Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical locking hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by capterik, Jun 23, 2014.

1. capterik

capterik
    from Florida

How do you lock the hood on your old truck, or car. Thinking I would like to park my truck outside from time to time if I go somewhere, but unfortunately do not believe most people are honest anymore, so looking for ideas on how to secure it.
    Thanks

2. I used to have a '66 Mustang. I would drop a 5/8 inch bolt into the hole in front of the hood release lever and park against a wall. The lever I am talking about is the one that moves back to release the hood. I also had an alarm and a fake battery ground cable in case anyone tried to cut it.

Charlie Stephens

3. squirrel

squirrel

Hasn't been a problem for me, and I've been driving old stuff with external hood latches for a long time.

4. I'm with Jim, regardless of what you do to prevent anyone from opening the hood,if they want to the will. HRP

5. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've always had an interior hood release and some sort of alarm. It wasn't always a sophisticated alarm though.

6. If you could find one of these rare pieces you could lock it from inside. HRP

[​IMG]

7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL

I don't think I'd advertise what the lever was. Normally I hide them up under the dash.

8. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

I've seen 70's Ford trucks with locking hood release's, not sure if it was factory or aftermarket but that would work for you.

9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I wouldn't worry too much. Most people of "uncertain" character who would want to mess with your ride are probably too stupid to figure out a mechanical outside hood latch.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My brother used a chain and padlock. K.I.S.S.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, a chain run from the hood down to the front crossmember with a padlock on it is "traditional". :) In my early days I did that on a few cars where I didn't want anyone to know what I was running.

If you want to be really swift, marine stores sell 1/4 inch chain that is plastic coated so it won't scratch anything.

Don

12. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

On my early falcon i drilled a hole behind the lever part of the hood latch and on the odd time i have to leave it somewhere i put a small padlock through the hole .Hope i never lose the key

13. My '68 suburban (I know, it's OT..) has a bracket that is attached to the hood, has a chain maybe 3-4 inches long and on the radiator support the other part of the lock. I'll take a pic tomorrow if it sounds interesting.

14. I drilled the latch striker under the latch panel on my '54 panel. 1/4 bar stock with a washer welded to it, stops the hood from flying open (I hear a common problem with the early F100) and makes a good hood lock too. The underside of the panel holds it in place and you just slip your hand in above the grill to remove it.
    hood pin-3.jpg
    hood pin-2.jpg
    hood pin-4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  15. 2manyseats

2manyseats
    from London, UK

Along the lines of 1oldtimer, I drilled and pinned the release with an R clip. Got the idea off a chevy site. It also stops the hood popping open at speed which seems to happen with tri-fives. Pin in open position as you can't see much with hood closed, but its easy to get your fingers in to pull the pin out IMG_4382.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. I used a chain and padlock for years before I found and aftermarket in car release.

The chain saved me one night. Was leaving work, 11:00pm, and the hood was not down all the way. So I made sure the hood was latched. The guy that was parked across the street had his battery stolen.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Mine is pretty simple, and not sure it's what some people would do on a nice ride. On my daily driver '69 Suburban I have an alarm system, but someone set it off one night when they opened the hood. Not sure if they were trying to steal the battery, or disarm the alarm, as they pulled the battery cable also.
    Anyway, they left, and I got spooked. So I bolted a chain to a hole in the hood framework, and made it long enough to drop down to the frame below. I close the hood and padlock the chain to the frame. If anyone has ever come back to give it another try, I don't know about it, as the chain has kept them from opening the hood so far. Just takes a second to reach under and unlock it, so it's an easy operation that I don't mind. It sits outdoors all year round, so it needs to be safe from the crooks. I get guys asking me if I want to sell it on a weekly basis, and that is worrisome too.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I guess l lead a sheltered life, living where no one messes with my cars....and never having had any trouble when traveling with them.

Neat ideas you all have.

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I use a plastic wrapped cable, a couple of old Chevy U-joints bolted in place and a padlock...the hood can only be opened enuff to slip your hand in to unlock it...keeps unwanted fingers out and the most important part, the hood safely latched down at speed on the highway...

R-

20. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

On my first 57 Chev. I used a chain and a big Yale padlock. Worked great, when the car was stolen the seats, Vette steering wheel, S/W instruments, Sun Tach and tools in the trunk were all taken. The engine stuff was still there, but 3 lobes on the cam were rounded when I got it back. I guess they wanted to teach me a lesson for locking it up. By the way it was stolen by a friend who had a key to the car but no padlock key.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Pray you don't have a backfire and a carb fire.

22. capterik

capterik
    from Florida

Great reply's, and some great ideas, Thanks. I wish that I didn't have to think of it, but unfortunately I have learned from past problems, to worry about it now before I have the problem. I run my stuff with kill switch as well as a lockout, but the worry is for parts to disappear, whether its a battery, or the corvette valve covers, or other parts. I will post what ends up working for me, any other ideas, keep them coming.

23. Here's the unit on my suburban ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404063355.937737.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404063400.723567.jpg

That pin chained to the hood fits the hole in the base and gives enough room to get at the key, but that's about all. I don't see a brand on it though. Sorry.

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

24. Joe R

Joe R

Know this is an old post but had this issue and came up with some nice solutions that will hopefully help others. Have an old classic I'm driving as my daily ride and one of my biggest concerns was the hood. My son came up with a cable lock that's mounted to the car and installed a hood pin that ties into my alarm. The cable feeds through a ring mounted to the underside of the hood. Looks clean and even matched the lock color to my car. The cable allows the hood to lift just enough to trigger the alarm. Once triggered the alarm will send an alert to the remote up to a mile away. Alarm has a battery backup so even if they cut the cable lock and battery that thing is still singing. Installed multiple kills switches, they need to find every one of them if they try to take it. Added LoJack with alerting so if my car moves without the LoJack token on my key ring it sends me a text and calls me. Nothing is 100% but if someone wants under my hood or my car they will have to work hard and the chances of getting caught are pretty good.

Attached Files:

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I know everyone says, "if a thief wants your car bad enough, they're going to get it". I agree in making it as hard and noisy for them to do, and I NEVER tell ANYONE what I've done to make it that way. But, it's always nice to know what others have come up with, and I have incorporated some of those ideas along with mine. Like the guy a few posts back said, it was a friend who tried to take his; trust NO ONE. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Most that would steal don't know that its able to be opened from outside the vehicle. I used to worry... but realized people are dumb. I have good insurance in case I run into a smart thief.

27. Here you go, HRP

[​IMG]