Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage For those who put car show advertisements in peoples cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Make sure they land on the floor,was at the Road Rocket Rumble in Indy today and someone put a advertisement in my car and it landed on my seat. After sitting on my brand new seat for a few hours the ink came off on my seat when I lifted it off,drove home pissed thinking my new seat was ruined by the ink but was able to get it off. From now on the windows will be up unless I am sitting in the car so be carefull when putting those car show advertisements in peoples cars,I came close to calling who was putting on the show and raising hell but wont have to.

Model T1 likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man. Going to shows has really become a pain in the ass. No pun intended.

3. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I was chopping a top on a 34' Ford truck when a fire broke out from within the bottom of the door when welding the window frames back on. How in the hell did a hand full of show flyers end up in there is beyond me?

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Also putting them under your wiper, they have to lean over or against your paint.JW

5. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

So Jeff, did you get the ink off?

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He said he got it off.

7. I'm with you on this one..we came back to the wagon at the Downtown Fathers day Show and there were several flyers on the seat,,It was hot and obviously someone had a bottle of water in one hand a flyers in the other.

After gathering them up off the white seat,there was black ink smeared on the seat...Brenda & I have most of it cleaned up but if you look hard you can still see a faint outline. :mad: HRP

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Special Ed

Special Ed

I had some moron who runs the local swapmeets down here throw one of his event flyers inside my just-finished topless car at a three day car show at the beach. I don't hang around my car very much at shows, so I wasn't aware of anything being tossed inside. His flyers were bright pink. We get a little dew here overnight sometimes during the summertime. My seats were newly covered in creme colored iguana-patterned Naugahyde. They were permanently stained. I tried everything including bleach.
    If you're gonna throw crap inside somebody's ride, please attempt to have it land on the floor ...

Model T1 likes this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not diminishing the severity of the act, but why wouldn't you cover a topless car, if it's going to sit over night in an environment that may promote dew?

I don't sit behind my car, but I'll walk by it often. I've had stuff tossed in it and had a shift knob removed. Slowly, but surely, going to shows is becoming a regular pain in the ass. My main reason to go to a show was to meet like minded people who share a common interest. Now, I don't look forward to meeting or hanging out with a lot of the people I meet. It seems that car shows are becoming a circus and I can't stand the circus because of the damn clowns.

I repeatedly see the same damn cars and hear the same damn stories. Upon arrival, I'm bored after an hour. Navarro's show was an exception. I guess the assholes didn't hear about it.

And now..... those damn flyers. Was all that a "rant"? Good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    gas pumper and Model T1 like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess most car guy know about car shows and swap meets any way so I think they should throw there trash in the trash can.

FalconEddie1964 likes this.
  11. We went to a cruse in last night for a couple of hours and even though it was hotter than the hinges of Hell I rolled the windows up...whoever the official stick a flyer in you car at the local cruse-in guy or gal opted to omit our wagon last night.nothing,nada..:) HRP

12. Special Ed

Special Ed

Because I was at a car SHOW, Fred. I don't typically cover my car when I'm showing it ... :rolleyes:
    I'm not afraid of a little moisture. It gets far wetter when it's being washed!

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You also said, "OVER NIGHT". Did I mis-read that?:rolleyes: If the dew was present when you arrived, maybe you could have wiped it off with a little more frequency.

14. Would be nice if all the flyers were offered to you when you drove in or placed in a stand around the food stalls to eliminate the car interference thing. JW

Scooterville and Model T1 like this.
  15. Play it safe and leave your car in the trailer, that way it won't get messed up and you won't have to gripe on the HAMB.

jazz1, 41 C28, nelson845 and 3 others like this.
  16. I have mixed feelings about those fliers I guess. Sure it lets you know about upcoming events but, most of that stuff is on the internet or word of mouth from other car folks. I try to sweep back by my car a few times during a show or cruise night for no other reason than to pick up the 5 or 6 fliers thrown helter skelter in my interior. At that point I glance at them and rule out the ones that I for sure won't be going to attend and find the nearest trash can for the rest of them (make that most of them). Everyone seems to want to put on a car show to drum up business even though they don't have a clue about cars or how to have a car show. It's usually something like Skippy's Laundromat 1st Annual Car Show and Clothes Wash even though Skippy's has only 6 parking spots in front of his establishment. Truthfully I think they could spend their "promotional" money more wisely.

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. A lot of flyers we get are from some organization that has decided to have a car show to make money for their organization or a pet project.

Others are from the local dog groomer or the pittllo's pizza joint offering discounts and they don't have a clue.

I don't condone violence but it's never gonna stop until some one dots a eye! :rolleyes: HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Special Ed

Special Ed

No Fred, you read what I wrote correctly. As I said, it was a three day event. It was parked on the lawn, and remained there for the length of the event, so ... YES, it was there overnight. Actually two nights. I don't carry a hygrometer with me to accurately measure the dewpoint or humidity levels at shows. If it gets wet, I dry it. If it isn't wet, I typically don't wipe my car down much, if ever, at shows. I drive it there, park it, and when I go home I get in it, and I drive it on home. Thank you for your concern.

