Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Traditional Hot Rod Magazines and Books?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MuttHappy, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Newbie here

Just wondering, I am truly interested in traditional hot rods 40's 50's style, especially those put together in the 1950's with body styles from 1925-1935. Are there any magazines or even books (I have a couple but would like to find more) that anyone could recommend? Nothing against muscle cars, I loved my 1966 Cutlass - but it seems like every time I pick up a hot rod magazine these days it is nothing but muscle cars.

Please forgive, I tried to do a search on these threads and I couldn't find the search engine. If this has already been extensively covered, please point me to either a thread or two on the subject - or to the search engine so I can look myself.

Thanks so much, in advance for you kind help. Have only been a member here for a short time - but I must say I am more than inspired by the good folks and the information on this board.

MuttHappy

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Invest in some Rod and Custom, Car Craft, HOP UP, and HOT ROD magazines from '48-58. That's the best source if you're looking to do it like they did in the '50's.

3. gwhite - thanks so much for moving this - I am finding my way around but there seems to be a certain mystery to this site. I think ultimately it is a good thing, but it will apparently take me a while to navigate the ins and outs.

Thanks for the book suggestions and the link - and to pinstriper 40 for the magazine suggestions. My dad and my uncle had subscriptions to those old Hot Rod magazines and I was too young to read the articles - I looked at all the pictures over and over again back then. They saved those magazines for years! My build (courtesy of them) is here - in case you have not as yet seen it:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bernadine-1929-ford-model-a-restoration.928898/

And the diary of the build is here:

http://www.indiefinancialnetwork.com/hotrod.html

Thanks so much - I will spend some glorious hours checking all this out.

Best,

MuttHappy

4. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

Ryan has recommended it in that thread, but I will 2nd the "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Bishop and Tardel! It's a great book to have.

5. xix32

xix32

Besides the Don Montgomery books, the best book I have seen is " The birth of hot rodding - the story of the dry lakes era" by Robert Genat and Don Cox.
    It may be out of print, but well worth trying to find a used copy online.

6. I really do appreciate all of the fine suggestions. Anything current that I can pick up off the rack in the magazine section - at say - Barnes and Noble - that will fuel my addiction to classic rods?

MuttHappy

7. xix32

xix32

The only decent magazines I see at Barnes&Noble are " The Rodders Journal" and "Hot Rod Deluxe" ( not to be confused with the normal Hot Rod magazine)

8. xix32

xix32

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I would recommend Dean Batchlor's American Hot Rod and Alex Xydias' So-Cal Speed Shop along with the Speed Merchants. All available from Amazon. These three books will give you a sense of the history of the hot rod movement from the mid-thirties through 2000.

10. All great advice above. I just want to add and I think I speak for most on here, You've joined us with a great attitude and obvious appreciation for the history of traditional hot rods that we all love. Get any or all of the publications mentioned and you will be on the right track for sure. Anyone who hasn't looked at your link to the restoration of your roadster should do so. Just my thoughts, thanks for letting me express them..............Don.

11. Thanks so much to all for the great suggestions, and all the kind words. I will certainly be a busy boy with lots of reading to catch up on!

I am so fascinated by this whole process of creating a killer street rod - and it is so nice to feel so welcome and accepted here.

Have to get busy and get some of these books on order! Thanks Again!

MuttHappy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014