Register now to get rid of these ads!

An Old Dog + New Tricks + Smart Phone + Instagram = The Future

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by trulyvintage, May 16, 2014.

1. A certain demographic of folks here on the HAMB are north of 50.

I am one of those.

Change - although inevitable for us all - can be difficult.

With the format change here came an opportunity for me personally
    to embrace Change.

Remember these ?

brick-phones-so-80s-it-hurts-carry-one.jpg

I had one - maybe some of you guys did too ....

Fast forward 30 years ....

Ryan is taking the HAMB into the future.

In doing so - he made a calculated risk.

Most of us are still here ....

But we need to evolve too ...

Today - I spent a couple hours buying a smart phone and downloading
    applications including Instagram ....

Communication technology is not my area of expertise.

But - smarter minds than my own can look down the road
    and see what lies around the next bend.

Jim

2. I've had Instagram for a while...just never really used it; didn't see much point. I have TONS of reason to now! The #HAMB feed is incredible...so much talent out there!

3. Could not have said it better!!! Hell yes we are still here, this is the best DAMN hotrod forum on the net bar none!!!

4. Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. it's new and improved!

6. Man, I'm feeling left behind. Hell, I even still have a rotary dial phone made of orange plastic.... I've gotta sort of catch up a bit me thinks.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have a "dumb phone" and just started texting a little over a year ago. Facebook? Nope. Instagram? Nope. Twitter? Nope. Time for any of it? The biggest NOPE. I hope desktops and laptops don't become obsolete. And what the hell is this "like me" shit on some of those? No, I don't wanna know and don't wanna be "liked" because I asked for it. Call me old, crabby, vintage. I can live with that...

arkiehotrods and Hnstray like this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I embraced the net info exchange, but not the crap that's on it. Facebook? Twitter? That's a bunch of crap. If I meet you in person, I'll decide if I "like" you. That and "friending" someone are two of the stupidest concepts I've ever heard of. And when I hear adults using those phrases, I usually go the other way. I accept the invites here to be courteous and remind me who the valued members are.

It's a stone cold fact. Some of the dumbest people around have all the smart crap in their pocket. If cell phones disappeared today, I wouldn't miss them. I actually hate that people feel they can get in touch anytime and anywhere.

Turn that phone off and get off my damn lawn!

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like the internet, have a laptop and an iPad and take the latter when traveling. The iPad has excellent utility through a variety of 'apps', including weather radar and camera functions.

But, I do not have a smart phone and don't want one anytime soon. I use email frequently but WILL NOT join the idiotic Facebook, Twitter and whatever other BS 'social media' may be out there.

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

What amazes me is the majority of people who hate the BS Social media do not understand what it actually is. Every major company in the world has a Facebook page. It is one of the largest advertising mediums available...for free. It is not just kids playing on the internet. The same goes for Linked-In.

Stop and think about it. An internet site where people share ideas, pictures, their likes and dislikes. The H.A.M.B.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

TR Waters......good Morning Tom......."chicken or egg?" The reason every major company in the world is on Facebook is because of the number of people to be found there.....that it is also 'free' is a bonus.

No doubt there are ways to make 'Facebook' useful, but the majority of the references I hear about Facebook relate to sharing one's every move, from bowels to going to get a hamburger or shopping, absolutely MUST be posted on Facebook for the rest of the world to know. It strikes me as the height of mindlessness and self importance or, perhaps the opposite, illustrates a complete lack of individual identity and incapacity to act as an individual.......The herd instinct

On the other hand, I have other family members, females primarily, mothers, grandmothers and aunts, that use it to stay in touch with the latest cute thing said, or minor accomplishment of, the offspring. Blech!

It has taken me years to become a Curmudgeon and no new fangled wussy system is going to dissuade me!

arkiehotrods likes this.
  12. No doubt there are ways to make 'Facebook' useful, but the majority of the references I hear about Facebook relate to sharing one's every move, from bowels to going to get a hamburger or shopping, absolutely MUST be posted on Facebook for the rest of the world to know. It strikes me as the height of mindlessness and self importance or, perhaps the opposite, illustrates a complete lack of individual identity and incapacity to act as an individual.......The herd instinct

On the other hand, I have other family members, females primarily, mothers, grandmothers and aunts, that use it to stay in touch with the latest cute thing said, or minor accomplishment of, the offspring. Blech!

I could not agree more! Why would anybody think that other people would care where they are everyday or every move they make during that day? When I am on the road, I want to get my job done & get back to work in my shop, play with the dogs & cats or just "veg" in the house. If my truck & trailer are sitting at a truck stop or rest area, I am either in the shower or sleeping & I do not sleep much. I certainly do not have time to be posting my every move to a bunch of idiots, I do not know personally. I have plenty of real friends to call or visit if I so choose. As far as I am concerned, Facebook & Twitter are for people that have no real life, but to each his own.

By the way how is this a question or suggestion to the Mods?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have no interest in the future, only the past.

14. Well I see cars for sale all over the country just about every day ....

Like in Montana earlier this week .....

HAMB1.jpg

I use Instagram to post to Facebook & Twitter the pictures I take
    so it makes it easier than posting to each site separately ....

