Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 27 roadster build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hybridpain, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Welcome back!
    "Wanting" is one thing, but "ending up with" is a different thing entirely unless you commit to using specific parts and styles of the chosen era.

Thats really all the guys were saying in their "special" way!!! :D:D:D

Looking forward to the build!!!

2. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

So I've managed to get my hands on a 27 roadster pickup body from a friend who was moving. He threw in a front axle and spring, which i think are both from a 40's merc? Not sure if they'll all work together or not, but figured i would take them anyways.

I have so many questions, so i guess i'll list a few of them.
    1. Body. Um, so now what? electrotank to reverse the rust? some sort of mediablast like soda or sand? do it by hand with hammers, dollys, sand paper and blocks? Should I leave it as a pickup, or go to a modified/bucket look or maybe turtle deck. I originally was thinking turtle deck.

2. Engine. I've been thinking flathead ford V8, possibly nitrous. I've always leaned toward unusual stuff though, and the idea of an inline 6 with a blowthrough turbo keeps bouncing around my head.

3. chassis. I would like to do an original frame if i can get my hands on it, but wonder how that will handle. Maybe something more substantial like 32 rails?

4. rearend. I currently have a late model 8.8 with discs. debating banjo vs quick change vs going with what i have. I know its not "hamb" but i already have it and i could at least get this thing rolling and maybe change it later. transverse leaf spring or quarter elipticals on the rear?

I think that's enough for this post. I know I will probably regret this, but i welcome your opinions

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. bgaro

bgaro

i gotta say this a really interesting start to a build thread. anyway, 32 rails are cool but spendy, maybe look for a model A frame, boxed they can handle anything. i'd say build it simple get it running then worry about wacky induction or power adders, same for a quick change there spendy. i'm assuming your still on a budget?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like your enthusiasm, but the above makes me think you need to slow down and learn a little more about what you really want before you start spending money and time with this thing.

A flathead Ford with nitrous? That doesn't make any functional sense at all. And a turbo anything isn't really appropriate for this forum.

My suggestion? Go look at all the build threads here.

And when you are done with that, go get this book and this book.

Read them and really study them. I assume if you are here, you are interested in traditional hot rodding. The steps above are a really good introduction.

I'm not at all suggesting you follow a certain formula, but I am telling you that there is a lot to learn about what really constitutes a "traditional" hot rod and what does and does not make sense in the context of that.

5. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Three cheap choices for a traditional T. Model AA or model T truck rails. T roadster rails with 2" angle welded to the bottom ala Frank Mack T. Harms way might have a photo of Frank's frame. All 3 have the heavy look of a '32 frame under a T. If you really want a traditional rod start reading a lot . You have a good start with that body. Find a look you like and build it traditionally.

6. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

Its been a busy year in oklahoma. It seems like as the years go by they just pick up speed. My project has been spread across three states, but we're moving to Florida and a beautiful home with an oversize garage (pics coming soon). Not too much has happened this year on the "build" other than reading the above mentioned books, going to shows, and talking to old guys. All and all, I would say living on route 66 has done me some good. Here is a cool single seat speedster I saw this year.

Attached Files:

7. Track-T

Track-T

[​IMG] Where in florida? I'm 15 miles south of Orlando.

8. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

hudson. 30 min north of tampa. Is that one yours ^ ? I like the track t nose, superbell axle, little discs. very clean front end!

9. Track-T

Track-T

yep, my 10 year bucket of cash :)

10. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404174625.639295.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404174640.819702.jpg
    so, found a good deal on a flathead i couldn't turn down. here's my new motor.
    still stuck on the frame... but this should keep me busy for a while.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

As near as I can tell, it's ford, between 34 and 37. Anybody able to narrow it down further? 21 stud motor with triangle shaped water hole and breather tube should place it there

12. alchemy

alchemy

Not a 21 stud. Probably a 59A (check the bell housing for some casting numbers). I'd guess '46-ish. Note it is factory relieved.

Hybridpain likes this.
  13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm not a flathead guy but, don't 21 stud motors usually only have 21 studs?

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

15. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

So after putting this thing up on the engine stand and going "hmmm... That doesn't look right?" We flipped the block over and loosened the oil pan bolts. Crash! Nearly dropped it on my foot. It turns out the half the bolts on the engine stand were connected to the oil pan, not the block.

This thread should be called what not to do...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232195.999628.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232211.766442.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232248.753470.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232268.836740.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232282.791893.jpg

16. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

On a happier note, after reading about molasses and phosphoric acid, I'm trying this method on a door. It worked beautifully! Faster than advertised too. About 1 week in a bath of 9 parts water, 1 part molasses, scrubbed in a phosphoric acid bath after.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232648.807983.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232785.665533.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408232795.682565.jpg

sko_ford likes this.
  17. OFT

OFT

Nice looking door. Rest of body that nice?
    Need to watch out for those flatheads dropping on you! Lot more your going to be learning as time goes by.
    Best to you on your T build!!!!!!!

Earl

Hybridpain likes this.
  18. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

Have to love those flatheads. But hate it when they are tips 2.jpg laying on your foot.

Hybridpain likes this.
  19. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443904017.507861.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443904063.311664.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443904119.146014.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443904190.901547.jpg

New frame from a model A, most of the body is in primer now. Money and time are the major things slowing up this project, but what else is new.

bct likes this.
  20. Hybridpain

Hybridpain

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444448741.920785.jpg
    This is purely for mock up purposes, but I like it nonetheless.

daddio211 likes this.
  21. Great stuff, glad to see yourve stuck with it.

22. daddio211

daddio211

You're not the first one off to a rough start here, who later ended up in a MUCH better direction because of some friendly (and no so friendly) advice. Search for @pennafxu 's T sedan build. Whew! That was a close one!