Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just what we need, Another Model A build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nailhead dodge roadster, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Hey there Mr. Nailhead;

Just caught your thread today. I have an early A roadster and Sport/Business coupe. Unfortunately no threads on either yet, but have been playing with them enough to know a bit about the doors.

My recomendation reguarding your doors is to hang on to them. Good door tops are a lot easier to find than solid bottoms like yours, at least that is what I've discovered in my neck of the woods. I've seen many moisture trashed door bottoms.

I know we're a fair distance apart, but I'll keep an eye out.

2. Well its been a while since I had anything worth posting to update this build, and im not saying what I do have today is worth much but here it is anyway.
    After fighting to get the front cross member aligned and tacked into place I finally gave up and ordered up a so-cal 7 degree cross member. My original had been bent, beat, cut-up and welded back together a couple times in its life and was just to far gone to save, and i couldn't beat the $80 price tag on the new one.

I also moved the motor mounts forward about a 1/4 inch to help clear the firewall, but this will mean i'll have to run a flat style distributor to clear the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up a new front spring, shackles, and perches from Mac's....and here is where I am having some issues. It looks like this reversed eye spring, sold as a direct replacment for the stock model A spring, is to long. Take a look at this front shot with weight on the front end and give me your opinions.

[​IMG]
    I am using a stock model A axle, model A perches, model A spring shackles, and a new model A spring all purchessed from the same company at the same time. Just mocked up without a wishbone for now, just picked up a model A wishbone, a '35 1 1/2 ton wish bone and a couple '40 rear rods. going to be a lot of cutting and welding but between all these pieces and the '39 front 'bone I already have I think I'll be able to have the length and width i need to clear the flathead and trans without having to split anything. The rear will end up something like I saw in a rod&custom mag a couple months back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. Any ideas from the days crowd?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looks like a great projekt. If its was me i would allmost just keep it as it is on the mock up picture...
    [​IMG]

5. when you put the bones in place will that raise the shackle and give you enough clearance

6. It will raise the shackles but I still don't like the angle of the shackles, should be about 45 degrees with weight on it. As it is I didn't even need my spring spreader to hook it all up.

7. It'll be about 3-4in lower in the front and back with the model T spring and the reversed eye and dropped cross member in the front. Not to crazy and not sitting up like a 4x4. I'll also be running 5.25/5.50 tires in the front in place of the 6.50's on there now. Also 7.00s on the rear for a little rubber rake.

8. Car is for sale if anyone is looking for a project. I'll keep building until it sells so act fast for best price.

9. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

The A is cool, but I REALLY dig your collection of trucks!

10. I've had a lot of old pickups over the last couple years. Most are all sold off now. It's time again to leave the old cars behind and focus on family for a while.

11. Car is still for sale and I am now parting it out if anyone wants a specific piece. Flathead Is already sold.