Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Only 1 year behind? I remember being 1 year behind like it was 2 years ago...

That light at the end of the tunnel must be good to see. Car's looking great.

hacknwhack and Chris Stapley like this.
  2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Mines been apart and abandoned for 8 years, so you are on schedule!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'll be watching this thread a little closer from now on... I was able to pick up a '59 this week. I'll start a thread on it later. I like the interior detailing that you've been doing. These are such good looking cars!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. 87bobber

87bobber
    from Bay Area

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks, fellas!

Big A, you've got quite a bit more metal work into your shoebox than I do this (understatement), so yours should take longer. But your shoebox is going to be pretty special when its done

6. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Any updates? Is it in the paint booth under double secret secrecy?

7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Almost to the booth. I spent the last week laying down another coat of primer and blocked it out one last time. A few touch ups and shes off to paint....finally.

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That last coat of primer can really make a difference. I'm excited to see what you end up with. It'll be real fun to see it with the interior in the car too. I like the idea of taking outside emblems and putting them inside. Nothing on the inside says thunderbird except the horn button, and who doesn't like little chrome trinkets?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

What color did you decide? I'm losing sleep trying to make up my mind,

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

trust me, that was the hardest part. I had atleast a dozen schemes done up in photoshop. I had it down to these 2:

I chose the bronze. It is a bronze pearl, with a pearl white top and gold pinstriping accenting the bodylines. I didn't want to do the Watson panel job on this, as it has been done many times over already. So the pinstriping will give a nod to Watson's classic squarebird, without copying the idea completely. Since I will put a lot of mileage on it, I chose to use available factory colours (Toyota :eek: and Ford) so if touch ups are needed down the road, I can match the paint easier than going with a custom mix (plus funds are tight on this project)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  11. Good choice, even the photoshopped bronze looks killer!
    Can't wait to see the real thing!

12. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

That combination is going to look phenomenal.

13. Man, that bronze looks bitching! I can't wait to see it executed. Going to be awesome.

14. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

For those still following along...

I dropped her off at the paint shop this weekend. No more sanding...thank christ. @skunk victim was kind enough to haul it to the paint shop for me, thanks again dude, I owe you one.

Now I get to wait...

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

16. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Looks good for paint. I am now two weeks away from sending mine off to paint. Its been a long journey! I can imagine how anxious you are to see it in color. When do you think you will have it back?

17. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@PC Jr

The painter said 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping he can stick to that timeframe...I want to get this thing back together and back on the road.

Im looking forward to seeing yours in colour too. Did you make a decision on colour(s)?

18. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

3-4 weeks will fly by and it will be back before you know it. You did all the heavy work, priming and blocking. I am still in bare metal, which is cool but I am looking forward to seeing it primed. Dont have an exact color yet. Waiting for some spray outs later this week. Pretty well narrowed it down to a tone on tone copper with glass/pearl. I am anxious to see yours in something other than grey...

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Oh boy! Just get the painter his checks on time, and you should get your car back on time. It'll be sweeeet!

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I just got confirmation on price and gave the go ahead. Apparently my bodywork wasnt too bad, so all that time and effort wasn't a waste. I cant wait to see it in colour.

While I'm waiting for it to come back from paint, I'm giving Ians shop a good cleaning and organization, after building 2 cars in there with all the body work, it was long over due for a cleaning.

21. On the road for "Hartmans bash"?

Chris Stapley likes this.
  22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

@Rustys Rod & gun I would like to have it on the road by then, however I have to go to a wedding that weekend, so Im going to miss Hartmans this year :(

23. As proof, we'll need pictures of the Squarebird with the bride and groom. haha

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

its a bit far for a possible maiden voyage. However you may see it the following weekend at the Jam up

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

some progress...

I had dropped the car off for paint about a month ago. I told the painter to take his time as I took the past month to completely clean and reorganize Ian's shop. After building 2 custom thunderbirds in his shop and all the bodywork along with it, the shop was a mess. We took everything out and cleaned and reorganized everything so when the car come back from paint, it will be easier to get it back together. So I dropped by the painter to see if any progress had been made and to drop off the details for the gold striping.

Here is the battle plan for paint:

[​IMG]

To my suprise the roof had already been treated to the pearl white....Awesome to see colour on it after 2+ years of bare metal and grey primer, and she looks smooth too. Im getting excited.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Looks awesome so far!

Good seeing you this past weekend too. Even if I was a little too inebriated...

27. skoh73

skoh73

Kooks killer! Subscribed.

28. Looks good. I love that Toyota Venza colour you are going with I was very tempted to use it on my truck. It looks killer out in the sun.

ynottayblock likes this.
  29. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Looking good! Mines been at the painter now for three weeks. Thirteen more weeks and it should be done. Keep the updates coming.

30. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Good to see you too AJ. It was a good turn out for Dave, glad I could make it.

I'll keep you posted. Cant wait to see yours too