Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Kool thanks and yes buy primitive camping I mine burn out hippy.

Hey Scott were you the one that started talk about cooling system woos?
    I have been trying to drain the coolant out of my car and having problems getting the drain plugs out cant fine a 6 point socket to say my soul.

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Yeah Saltflats,
    I was having all kinds of cooling troubles until I ran it a few times and purged and flushed the scaly,rusty goo out of it.
    It runs super chilly now,barely getting the needle on the gauge off the "C" a 16th of an inch.
    Now charging problems are my Albatross....lol

What are you cooling issues about?Same shit,just needs to be flushed?

Look Ma!I made a funny!Shit....Flushed....!

BA DA BA!

:D

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Man the time is flying sure hope to have my motor ready this week to slide in the Willys next weekend so I can have a couple test and tunes before meltdown I took a pic of the truck today outside my shop with the new tires I got from towel city tire check it out I think it's definately gonna look the part might not run but it will look badass

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403488189.485386.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was just trying to drain the coolant and switch to water and my 12 point socket was trying to round off the drain plugs. Just seemed funny all the cooling system problems.

You had it right on the flushing this turd.

5. Did you try to locate impact sockets? Sometimes metric sockets can be an intermediate size for rusted/worn heads. Those plugs are 1/4" tapered pipe thread (9/16 hex head), so a good solid whack in line with the plug towards the engine (before trying to loosen them) will help out greatly. I know they are hard to get at...

Keep thrashing... Most of us are thrashing on our rides too!

6. 62Furious

62Furious

Saxxon I know how your feeling I was chasing leeks for weeks on my resto that I have been working on. I thing I have it sealed now.

7. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

Class Reunion-

We will re-write this paragraph in the final communication. Each racer will be given a sticker to put on the vehicle that they will use to re-enter the pits. This will allow you to return via the racer entrance and get back to your pit spot. To ensure that we can accomodate all racers in a comfortable manner this year, we need to keep any extra vehicles out of the pits.

8. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

No need to eat crow Ric, that is a mighty mouse you built and it makes plenty good power........
    That ol willy wopper tune I came up with just is not falling into place as well as anticipated soooooo, we both may have crow on the menu.................
    No details but this racin stuff car be a bitch...........unexpectaintly.....a bitch

9. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Cool looking Willys PU, look forward to checking it out at the track, not long now:)

10. You can also heat em up a bit with a little propane torch, then melt some candle/parafin wax into the threaded area of the plug right at the block. The wax gets in and provides a nice thread lube to help loosen them up.

11. Danny G

Danny G

What rear end gear do you plan on running in the 56?

12. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

20140623_233520.jpg
    Rot roh! Lotsa empty space where there's supposed to be lotsa parts...how many days left??? On second thought, maybe it's better if we don't know!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't worry Marc,if a hack like me can get a car together in time,I'm sure you and your Brother can "pull a rabbit outta the hat" too. :)

As long as it's the same stuff goin' back into the hole,that came outta that hole in the first place,it isn't so bad.
    Just remember to have more attention to detail than I did,and assign specific tasks to specific people....(that's how my tranny mounts didn't get tightened the first time,along with a few other DOH moments).

Looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing Yesterday's Child scare lots of little kids and old people. :D

Scott

55belairx2 likes this.
  14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Hey Marc...24 working days left...tell Ric that means .8 months.lol

55belairx2 likes this.
  15. I just pooped in my pants! The engine should be in tonight & hopefully the trans, no later than tomorrow (having a little throwout bearing issue. Danny G., we have a 4.30 in it now, and a 4.88 in the "staging area". If we have time we'll put em in, if not, were rolling 4.30's this year. Your correct Scott, most everything should go back together pretty easy

16. powrshftr

powrshftr

Hey Ric,
    Those 4:30's should work just fine with that gnarly small block...
    Your Dad had his car working pretty good with a "tallish" 4:11 gear if I remember correctly from a previous conversation:)

Scott

PS:
    Drove my Son to his grade 8 graduation in the car all lettered up last night,gave it a good little 1st-2nd dig in front of the hotel when we arrived,so all his buddies would be in awe of his......awesomeness,and so all their hipster doofus,Prius driving parents could get stressed out.
    As I was walking in the door past them I loudly said: "Yup,it's got a carbon footprint so big it looks like it's wearing snowshoes or something.."
    That oughtta get their tree-hugging panties in a knot. :D

Scott

17. Stopped by McLeod on the way to work, as usual Lee Kilcoyne took excellent care of our needs, so Jerico is in, Doug Nash back to bench warmer status.

