Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Hang on... I believe the guy in the background, to the extreme left just above the oil filler, is actually Les Spangler! He also wore this (somewhat unusual) style of goggles seen on the man in the car, so I'm guessing it's a staged shot for some celeb, using Spangler's goggles and cap!

2. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

I think you might be right, Michael. I was thinking the same thing, it seems like I've seen this guy somewhere, but, like you, I couldn't find anything after looking through pictures. All the pictures I have/have seen of McKee, he is stone-faced and never has a smile. Soooo.... I just wondered maybe.

I did notice the guy (Spangler?) in the background with the team suit on. I thought it might be a mechanic, since the shirt isn't embroidered with "LESTER". Which is on his suit in all the photos I have/have seen of him with the car in Spring and Summer, before the new paint job. I tried to scan in closer but the detail just isn't there to better determine who it is exactly. Your likely right though.

Was Spangler in the car for the 2/28 race at Ascot? I didn't know if the 3/6 Oakland race was his first race in the car or if he ran it the week prior, never found any evidence. I have a photo from the 3/13 Ascot race and the shirt is embroidered "LESTER". So, if the man in the background IS Spangler, what are your thoughts about this possibly being the 2/28 race and that Spangler's suit just doesn't have his name on it yet. I know it is hard to give a definite answer, but your thoughts....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, I too noticed the absence of the name on his uniform, so I was thinking, maybe his first race? Trouble is, I have Howdy Wilcox in #19 on Feb 28, and Spangler in the #88 McDowell. It is, however, possible that a last-minute change took place, which newspapers often miss. If you say you have a pic of Spangler with his name on Mar 13, then it pretty much had to be the Feb 28 race... Too bad one cannot read the message below the words "Next race here..." :(

4. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

I have several of those where it would be "helpful" if one could read the date. ;)

Close-up...

[​IMG]

3/13 - Ruth Clifford presents the Helmet...

[​IMG]

5. Don Capps

Don Capps

I would suggest that the "celebrity" is possibly Jimmy Doolittle, then a major in the Air Corps Reserve and winner of the Thompson Trophy at the Cleveland Air Races in 1932.

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing!!!

Since there are few operators of "old" cars on here, has anyone driven/or raced a car with a kill switch for shifting? Almost every pre-ww1 racecar had that set up, but it seems everyone now never bothers to install it. Drove a 1906 Pope-Hartford with one, you can actuallyup- shift it faster, just takes a bit to get used to.

[​IMG]

7. MysticApe

MysticApe

Hello, can anyone help me to identify this racer, pls? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

• car.jpg
      car.jpg
      File size:
      181.6 KB
      Views:
  8. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Hmmm... similar, Doolittle has a cleft chin and a facial wrinkle under his eye/cheek.

Attached Files:

9. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I believe it's Joe E Brown - big time comedian, film star and sports fan with ties to the Gilmore Family. Here's a link to a photo of him with Roscoe Turner and the 'Gilmore' airplane.
    http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu:...wydbuwy~28~28,uwydbuwy~29~29&mi=1743&trs=1835

Publicity shot:
    [​IMG]
    Riding On Air
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  10. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Probably an Amilcar C6 - although the radiator looks a little too narrow, so another possibility could be a Salmson - either a Sport or Grand Sport.

11. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Sir Henry Seagrave ,was born in the U.S. to an American mother and an Irish father.
    I thought he was a brit, I learn something new every day.

12. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

When Segrave was born in 1890, the whole of the island of Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom. So, under British nationality laws, as his father was British and even though he was born in the United States he was therefore a UK citizen. After 1922, since he had Irish heritage, he could presumably have applied for citizenship of the Irish Free State, but he chose not to.

His knighthood was not an hereditary title, but was conferred on him by King George V in April 1929. (It is possible for non-UK citizens to be awarded an honorary knighthood, but these are rarely given, usually for diplomatic, military, cultural or scientific achievements where a foreign citizen has made a significant contribution to British life or international understanding. None have ever been awarded to foreign sportsmen. Honorary knights include Steven Spielberg, Placido Domingo, President Eisenhower and Bill Gates.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  13. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

O/T, but I've always thought Joe E Brown is a dead ringer for the Scottish comedian Stanley Baxter!
    [​IMG]

14. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Wow. Good eye Vitesse

15. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

Not saying your wrong, Carl, as I do not know who the guy is.... but, I just don't see Joe Brown there. The guy in the car has a big smile... just not Joe E. Brown BIG!

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

That is one big engine!!

Ago

17. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Well I bet his trademark wide smile was tempered by sitting in the race car - lol
    [​IMG]

18. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

19. gilmore

gilmore
    from Missouri

"Top Speed".... you got my attention with that photo! I thought this might be a racing movie I hadn't heard of and it is a racing movie- motorboat racing. ;-) Seems to have been a 1930 release.

I was looking through the Art Sparks book "Speedway" and noticed the photo in question appears in the book.... funny, I didn't remember it appearing in there. Sadly, apparently Sparks couldn't even remember who the guy was as he lists him as an unidentified guest. Methinks Sparks would have recognized/known if it was Joe E. Brown.

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Gilmore

21. gearguy

gearguy

Our Argentine correspondent, Leo Barbiari, is assembling a Fronty headed Ford Model T engine from parts his late father collected over the years. He has asked for advice from the HAMB on how best to sell the resulting motor, where to sell it, and, of course, how to price it fairly. For those unfamilar with the Argentine motorsports scene, the Barbiaris have been involved with the midget racing club since it started along with other classes such as road racing 1930's coupes with 6 cylinder motors. As soon as he sends photos I will post them here.

22. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Pereyra Antonio rosario mercurybimotor.jpg Pascuali bimotor Rafa57(V).jpg I have a spot on the club page that permits me to hang up all my local historic monoposto pictures, bellow is a real bizzar car, these are two Mercurys front and rear drive, very very fast when all went well, this car did quite well, at our historic oval track Rafaela way back in the late 40 s. Do have a look, under construction still.
    www.clubautomovilesclasicos.com then go to monopostos up top.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank you David for letting me ride shotgun in both cars. Bob

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

25. This thread just keeps getting better. HRP

26. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

..From 1914 "The Autocar Yearbook"

Attached Files:

27. ehdubya

ehdubya

28. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Great photos (as usual) T-Head! I friend of mine made the trek to Milwaukee this past weekend, and I'm anxious to here all about it. It's definitely on my list of places to go.
    By the way, sent you a PM.
    ZZZ

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The sound of that Delage made my day. What a lovely piece of art!

30. Don Capps

Don Capps

Any more on this? Inquiring minds would like to know more about this "revelation."