Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8ba flathead Electronic distributor kits.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamie.r, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jamie.r

jamie.r

Electronic distributor HELP.. I'm sick of mucking about with my old points system.. I'm finding the timing is very inconsistent .. it's all over the show.. just wondering if there is a kit ? And Wats the best way to fix this?

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just been down that road with an MSD ready to run, 1500 Mls the module died . Apparently common ish. Borrowed another MSD ready to run ( new) funny thing is the two distributor caps would not interchange . There has to be a story about off shore manufacture copies in here some where. Oh yes on an 8ba.
    Have now gone to a new chev mallory with vacuum advance , machined and calibrated to the flathead, and to a mallory coil and ignition box. Now if anything dies we can simply hook up the condenser to the points and we are away again.

3. PM GMC_Bubba... He did my Distrib, worry free after that..he know his stuff..

4. jamie.r

jamie.r

Being in kiwi land can be a mish to bring in parts, sometimes easier to innovate abit.. been thinking of the hei chev electronic distributor could modify to suit my old flathead, I've got a spare distributor to strip/parts.. surely not that bad to do.. Il keep ya posted

5. If you plan on using stock dist as your base,not a great idea.The Henry Ford dist has vacuum advance with NO centrifugal advance(weights). With no centrifugal weights,the ign system will operate only fair and will not advance at a good rate to get max increase in timing as the engine speeds up.There are better distributors out there than stocker, and that's why most people go to aftermarket such as Mallory or others. Electronic add-ons will function,but just not at a great rate of advance and the flathead can benefit from a better rate of advance in the timing department.

6. old drag dad

old drag dad
    from texas/pa

I got an electronic Distributor from Speedway About twelve years ago.
    I was told by Old flathead jack that they were no good.
    Makes me wonder what else he is wrong about.
    I think it was made by Mallory, but to be truthful it has ban so long I don't remember.
    I didn't want to have to get a distributor and an MSD box too.
    Take care.

7. falconj

falconj
    Member Emeritus

I am still running my Mallory electronic distributer, that I got from Speedway about five years ago, I've had no problems with it, was easy to fit, I think I had to buy a gear from Speedway also and fit to the shaft of the dissy and that is for the 8BA motor

8. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Early 1980's Chrysler electronic dissys are easy to rework to fit an 8ba. they work great. e mail me at springgrange@personainternet if you want more info.

9. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

10. flatjack

flatjack

The modified Chev distributor is the way to go.

11. I've been running a MSD ready to run for 7 years and 18,000 miles trouble free in my 8BA!!!

12. jamie.r

jamie.r

Hi all, after doen abit of research I found the hei 350chev distributor could modify to fit my 8ba flathead, after abit of machining change gear drive and change mounting bracket iv got the hei distributor in and BOY WAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I'm totally amazed how good it goes now.
    Il put some pics up soon..

13. jamie.r

jamie.r

Here's some pics....

Attached Files: