Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Finally done with the front seat. Happy with the decision to do the modification to use the Impala chrome and not stick with the stock Nomad version.

Attached Files:

2. Looks great!! I need some of that trim!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Matt,
    Glad you like the look. if you do find some of the trim, be sure to ask for the Impala 4 door front seat cover when ordering. Not sure why Chevy did not include it on the 59 Nomad wagon like it was on all the other top line Impala models
    Check with carlk60 here on the HAMB as a potential source, has has tons of 59 and 60 Chevy parts. Also The 59 Source may be able to get you some. Both are good guys to deal with
    Be sure to get all the mounting hardware too. best bet may be a whole 4 door seat from a 59 or 60 Impala.

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Finally got back on the upper tube ends above the grill. They were a flat end cap, these fill the space better.
    Started on some bezels for the seat belts, one of two ideas to may try. These will need a lot more shaping but the piece of aluminum scrap on hand proved easy to work with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. Ben Jamin

Ben Jamin

Love the BLUE Dp primer! Great motivation to get my truck going!

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Ben,
    Glad you like the color.
    Welcome to the HAMB

7. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

what a great idea , very nicly done, the seats turned out awesome as well

8. 6t9 camaro

6t9 camaro

Looking good! I feel your pain with the cold weather as I'm also "up north" I just picked up my own 59 wagon project so I will be reading this over quite often! Once again looking good!

Subscribed!!!

9. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Man that seat looks great and the aluminum trim really adds to it. I might have to use a set on my El Camino project.

Your car is coming along very nicely!

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Cody
    Will need some tips on the headliner and wind-lace pretty soon.
    Assume the wind-lace goes in first?

Thanks 6T9,
    the weather forecasters are predicting 70 deg. + for the first time in 6 months tomorrow.
    Need to see if my 71 convert is ready to pick up from the storage building!

Thanks 59bones,
    I'm really glad about how it turned out.

11. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

12. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Guess an update is over due.
    Been working on my daily driver and my too slightly new to be on topic car the past few weeks. They are both GTG now so hopefully its back to work on the wagon.
    If it stops raining anytime soon, I'll get a few updated pictures.

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

got a break in the rain and took these during the 3 car shuffle to get the Nomad back in the garage.
    Without and with flash.

Attached Files:

14. That is Very nice! It has sure come a long way. Are some white walls in your future plans? They wourld really set it off, in my opinion. And a '71 rag top for sunny days! "Obviously a sign of good, clean livin" as they used to say.

15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan Attic,
    Whitewalls are on my "someday i can just write a check list" for now the time and efforts will go to the interior. Plan to order the headliner kit and wind lace soon. Also need to decide on the level of repainting on the interior but should probably make a project plan first.

Good eye on the Off Topic car, if I get the Nomad far enough along by next winter it will be heading into the shop for a "Phase I Fix-up"

16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Good to gave the new and improved form up and running.
    Build update, the headliner and related materials are on order ans should be here by the weekend. Need to decide on the plan to finish up the "2013-14 winter plan". Have some painting that still needs to be done, mostly on small parts.

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

got the rest of the parts cleaned up and painted so i can start to put the interior back in. still have not dived in to the headliner. it will start soon. also decided to sand blast the vent covers (see before and after) DSCN2971.JPG and will paint them soon DSCN2973.JPG DSCN2972.JPG
    still trying to get the hang of the new format, a few more updates and i should gave a clue.

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

A few updated pic's. Trying to figure out what i can have done by 6/20-22, Back to the 50's, in St. Paul.
    I'll be one of ~12K HAMB friendly cars there.

Attached Files:

19. The interior looks great! I really like the seat belt install. I've only seen pictures from the big deal in St. Paul but it looks well worth the effort to attend. Just a little out of my neighborhood.

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Fan.
    I'm, fortunate to be close to St. Paul and such a large show as Back To The Fifties. for me it h=is the highpoint of the car year. Hopefully in the future there will be trips to some of the other ones (large and small) around the country.

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well the back to the 50's version of the build has 48 hours to go. the head liner and windlace will have to wait a little longer. here is what it looked like late last night.

Attached Files:

22. Everything you've done looks great. The Union 76 antena ball is a nice addition. My Uncle owned and operated a 76 station in Portland for several decades and we usually had a 76 ball on the folks' cars growing up.

23. Looks great Bruce! I really like the way the interior turned out. Have fun at Back to the Fifties! I may have to put that on my list to make some day...

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks, i added the ball because when i was a kid they were used in MN during the winter so you could tell if a car was coming when the snow banks were higher than the cars

Thanks it is a fun show. I'm mentally starting a "Rust-Bucket List" of shows to go to someday.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  25. Put LONE STAR ROUNUP on that list ! Bruce the inside looks great . I'm real jealous , can't wait to start on my wife's . Blue

26. Ben38

Ben38
    from Minnesota

Looks good Bruce! Have fun this weekend.

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks Guys,
    the first day was fun and while i was around my car i got a lot of positive comments. many were surprised to learn of the cars "sorted past" as a monster truck.

28. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

well it looks like its past due for an update.
    I still have to finish the headliner and windlace, but have just not been able to get in the shop much this summer.
    Concerned it may be best to replace the windshield seal (and windshield while it is out) first. anyone ever have a headliner sit in the box for a long time, as in a year or more? assuming it should still stretch out okay?
    also trying to figure out how to make the cardboard type pieces that are sewed to the windlace where the kick panel retainers bolt on. So at this point, after looking and thinking, is often time to take a drive instead and call it a night.

29. As long as your headliner stays dry and doesn't start to mildew (may be a tall order in your part of the country) it should be fine. When you get to it lay it out flat and let it relax over night then either steam shrink it after install or drive it to Phoenix in the summer...(-;

30. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Hi Fan Attic,
    It should stay dry in the shop and the idea of a road trip to Phoenix sounds good too.
    thanks