Someone might find a car for sale they are interested in ....

Change is Inevitable

Jim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. username

username

For the most part I feel the same towards most social media forums, but I thought what you posted was exactly what you didn't like. Just playin.

16. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

That cell phone... Whats wrong with it? Thats what I use everyday... NO im not joking... I live up in the mountains and gave up on my normal cell phone a long time ago... I use my brick and it actually has service, and none of that non phone things phones have now... also... what is instagram? is that like twatter?... which I still dont know what that is...

17. OK, Instagram is foreign to me. How do we make it work? And what is the HAMB feed?

18. Great question...Instagram is an application ("app" or software package to those of us born before the cell phone & internet age) that allows you to capture, "enhance", and post photos from your mobile device. While doing this, you have the option to "tag" friends or family - or ad a hashtag (#). The hashtag is really nothing more than a way of organizing data - sort of like a 'keyword'...all like hashtags are grouped into a "feed" (stream of data). So if I were to take a picture, post it on instagram, and type "#HAMB", it will be grouped with all other photos 'tagged' #HAMB.

19. I knew about hashtags but is everyone using #HAMB or are there other key ones to look for?

20. waltspuffer

waltspuffer

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are times were having a cell phone would be handy, the Swap Meet at the LA Roadster show comes to mind. If I had one, and knew my wifes cell phone number I could have found her quicker I guess. Just yesterday I paid the AT&T bill by phone and asked about adding a cell phone to the package, but $850. isn't something I want to piss away. Had a fairly long chat about it with the AT&T gal, at the end she warned me not to text and drive...................one of the clueless that couldn't remember what the last two minutes of our conversation was about. Could someone explain why Facebook is different than a website, and can I see it without joining? Bob

22. I tend to use #HAMB when/where appropriate. Honestly, I don't pay attention to any other feeds; just the folks that I follow. I'd imagine that #traditionalhotrod #roadster #coupe etc. are probably pretty popular.

23. silent rick

silent rick

who wants to piss away time glued to some device? i put 200 miles on the 46 today. i looked at my phone to see what time it was when i left the cookout.

24. Sounds like fun! I guess mobile devices are going to be what one makes them; tool or time-waster is in the eye (or palm as the case may be) of the beholder. Personally, I like Instagram 'cause I can follow my pals builds, see the latest renderings of Mr. Norwell, or catch up with what's going on at Atomic Industries' secret bunker. Sometimes the images posted there are a little more specific than what'd you'd see on a build thread. To each his own...it's just nice to have the option.

25. The only thing I don't like about these other info/pic places is when someone posts a few cool build pics or cool pics of whatever, here on the HAMB, and then they post ... See more pics on my Facebook or instagram etc. Gah!

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to have that explained as well! What is the matter with posting the info and photos here on the HAMB, why have a different audience on another site? Bob

27. ebtm3

ebtm3

Exactly. I joined this group to learn, and share knowledge about old cars and engines. I carry a cell for one primary reason--in case my wife encounters trouble--and it removes the need to have a watch. I have no NEED, nor desire for text,tweet, facebook and all that other crap. IMHO those that embrace that life style either have some ego problems, or have bought into the great American advertising scheme of inventing something that there is no need for, and then convincing all the sheep that they must have it---and the inevitable periodic upgrades.
    This''improvement'' I have been told here is the ''future'', and the old system is obsolete. Hell people, the whole site is--or was--about obsolete stuff. Now, it seems to me, a group here that would be better off discussing "the future'' and all the Ipad, Iphone, Ipot that goes with it on a site that shared that with others, choose to inject it into the forum. Let me ask, Ryan, what were the complaints about the old setup? Were there ANY? Was the old system getting to be too much work on your part? If so, why didn't you turn all or part of the job over to someone else?
    Truelyvintage pointed out at the beginning of this thread that many of us are North of 50--quite so. We are mature enough to be able to discern the things in life that are important to us, and ignore that which we feel would be of no benefit--especially things that that we do after all the obligatory things in our life are taken care of. Now, you have turned the use of the site into a frustrating time waster. I used to log in right to a list of watched topics. Now I can't. Once logged in, I could go to my list of watched social topics with one click. Now, suddenly, I have no watched ones. Luckily, I can Email Bluto--but the rest-----

Ryan, your server should be able give you the number of hits that the site gets each day. Truthfully, has the number changed since the new format? By what amount, and which way? A site exists to support the people that use, depend on it in some way, and support it. Again IMHO, something is being rammed down my throat, and I'm being told that it is the ''future''. I refuse to drink the cool aid.

Ryan, I respectively ask you to respond to the above questions.

Herb Kephart

28. A "hashtag is something left in your shorts after a good night of beans & beer! # This is the pound sign!.. They don't call twitter people "TWITS" for nothing

29. I'm equally as handicapped by the new format.

This is my second try.

First try I thought site was broke so I put it aside for a month.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
    Customclassics.org

30. All I have to do is take a picture on instagram, tag it #hamb and it shows up here for me to link to my build thread...it's so easy....

Did I mention I've sold cars thru instagram to? How's that for purpose....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!