Texas57 and Model T1 like this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. That's a lot clearer.

20. Putting a paper im my car rly pisses me off, they have no right to go and put an ad in someone elses car, this is especially big in Staten Island when sometimes u get up to 6 papers. most of the time I just shut my windows

21. .................Sadly sometimes I don't have that option.;)

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. My seats are white and that crap does stain. My old car ain't much, but it is still mine and I don't want the seats stained period.
    Later,
    Dick

23. Model T1

Model T1

Well this is a new one to me! I usually enjoy getting most fliers so I will know what car shows may be coming up nearby. I don't care so much for those "free wash at the laundromat and discounts at the pet groomers" since I have no animals and wife does the laundry at home. But there are usually cans for trash at those car shows for trash.
    Also we have been know to throw fliers for our club in cars. Don't ever remember anyone getting pissed. In fact many thanked us. Maybe because my cars and most around here don't have zillion dollar enteriors, no one seems to mind. Perhaps the printers in your areas are using newspaper ink that comes off easily.
    But since I now know that some inks stain seats I'll throw my fliers on the floor where some people apparently have in the past. It costs money and takes time to have fliers printed to help car guys learn about shows. Some of you guys are getting too old and crabby to be going to car shows.
    Get off my lawn boy!:confused:

Maybe on those "do not touch my car", "do not open doors", "do not sit on tailgate" and other warning posters you should add "do not put fliers on my seats or I'll kill ya.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Flyers are a tough thing to like. On one hand I like knowing what is coming up, but I hate the huge stacks of flyers left in my cars. SInce they both have black interior it's not an ink thing. It's a nuisance to get ready to leave, and after tossing everything in the trunk I find flyers all over the interior. Have to stop and pick them up, and unlock the trunk again to toss them in.
    I may start rolling the windows up, or putting a box on the ground for all the flyers to be dropped in.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's probably it. As I've gotten older, I have gotten more protective of my stuff. I haven't had a flier stain my seat, but I get where it would be an issue if one did.

People work hard and spend hard earned dollars to have their stuff. Whether or not it means something to someone else isn't the point. Maybe the flier issue is just a surface issue. It all boils down to the increasing disregard a lot of people seem to have for other folks property.

A month ago, a young lady at the grocery store, suddenly put her car in reverse and backed into my '79 Cutlass. It pushed the bumper back a bit, but nothing serious. She told me it's nothing, jumped in her car and took off. I pursued, but the Olds just isn't a high pursuit vehicle:D. The issue was, she honestly didn't give a damn about me or my property.

It's like the long threads on the HAMB about people leaning or flopping down on someone else's ride. Does it hurt it? No. But damn it, it's someone else's property and should receive a bit of respect. Not CARE. RESPECT.

When I see a flier tossed in my car, I usually scan over it and then, I'm left looking for a place to toss it. Then, I spend a few minutes checking to see if something in my car is missing or disturbed. That's how I discovered I had a missing shift knob once.

The fliers that get handed to me, I read, fold up and put in my pocket. Chance's are, I'll get home, check my calendar and make a point to show up.

So, maybe it is old age expecting another human being to behave with respect for other people's stuff. BUT...... the NEXT time those damn kids are on my lawn, out come's the water hose and pellet gun.:D

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I also hate those flyers that accumulate during a show. Even if they put them on the floor I still have to deal with them before I leave because in an open roadster they are going to blow out as soon as I get moving. I either find a garbage can or tuck them under my seat to dispose of them when I get home.

I think it is pretty bold to just reach in and drop some paper into someone's car without asking. :mad: I don't think I have ever looked at one of those flyers and was enticed to actually attend their event.

Don

27. Model T1

Model T1

I agree with this tfeverfred. People and car shows are nothing like they used to be. As someone mentioned to put fliers on the wiper they usually have to lean against the car, and pull the wiper out of it's parked position. A lot of potential damage can happen just with that simple move.
    And I really never thought about the ink on seats. Even my cheap do-it-myself enterior is nice to me and I'd like to keep it fairly unstained. The yeller car has white vinyl which would show up if ink got wet and rubbed on it. That was a new one for me and many. But some people won't care anyway.
    Over the years and many car events I've seen adults leaning on cars with those jeans with rivets, sitting in other people's cars, fooling with knobs and buttons, etc. and smarting off when owners say something. I can't believe there are not fights at car events.
    Parking in malls, Wally World etc. are just accidents waiting to happen by careless people. And age has nothing to do with it. People young and old don't care about the looks of their own cars so won't care if they ding yours. I've seen it many times. My own dearly departed aunt would open her Malibu door, lean on it, and often bump the car next to her....not once, but often as she steadied herself. Telling her to be careful was useless. "It's just a damned car" she'd say.
    So at least I did learn something from this post. Do not put fliers on show car seats. If only I can remember that next time. I really am getting too old for this!

28. Thanks,I'll try it. HRP

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Simple green or what ever its called got the ink off,if it was the original seat material I would not cared much but those seat covers have only been on the car a month and I spent a bunch of time getting them to look alot better then the factory did so the ink on the seats really pissed me off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.