Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How Are We doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, before I left for the roadster show we got the last of the server improvements finished. From my seat, the site seems to be running pretty damned well - even during peak times. The challenge was three fold:

1. People are using the shit out of the user albums. In the last two weeks, we've almost doubled the number of images that we host. From what I can tell, about 90% of these images were uploaded through the user album feature.

2. Social Forums are a resource hog. I know some of you guys really dig them, but damn... For a little feature, it sure does like to use the servers. In any case, we think it's pretty stream lined now.

3. Traffic. We launched the site on May 12. Before that date, we grew pretty steadily but not at an alarming rate. Since May 12, we've grown (using page views as the metric) at a crazy rate. In fact, since this time last year, we've doubled the number of page views we host. Check it out:

traffic.jpg

We are now seeing in upwards of 600,000 page views by sometimes more than 50,000 unique users a day. Scary. But I think it's slowly starting to peter out.

One of the things that concerns me and the biggest reason I did the split forum a few months back is that page turnover happens too quickly. By that I mean that with all this traffic and all these posts, it had become impossible to really keep up with the forum. As a result, I think people begin to feel like a number and all personality is lost.

I don't want the place to feel like WalMart, ya know?

I have to say though, it almost feels like posting has slowed down. The numbers don't support that at all, but the place feels more personal to me. Maybe that's because I'm just contributing more and I'm more involved... or maybe I'm just biased as I really like the new format.

In any case, this thread has a purpose... How are we doing? Is the forum performing well for you? Pages loading fast?

Editor's Note: The site sometimes has performance issues on mobile devices like iPads and iPhones. This was fixed last week. However, to feel the improvements you need to restart your device entirely.

2. Personally I liked the old format, but I'm one that doesn't like change. I hadn't used the fourm as much as I used to, I'd prefer the old skin with the new technology.

Dago 88 likes this.
  3. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Ryan ,for me it's running much better than it did the first few days,as far as the bells and whistles,I'll figure them out in time. Just my wooden nickel,but what do I know I like playing with old flatheads!!
    Leroy

4. Ryan,I have been supportive of the new format,some members say I'm too supportive.

The pages seem to load faster than ever but I haven't used the albums too much but I have been on the Social sites more than in the past.

I thought the postings are slowing down,it seems to go for days with a few topics and the nixt thing you know the threads are coming fast and furious.

I don't use anything except a laptop and things are sailing along quiet smoothly for me. HRP

5. Classo64

Classo64
    from Ellensburg

I'm on another forum that features a thread that basically talks about how the new HAMB sucks. I contributed. But I kind of like the new format now. sure, there are things about the old that I miss. For instance, the new conversation thing sucks.

But as a whole, I really like the new format. Images uploading is sooo much easier. And the site is a lot easier to read.

6. No complaints, other than there are some threads with broken image mapping. Dunno if it's images hosted here or ones that they were hosting off-site, but looking at the "Banjo Rebuild" thread, the images sure would be nice.

Please don't take that as a gripe, it's just stuff that sometimes doesn't translate.

7. Classo64

Classo64
    from Ellensburg

Maybe a little.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Conversations are a bit confusing. Agreed. I think they need more work or need to be scrapped entirely. However, next on my list of to-dos is to get the mobile environment perfect... and fast as hell.

Those broken images could be from the old gallery system. They will be fixed.

9. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I agree with several friends who have said that the large amount of bright white is tough on the eyes at night....old version didnt have the brightness. Maybe it's because we are old?
    Mike in Tucson

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

All in all I'm digging it! I like being able to post full sized pictures without having to tax my knowledge and go outside of the H.A.M.B. and my computer. I did have some fairly serious issues the other night loading all my L.A.R.S. pictures, but that could have been me, or possibly the fact that every other person on the planet was doing the same at the same time. The performance is much better than it has been at points, but being stuck with DSL because of my 100 year old neighborhood's lack of fiber optics I have come to expect that sometimes.

11. Don't believe everything you read on other sites,most of the people that hate the hamb and it's members have a axe to grind..they probably were banned. HRP

bchrismer likes this.
  12. I didn't look into the URL of the images, and it could very well be an abandoned image hosting location, too. Again, not griping. They could have been long gone before the conversion, I just didn't notice until after the conversion.

