Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Yard Sale find of the day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I bought a book for $.50 the other day , It's dated 1960 , It has some of the old rodder terminology in the book that tries to make you "hip to the scene" of hot rodding , it goes all the way from buying your first car to dragging your car...like I said , it has all the "Dragging Jargon" for all those who need to know what a "Johnson Rod" really is , or maybe why they called you a "Squirrel" , or what the heck was a "Dash-Pot" , Just thought I'd share a piece of hot rodding history with you guys....

Attached Files:

2. COOL.
    FYI. 8 of them for sale on Amazon, if anyone wants one..........

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

how about writing up a "HOTROD DICTIONARY" for those of us without the book?
    meanwhile, i'll look on Amazon.

4. I bought this little book back in the early 60's and I probably still have it somewhere. HRP

chris' 38 likes this.

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Last month i traveled back to see my parents and I found that book on one of their shelves, i was going to bring it home but my brothers name was writen inside the cover so i left it.
    It sure was an informative read , all those terms were before my time.

6. Nice find. Cool little collectible.:)

7. Roupe

Roupe

So.........what is their definition for a Johnson Rod?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Great score, never know what you're find at a yard sale. I bought my first one for 45 cents. Still have it. In high school we had some kind of book ordering club. About 15 years ago I bought another one to display in my car at shows. I pick up books like that every chance I have. They look neat sitting on the front seat of your hot rod or other classic.
    In 1979 I bought a like new service station edition of a Chilton's manual at Wilson's Auction near Milford, Delaware. Still have it also and refer to it alot.
    Think I go yard shopping this weekend.

9. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Johnson Rod:..There is no such rod. When you can't figure out what is wrong with your engine , you blame it on the Johnson Rod...

10. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Squirrel- the type who guns his motor and burns his tires....
    Dash Pot-device on some stock cars that keeps the throttle from closing fast and stalling the engine when foot is lifted suddenly off of gas pedal...
    Binders- brakes.
    Bent Eight-Vehicle with an 8 cylinder "V" engine.

They go on and on....pretty good little guide for us "young bucks" to be able to talk to the old heads...

11. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

I must have more than one johnson bar

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!