Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Chevy Fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdrodder, May 23, 2014.

1. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Well ive been a lurker long enough on here, now i guess its time to share. Couple weeks back i was looking for another car to make into a daily driver so i can pull my 58 chevy fleetside off the road and go through everything like i want. I first bought a 68 suburban which i quickly resold just cause i couldnt get inspired enough to even start on it. Then i found this fleetline not far away from me. Went to go see it and was expecting the usual shit but suprisingly the car was untouched except some small trim peices taken off here and there.

Story that came with the car was that it came from san antonio and the orignal owner painted it black, converted it to a floor shift, added a edelbrock dual carb intake and split the orignal manifold. Then he had 2 blow outs and parked it in the field. From there it went to el paso and sat in a garage and from there went to houston to just sit in a garage again. Then i came along. Struck a deal and the next weekend it went to its new home.

It has a bit more rust then i was able to see when i bought it but nothing to major. Plan is to go put in a 235, t-5 combo, lowering, go through the whole frame and suspension, do some sort of temporary interior. fix the rust and then drive it daily while i work on my truck. All easier said then done right. Progress will be slow due to funds and time but progress will come.

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. belair

belair

Congrats. I have a 48 Fleetline with a 46 grille. It has a 250, th350 and a 57 Chevy rear end. I really loved driving it. Got hit in the front, am slowly getting it back on the road. The T-5 wil be a nice upgrade for the 235. best of luck with it.

3. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Well here is the first update. Been spending time tracking down parts. Managed to get a couple parts ordered for it from chevs of the 40s including some new rubber motor mount bushings for the front, spare tire tub, coil, and some shop manuals. Also was able to get a wiring kit. Today was the first real day where ive been able to do something. The little filler pan between the taillight panel and the main floor pan was rusted out. So i went ahead cut out the rust and started patching it. I still have a lot of fine tuning to do to the patch before it even ready to be welded in but im starting to make progress. Before it gets welded in the whole area will be blasted clean and sealed with epoxy.

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

4. mack57

mack57

Awesome project! I'm working on a '48 coupe & chevs if the 40's is priceless!
    How is the steering box?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

6. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

thanks guys. Mack47 the steering is pretty worn, i can do about a 1/4 turn before it gets any reaction. I already got my rebuild kit for the steering box(doesnt come with a sector shaft of worm gear) but thats something ill tackle when i start on the suspension. I still have to order my front end rebuild kit and my lowering peices for it. Once all those parts and peices area here ill start on that project.

jcmarz thanks for sharing that site.

7. mack57

mack57

Awesome! How do you lower using the orig suspension?

8. mack57,

There are a LOT of ways to lowering the car in the original suspension. You can put lowering blocks in the rear and some will cut 1 - 1/2 coils out of the springs in the front.

Another way to lower the rear is to order reversed spring mounts from Eaton spring or bring your springs to a spring shop and have them do it. Some will remove a couple of leaves in the rear springs at the same time to lower it even more.

Another option for the front is get lowered spindles from a few different manufacturers. Fatman fabricators comes to mind, but they aren't the only ones that have them.

I have some decisions to make on my 48 Fleetline suspension, LOL!

I hope this info helps.

9. mack57

mack57

Priceless!! Thank you!!
    I am anxious to see your Fleetline as you get into it! Thanks again!
    Mack

10. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

mack57. There are quite a few ways as 206tee explained. For the rear you can also have your springs flattened out by a spring shop(i had this done on my 58 chevy truck and it brought the truck down 6 inches and istill have stock spring streght). I probably wouldnt get 6 inches out of the fleetline but it will bring it down some. For the front there is also a kit avalible for about $100 that moves your coil mount in your lower control arm down which gives your about 2 inches lowring. I think its sold by jamco. Another way that i have seen done on a fleetline on chevybombs is channeling the front crossmember which will also lower the car. If your gonna keep the 6 banger though it will need some mods to the engine mounts on the crossmember.

My own personal plan will be to order the dropped uprights and dropped steering arms from fatman through gambino customs. If its not low enough i may cut out 1 coil. The back the plan is to flatten the springs some and run some blocks.

11. mack57

mack57

Thanks SDRodder! I'm thinking 2" in the front will get it where I'd like it. Thank You!