Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in a 46 Ford Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shilde6, Jun 19, 2014.

1. What do I have to do to fit a small block chevy in a 46 Ford sedan. I'm just looking into what needs to be adapted.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 416Ford

416Ford

What do I have to do

Try the search function. :)
    What suspension do you have and what transmission will you be using?

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, not enough info. Is your suspension bone stock or are you using an IFS kit ? What type of transmission ?

Don

4. As Don states above-There are few things to think about
    -radiator
    -standard or manual trans(stock or later model with open drive?)
    -exhaust
    - front suspension-stock axle ,MII or other?
    -front motor mounts adapted to the flathead mounts or side mounts bolted or welded to the frame?

5. The good news is -A Chevy fits in that Ford engine bay very well-there's just a few different ways you can do it.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. It's a turbo 350 trans. I guess if I put in a mustang 2 I can just get one to mount a SBC too

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. With the front dizzy comes the front oil pump... Right where the cross member sits.

How you can have brand loyalty as a hot rodder, that makes no sense to me... Whatever makes it go faster, looks better and is handy gets used.

Carter and GeezersP15 like this.
  9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Oil pan problem solved by using a Bronco rear sump pan.Give Butch a call for install info.

10. You might want to look through the Chassis Engineering catalogue-They make some nice mounts that will work with your engine/trans combo and allow you to use your stock axle/wishbone or a dropped axle and split bone setup. Chassis Engineering has a lot of 'bolt in' components if you dont have access to a welder. Other aftermarket suppliers have these components also
    You will need to change your driveline to an 'open' shaft with that transmission-If you are using the stock rear banjo-there is a conversion kit out there for that too.

11. I run a Chassis Enginering setup plus a C.E. bolt in Mustang ll front end with power rack and adjustable front coils.
    The original builder did the right thing.
    Prior to this I was living in a straight axle world.
    Made "more" than a world of difference.
    My ZZ4 fell into place and everything else followed. iphone pictures 056.JPG