Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hershey AACA Swap Meet/Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zenbone, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Zenbone

Zenbone

Anyone here go to the Hershey, PA AACA fall swap meet? I am thinking of heading up there in October. It is a bit of a trip but looks like a very cool swap meet. If you have gone what are your opinions of it?

2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

There is nothing like it!!! Dont think anymore just do it!!! In my opinion this is the super bowl of swapmeets and original car ,car shows.Plan on starting first thing Weds and spending at least three days walking the grounds, and seeing the race cars run and the car show.If you are looking for a hotel,book something around a half hour or more away to save a ton of parts money and not having to book a four or five night stay.GOOD walking shoes and a big cart to push your goodies around.Its all paved now ,the mud was kind of fun,but its well organized to walk.See ya there!!!

3. j walking

j walking

great show! we go every year. Plan to stay two days to see it all. Prices aren't bad either.

4. 5window

5window

Hell,yes. Greatest show on earth-Pay to park, but free to get in. AACA museum is right around the corner. I typically walk about 14 miles that day. Got to go early in the week for the market, but Saturday for the judged show. Take a raincoat, water bottle, camera, sun hat, snacks, extra socks, quarters to tip the bathroom attendants, raincoat, forget the wagon, you can hire a BoyScout to haul the big stuff, comfortable shoes-did I mention a raincoat?

Do a search-there are lots of threads on this. Next closest thing I've found to Hershey is Charlotte-but it's not really close. But, hey, do both. See you there.

5. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I've been a few time in my life, there's nothing like it. If it doesn't rain, you will have a great time!!
    Plan 2-3 days. It's the largest antique auto swap meet in the USA, that I can think of.

6. daddylama

daddylama

i haven't been in a loooong time... but it's still the best i've been to. no other antique auto swaps compare.

7. Been going since I was a kid! Im a local and very lucky to have the best swap meet in the country in my town. NO BRAINER! JUST GO AND HAVE A BLAST!!

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

This year will be my 45th in a row, nothing like it, we always have a good time. Stop by our spot C4J 41-42 and you can leave your parts with us for the day, this saves you loosing time walking back to your car and missing out on other things. We just got back from the LARS and the swap meet out there has a lot less parts than Hershey. Bob

9. I've been wondering what your thoughts on LARS vs Hershey would be, Bob- I always thought (from the pics) that LARS was the goldmine of goldmines, but it's good to know that Hershey is still tops :D!!!

10. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

I haven't made it up in a couple of years but if you have to opportunity to go, you definitely should. One bit of advice- you will not be able to walk it in one day, and even two days is a stretch to see everything. If possible, plan to get there on Wednesday or Thursday and stay through Saturday. Quite a few of the vendors start packing up and heading out Friday evening and Saturday morning. And make sure you have time to stop by the AACA Museum on your way out, and also make the short drive down to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in York Springs, which is about 40 minutes away and open Friday-Sunday and well worth the drive.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. If you're looking for antique car parts, the Hershey AACA meet is the place to be. Literally, people from all over the world come to that meet looking for parts. Fedcospeed and 5window summed it up pretty well. When it was in the fields, it was about 400 acres. It's a little less than that now, I believe, as it is all on the blacktop now, and some of the fields that were previously used are still there but empty. It'll still take several days to cover it all. I don't know if 5window mentioned it:D, but invariably it will rain at least one of those days. When it rains, it usually pours, but that shudn't be problem for someone from your area. If you have youngsters coming along, Hershey Park is at the far end of the swap meet grounds with lots of rides and amusements. They close sometime in Oct, so they may or may not be open during the time of the swap meet. Tours of the Hershey's Chocolate factory used to be given. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. As noted previously, the AACA Museum is a short ride from the swap meet and well worth the visit. Posies Hot Rod Shop is located in Hummelstown, also a short drive from the swap meet. I've driven from Crystal River to Baltimore in a day and Hershey is about another 1.5 to two hours from Baltimore, so it's possible to make the trip in a day, if you leave early and you're not wasting time. Parking at the swap meet is usually $10 a day. So, make your plans now to do Hershey in the fall. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

12. oldolds

oldolds

Bring clothes for every kind of weather. I have been ther in ever combination of weather. 30*-80*+, Rain from a shower to last year 9 inches in a day! Lots of food vendors these days, but, I would bring some water and energy type things to keep you going. I sell there but, they tell me parking can be a mile walk to get in, so bring a cart. It is about a half mile walk across the longest part of the swap meet. (just a guess) . Buy a directory for the map so you don't miss anything.

13. Wear comfortable shoes..........I repeat, wear comfortable shoes.:D

14. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

Like others have said get your motel now. We've stayed at the campground and they run a bus to all of the entrances, tip the driver. You would be amazed at the stuff you'll see on the bus. We have a space now, trying to get a double. My wife enjoys going, loves working the space. The Hershy visitor center has decent meals at a fair price too! Tylenol is your friend at night after walking all day.

15. hfracing53

hfracing53

Fall Hershey is a must see to believe . Pretty much , nothing else compares to it . Bring comfortable shoes . Takes a couple of LONG days to cover it all . Have a pen & paper to write down space numbers , so you can find them again . Everything on nice LEVEL BLACK TOP . No hills to climb . And No mud to drag your feet threw .

16. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

One of the best.last went in 07 to get galaxie parts.Found what i needed!

17. 5window

5window

Waterproof shoes. It might rain. Wait, that's not right. It will rain.

18. 41 C28

41 C28

Hershey is the mother and daddy of all swap meets. If you're not accustom to a lot of walking you better start training now.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

We had a GREAT time at LARS, but it wasn't what I expected, way too much open unused space IMO. I did a lot of walking without anything to look at, sure stuff was in the distance, but nothing at your feet like the Hershey swap meet. We'll be back at LARS in 2015, I found stuff in actually needed for two projects, saw one old friend from New Jersey I hadn't seen in 15 years. Hershey week is still my favorite time of the year. Bob

ctfordguy likes this.