Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 5-Spokes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

5-Spokes

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. squirrel

squirrel

14 fronts and 15 rears are just fine....

Did you pull a wheel to see what's on the back? sometimes they tell you where they came from. But having mismatched wheels would not bother me...it's a common theme from the 60s-70s.

3. Look like early pre-unilug ETs to me...

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that you find the correct match - Cool wheels

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh yeah, I know it doesn't bother most... and some even dig it... I'm insane in the membrane, however, and my eye needs 15's up front.

I have not pulled a wheel to look, but will do so soon.

6. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I agree with squirrel...don't worry about it...just run it...enjoy it. Maybe sooner or later you'll find matching 15 inch rims.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think you may be better off trading all 4, to a mag fanatic that has to have them, for a set of 15's and rubber that fits your vision better.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I hear your lament for 14s. My '54 Ford Coupe (with the 406) has 14" Torq Thrust Americans in front (15" Torq Thrusts rear)
    I need to trade those fronts for some 15s too. I like the right stuff underneath...

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

PUT THOSE 14s IN THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SALE OR TRADE:)

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here's the truck, but honestly from this angle it doesn't bother me too bad. It's the profile shot that irks me just enough to start looking for 15's.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The front fenders on those trucks do look "heavy", so I can see why you'd want more wheel/tire up front. Also, the caps are way cool, they're probably so rare, because they are kind of ugly looking. Oval and round just don't go together. Neat truck! Wonder what the front bumper is from?

12. alchemy

alchemy

If you dropped the front end (or the whole truck) a couple inches the big wheelwell wouldn't look so overpowering. But switching some wheels is probably lots easier than dropping that truck down. It has dual I-beams on the front, right?

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Those trucks look great with 5 spokes. Flamedabone I thought nailed the look on the 64 he recently sold. (here is another one I have loved thou rims, at 17", are bigger than most on this site like )

[​IMG]

14. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

That may be an s-10 front bumper.

15. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

The 5 spokes were the Everybody wheels, cause everybody made em....a buddy had a set on his Impala that were ETs (same caps)

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love Reggies truck.

seatex likes this.
  17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

American came up with the classic five spoke first in the early 60's.

Apparently American didn't (or couldn't) copyright the design because nearly every wheel company subsequently knocked them off.

18. Curt Six

Curt Six

For what it's worth, I have a single unilug 14" E-T aluminum 5-spoke (hose hanger) that looks similar and it's got the E-T logo cast next to the bolt hole. Cool truck.

Attached Files:

• ET1.JPG
      ET1.JPG
      File size:
      418 KB
      Views:
    • ET2.JPG
      ET2.JPG
      File size:
      330.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Jake H.

Jake H.

I had a set of ET's, a few years back, that looked identical to those on your truck. They had the pronounced peak down the middle of the spoke, and the near-vertical step on the inside face of the rim, just like that. It should say E-T cast into the backside of the rim. Bitchin' truck, by the way!

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good looking truck! 5-spokes look great on that body style....

Malcolm

21. Ryan,
    AAt a glance those actually look like ETs. I would take a look at the actual wheel from the back. If it is a steel rim with an aluminum center it is probably not an ET wheel, the supers would have been all aluminum as I recall. Also ET was pretty proud if their product and it should say on thew backside the wheel size as well that it is an ET wheel.

22. My all time favorite mag wheel. HRP

23. That truck still 5x5.50" bolt pattern? If so, finding 15" 5 spokes may be tough or spendy or both. I love those wheels, would love to find a set of 15's in the big Ford bolt pattern

24. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

There was an ET super that looked much like the wheels you have and they came with the oval centers. Most of the ones (if not all) I have seen were unilug wheels with ET in the webbing like the ones in Curts photo.

25. mgbtc

mgbtc

26. mgbtc

mgbtc

They do look like E-T unilug wheels to me also. I like the look of the truck as is.

27. I would almost be willing to bet they are ET's,,real popular here in the Sunny South back in the 60's & 70's. HRP

28. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

As previously stated, pull a wheel and see if there is a name cast in it. If not, the clone of the American 5 spoke is AP brand.

29. seatex

seatex

Damn right! I ask him every year at Roundup if he is ready to sell, the reply is always the same, and for good reason. Great looking truck, Ryan, congrats! (are those Cali Junipers in the background, or CenTex? If that's at JJWHQ you sure got it home quick!)

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  30. Squablow

Squablow

Not all E-T 5 spokes are one piece, I have a pair that have the steel outers and the aluminum centers, and their stamped E-T on them.

I like 14" wheels probably more than I should. They're the anti-DUBs. Harder to find appropriate sized tires for, but still very period-appropriate. Plus, they're not reproduced, so you know they're OG, no faking it.

You can probably buy brand new 15" 5 spoke Torq-Thrust wheels and if the center paint and caps matched, no one would ever be able to tell.