13. swsimon

swsimon

The only thing I do not like is the conversation feature. Other than that I think it is better than before. Thanks Ryan

14. Andy

Andy

I am having a lot of trouble with it. I don't like everything really small and all the bright blank spots. It runs really slow on my iPad. The app for the iPad hangs up when pictures are enlarged so I can't use that. I can't figure out how to post pictures so that is gone too. I am on a lot less and sure enjoy it less.

Dago 88 likes this.
  15. justinj

justinj

Like it a lot, especially the mobile site.

My one gripe (besides the conversations) is that the serif font doesn't look 'clean' at least not in Chrome / Windows 7. I find it a bit distracting / hard to read. I don't mind serif fonts, but this one isn't doing it for me.

16. I would like to see the PM brought back,,sounds funny telling a guy I'm gonna send you a conversation.o_O HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. SoCal

SoCal

The more I use the new format the more I like the new features. Features I didn't know I needed!
    A guess it's a familiarity thing but when I had 5 mins free previously, I'd check out the HAMB. I find I don't get as far these days so generally don't jump on here unless I have half an hour to really look around. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Restart your iPad. That issue was fixed.

As for the image uploading, it's way easier now. Read the tutorials here: Tutorials

If that doesn't help, send me a convo and I'll get you on the phone and walk you through it.

Can you convo me a screen shot of this issue?

19. Yup, I, for one, shit canned my hosting site after the change. It is so much easier to post off of my computer, so I have a bunch of dead link to pictures out there. I think the new system, now that it's been tweaked, fucken rules!-MIKE:D( and I'm an old fucker, I mean fart !!)

1927graham likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Performance issues have been fixed, thanks!

The small text is slightly annoying, The font on the forum posts is a bit too fancy. The font where I "edit post" is great, nice plain easy to read. I guess I'm getting too old. Also, the picture of the glasses that means I'm following a thread, is on the right side, instead of the left side, where it ought to be.

Other than that, it's working really well. Keep up the great work!

21. I agree with Scroat Bag, I don`t like changes, if it aint broke don`t try to fix it..........

22. Definitely running faster!:cool: I have mixed feelings about the new format. Something's I like and others I don't. Almost too much functionality. But I'm an old guy. What the hell do I know? o_O I knew "Conversations" was in trouble just by the name.:rolleyes: WTF

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you search for threads started by a particular user? I don't want to search for posts, just threads that they started. I haven't figured that one out yet.

I'm getting there and it is running better. I'm using an ipad and it was painful for a while.

Agree on the PM topic. I miss that.

The social forums had me buffalo'd but I finally figured out that you have to join to see what's going on. Then, if you don't like it or care about it, you opt out. I was trying to look at a thread someone sent me a link to and it kept telling me I had insufficient priveliges. With some help, I finally got there but not before getting ticked off.

24. I quess I am showing my age but the print seems to fade in and out like an old typewriter ribbon. Thought maybe its because of all the white background but other sites like the Fordbarn do not have this problem for me. Other than that and the conversations part which I am still trying to figure out I am adapting.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy. Just roll your mouse over the search icon... and then type in the name of the user... See:

search.jpg

26. chubbie

chubbie

in the long run change is usually good, i'm glad you are still trying to work it out. I do however wish we could talk about things on here with out getting deleted. I even asked a question about the PM thing and got deleted. my friends list is no longer active.... most jumped ship, or were banded....i still like the HAMB so I'm going to stick it out

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just checked your log. You don't have any deleted posts from the Q&S forum.

I've heard this complaint from a couple of people. We don't delete feedback posts so long as they are constructive. Doing so would be quite stupid on our part for obvious reasons.

So suggestion, post your question in the Q&S forum and you will get an answer.

28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you are doing a great job. I enjoy the heck out of this place! I really do need to get tutored by my son or daughter in posting pictures, as I have a shitload of oldie stuff I would love to share. Keep up the good work.

29. daddylama

daddylama

the site performs well, using either a browser or my android phone (usually with chrome).

the new features are rad! I dig it!

viva la HAMB!

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I only have a smart phone at home now... The old format was easy to navigate on the phone, Now its just super fustrating.. i dont bother.... i haven't tried the new format on a computer yet , i have heard it isnt so bad ...but for me right now this new format really SUCKS!