55belairx2 likes this.
  18. Scott, the ole man also had a 60lb. flywheel, our entire set up is only 35lbs, and thats heavy by todays standards.

19. Danny G

Danny G

In the 60s I tore up more stuff with a 60 pound wheel that it didn't take me long to switch back to a light wheel

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hey Ric that nash would look much better behine the 509 in my chevelle than worming your bench.

21. We gotta keep "Doug" around for awhile, until we hit a lottery so we can afford a spare "Jerry".

22. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

"Doug's" goin' in the black 55 ...remember man???

23. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Thanks Scott! I thought it would be fun to post a pic with all the empty real estate, especially since we're inside a month! Actually, we're still pretty optimistic. Got the car back from bone surgery with Dr. Mike @ Bullet Fabrication on Friday. He did a great job fixin' up some of her joints, strengthening some of her bones and installing some training wheels among other things. She'll still be showin' some of the scars from surgery because we're not gonna have time to pretty up all the stuff we originally wanted to. Priorities have shifted away from appearance and toward makin' sure we get it ready to go down the track! Got it unloaded and in the garage on jack stands. Removed the trans so Ric could get it over to McLeod and get the correct throw out bearing, which sounds like Lee took care of this morning. Last night got the "mock-up" motor out and got the clutch & flywheel off of it and ready to install on the 410, which got a major attitude adjustment from Bryce @ Dr. J's! (He gave it a much worse attitude! :)) Ric should be pickin' the motor up today. We even had time last night to put the new rear "shoes" on and see how they look...we were both dying to try 'em on the car. He had the driver side on already when I got there. I think we both agree, the width fits the car much better! Like Ric said, hopefully we'll have the new heart in tonight and maybe even the "Jerry". Stay tuned for more updates if time permits...they may be few and far between because we'll be concentrating on getting it done more than documenting it! Seems like maybe that's a common theme since the chatter on this thread has dropped off as the date draws closer...

24. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Marc & Ric-

I love to see all of the work you guys are doing.

I have the motor from the Okie ripped apart to take care of a few issues that popped up while running against Falfa at the Hunnert Car Heads Up. I hope to have it put back together this weekend. I think everyone is busy pounding on their cars as well.

I will have it put back together for sure to make sure I am able to "okie doke" Falfa at the Meltdown. He got a little taste at the Hunnert, so I know tha he is working hard as well.

25. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Just got off the phone with Ric, he just pulled up at Dr. J's to pick up the motor...

26. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Be careful around that bitchin' paint!

27. Engine is binging to get inside the Ole Ladies hide. We'll be up late again tonight, gett'n her ready for the North & South fight. So go flog yer Northern junk.., OR ITS GONNA BE A BLOODY SOUTHERN SLAM DUNK!
    PS. I'm nawing on a 9/16 open/box combo wrench, foaming at the mouth, with my eyes bugged out, and my aorta vein pulsing outta my neck!..,oh and I gotta a "paint sale" Freeway sign green '56 Chevy in my left hand, stroking its roof with my left thumb, while I type this with my right pinky finger (Richard Simmons taught me that)!

28. Hey, has anyone seen my bad voices, I seemed to have misplaced them..,

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Last call for the EVIL TWIN "Byron or Bust" Shirt orders! They are going to print Thursday and when their gone their GONE! Please PM me if you want one delivered at the Races!

Attached Files:

30. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Bringing some California Sunshine to Byron, Elizabeth Mayree will be the Evil TWIN's Back Up girl @ the Meltdown Drags!

Attached Files: