Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would this be O/T ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greybeard360, Jun 19, 2014.

1. greybeard360

greybeard360

OK... I have an AMC 360 motor that came out of the race car I had..... taken by the divorce gods.... but I got the motor back !!

Would it not be "right" to put this into an old dragster chassis and go have fun? Or would it be "too modern" for that. I am just trying to decide what to do with it. It is on Ebay right now... lot of lookers, no takers so I may as well put it to use. I have thought about building a gasser with it but can't afford most of the cars I find that it would be "correct" in. That and it seems that about 50% of the old cars on "the list" don't have titles. If I build a gasser... it will be streetable.

2. squirrel

squirrel

You can do whatever you want with it. The most appropriate thing would probably involve an (off topic) Jeep :rolleyes:

3. Two things come to mind, one is that a your motor is fine to out in anything with wheels. The other is what makes a body correct for a gasser. I mean other then European bodies that your engine would be too large to be legal about anything with fenders and wheels can be a gasser.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

NO JEEP...... not even going to go there :)

I was leaning towards an American and build a gasser like the Chevy II and Falcon guys do. But all I have found so far is junk, over priced junk at that and NO TITLES!! That is why I was wondering about putting it in an old dragster chassis..... I think that would be a lot of fun.

5. I think that fun is the key word here and lots of fellas have used and are using the 360 in a few things that are well accepted.

By the way I have been rolling around the idea of making a gas class car out of my Willys pickup. Gonna call it a mud bogger with slicks. ;)

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Look for something that guys don't usually build out all nice. Chevy II's get built. Look for an ugly cousin and make it cool! There has to be an overlooked, forgotten little old midsize coupe out there with a title for beer money somewhere.

Maybe look at early MOPARs like 60's Lancers Darts... stuff like that!

7. some of the smaller Ramblers, I forget the names, could be made into pretty cool gassers, I have seen a few here on the HAMB

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Nash, Nash Metropolitan, Studebaker, Stude Lark, Kaiser, Henry J, or Falcon if you can go post '60!
    But hurry...politicians and libs are crushing these...awful old poison cars as fast as they can.
    More metal for Kias and electrics! ...and a 'better world'!

patmanta likes this.
  9. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

I stuck a big block buick in a 55 studebaker, wanted something different. Had to manufacture lots of stuff. Its your motor, find something you like, drop it in it, and have some fun.

10. greybeard360

greybeard360

I guess what I am getting at is if this would be HAMB friendly races and events like the Texas Thaw. I know an American body would fit in but wan't sure about the "later" motor I have.

11. Can't say about the Texas Thaw but I doubt that anyone would send you away from the HAMB Drags for your AMC motor. Ryan has the final say on that one so maybe better ask him personal but I doubt you would get booted for it.

A much overlooked body that was used in the gasser ranks way back when is a Willys Aero. They seldom go for stupid money and were gas class perfect.

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I worked in the shop at an AMC dealer when I was young, and I got to drive a lot of those 360's around. Very nice engines in my estimation. You can't put one in a Ford or Chevy and still remain un-spatupon ;) but any oddball car would be cool for this one IMO.

13. finn

finn

The engine family came out in (I think) 1967 or there abouts, so technically you would be SOL.

Having said that , the 429/460 Ford, large Buicks, and I think late Caddy engines have a similar problem. Even the Big Block Chevy except for the 396 version would be "illegal" in the purest interpretation, as would most small block Chevies with large dampers and without out road draft tubes.

I'm not the "correct" police, so I'd go for it

14. Stick it in a small car,Chevy II,Falcon,Rambler..the 390 would be a good engine to push a little drag car around. HRP

15. Find yourself a 1957 Rambler Rebel. They came with a 327 Amc built engine and would out-run a 57 Fulie Vette. Your 360 looks enough like the 327 that almost nobody alive on the planet would know the differance!
    And you would have a Damn quick street- strip car that some kid would have had in the late 50"s.
    After all that's what traditional is all about!
    Just my $.02

16. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Or, join the AMC Rambler Club.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Oh lord! That's about the ugliest thing ever pressed from steel. ;)

18. 327Eric

327Eric

Get a Rambler American Coupe, preferably a 64-or 65, straight axle it and go. They put that engine style in from the factory in the later 60's so it will fit (think SC/Rambler) Proportionally similar to a falcon Dart, or Chevy 2, but not.
    random google search found this
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/archive-34-amcnats-64gasser.html

19. squirrel

squirrel

Whatever you do with the engine, tell folks it's a 390.

I know all about the no titles overpriced junk cars thing...I lucked out finding a $500 junk Chevy II with a title. Keep looking, somewhere there is an unloved Rambler that you can figure out how to get a title for.

20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

This !!! [​IMG]

Ulu likes this.
  21. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Been to Day of the drags, HAMB drags, Nostalgia Nats at yello belly, Legends at Sealy and no one has ever fussed about my combo. I have alot of respect for the guys that go with the period correct stuff. No one is gonna knock it. Find a body YOU like and get after it.

22. Hey Ulu,
    That's the point here, Using something in something that's "Traditional" and different, and has the spirit
    of a bygone era. Guess you don't go back far enough to remember 49 Packard dragsters!
    Back in the real day, there were always odd balls. Thats what makes what we do soo cool.
    I can remember back in the early 70's I was collecting and running Vintage Jags.
    I went to see one called "Mr Business" a 52 coupe that had been a dragster in the 60's.
    Didn't buy it, should have!
    Yes it's a funky looking car but yes it did run quicker to 60 than a fuely vette.

23. Ya 33 sporttruck
    VERY COOL Rambler!

24. greybeard360

greybeard360

OK... may have found something..... a Crosley pickup.. 1952
    Price is right but it is sitting on a 63 Chevy frame..... that would have to go for sure.

80 inch whelbase might be a bit spooky :eek:

25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

No, Tony, I'm 59.

I only go back far enough to remember that if you drove a Rambler people thought you were a dweeb. ;)

Oh, I understand the love for an ugly duckling. I was an Edsel owner.

(...and still would be except the transmissions were crap.)

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

Go for it, it sounds great. Make sure to post a Build Thread for us all to see your progress and offer up 'helpful' ideas (haha).
    Good luck, enjoy and have some fun.

27. squirrel

squirrel

I guess a 40s mopar is a step up from a rambler? :p

We live in a different world now...remember when you wouldn't be caught dead driving the family station wagon?

28. greybeard360

greybeard360

"Dweeb"

Haven't heard that for a while. I think that is the old school version of a nerd?

29. Yep chassis has to go, and a 2x3 box tubing perimeter frame would be nothing to weld up.

Now as for the wheelbase, a lot of those Crosleys got the axle stuck out on front on the grill, but if you build it with the axle where it belongs or out in front if you put me in it I'll let you know how fast it will go. :D:D

30. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

:p Just for that I'm gonna post a photo of my skateboard with billet trucks. :p

bu04.jpg

patmanta likes this.