stick a water hose in the tailpipe. Of course the vehicle had to shut off. Lol. A couple times of doing that and they would blow out the fiberglass packing and sound sweet as hell. A little redneck engineering for you. Lol

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Apparently the MANUFACTURER of SMITHY'S mufflers didn't get your MEMO about how to spell the name of THEIR muffler, because they have been spelling it SMITHY'S for 94 years!

[​IMG]

guthriesmith and bchrismer like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Which if done improperly can cause serious burns. :eek: Not worth the risk IMO
    See post #4
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/30-inch-glass-packs-not-loud-enough.677834/

7. HotrodCary

HotrodCary

Kind of hard to have an improper way to stick a water hose in the tailpipe of a vehicle that is shut off. I was just relating to the different ways people have of modifying mufflers or anything else for that matter, to perform their expectations.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, but at the same time, you and everyone else should be aware that such advice can be dangerous.

9. HotrodCary

HotrodCary

Oh I'm not denying that. Hell half the stuff we do to these vehicles is dangerous. For that matter a lot of these vehicles are dangerous to anybody within 2 blocks. Lol. But that's what makes it fun, if it wasn't for that we would all be driving hybrids. Its all about having fun with your family and friends.

10. HotrodCary

HotrodCary

I didn't intend it as advice. Just a recollection of past practices. I apologize if it was construed as advice.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Advice isn't the right word that's true. Lets just say that it's one of those things that could be a risky practice in a few ways as pointed out in the previous thread.

Like they always told you, it's fun until someone loses an eye ;) :D

12. I ran Smithy's on my Flathead. HRP

13. HotrodCary

HotrodCary

Blue One,
    I just got to a computer and was able to view the link that you sent concerning the water and glass packs. Damn that sounded horrible.I sure meant no harm concerning my post and i hope no one gets hurt in trying what I brought up. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.I apologize if I came across as an ass.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It did sound bad didn't it. No worries, you didn't :cool: