Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical overspray question.... how do I?????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by evobuilder, Jun 22, 2014.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

so I had my coupe painted and (no matter how hard the painter tried).... there is some overspray.... its all good, but I am wondering.... what is the best way to get rid of overspray? Do I just douche everything... mineral spirits, paint stripper or carb cleaner? Does anyone have better advice?

2. overspray on what? glass/chrome/paint/tires?

3. Yes, where is the overspray? If it is something nice like another car, a clay bar will get rid of it. If it is a snowblower..................well, dad still has a dusting of light blue on his from 04 and my touring build. ;)

4. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not a painter, but I do know how to prevent overspray from getting on other parts of the car...cover everything with cloths, then cover it with plastic.

I don't know how to keep it from getting all over my shop, aside from getting it on someone else's shop instead. but then you never know when it will get done.

the stuff is a bitch to remove, sorry I'm too late to help.

5. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Ha! try spraying awl-grip, that stuff stays stickey and airborne for a day and a half!!
    Like veryone else has asked.....what surface??

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have used brass wool on glass and chrome.

7. evobuilder

evobuilder

most of the overspray is on the tires and on some of the suspension and rear diff.... not on new paint, glass, etc.

8. I've had good luck with acetone on a set of original paint guide headlights with primer overspray all over them.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

3M pads, and rattle cans. Wesleys whitewall cleaner, and S.O.S pads for the tires. I would stay away from lacquer thinner. It will work good, but will dry out the rubber.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is paint on paint that you want to keep, you may need to polish it off with rubbing compound.

11. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Don't use acetone on paint, you'll be back to bare steel before you know it, on chrome and tires it will be fine. Try prepsol on painted surfaces, it may take a bit of rubbing, but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to remove.

Scotty.

12. My headlights seem fine. Did I just get lucky?

13. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Yes, very lucky. I use acetone daily in the fibreglass industry. 2k takes a bit more work to remove than single pack but it will take it off.

Scotty

Hitchhiker likes this.
  14. Oh man! good to know! It wiped off the oerspray really easy and I immediately washed the lights.... Maybe that's what saved them.

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One way to cut down on over spray is to use an HVLP Turbine 2 or 3 stage system when spraying.

I have seen guys spend $8,000 dollars on a high end paint job and still have over spray on the under the hood engine parts and this was with a down draft system that was working.

The guy loved the paint job but when he ran is hand over the headers and other engine parts it was like sandpaper.

Jimbo

16. Diavolo

Diavolo

Goof off. My gf had her house vandalized because of her sons antics. He spent the afternoon with a couple of bottle of goof off and paper towels cleaning the garage doors. No more spray paint and no paint removed from the doors. Even years later they are fine with no indication where the paint was.

17. nonipshere

nonipshere

Just use lacquer thinner on the tires and then put some tire silicone on them afterwards. Regarding the frame, If it is the standard black color and isn't entirely visible, just use a touch up spray can for gloss, semi gloss or flat.

18. evobuilder

evobuilder

I just decided to use scotchbrite pads, goof-off, acetone and carb cleaner (depending on the area). Worked like a charm.... if it "over-worked" an area.... I just did the whole area and called it a custom finish :)