Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 Chevy truck wanders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tims37chevy, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Just looking for ideas to help reduce the truck wandering. I have new king pins and bushings new modern tie rod ends new tires about an 1/8 toe in and put in 6 degree caster shims but this thing still wonders quite a bit. How much toe in can I go? I also have a power steering conversion on it and rebuilt the steering box and adjusted that so there is no slop in the steering also has new spring bushings. Any help would great!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Wanders? or Wonders?

What does it have for tires? How is the rear suspension, as far as spring bushings and stuff?

3. What type of steering box? Toyota box, 70's chevy 2 wheel drive truck box? Is the pitman arm parallel to the ground? More info please!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I have the Chevy Saginaw box and yes the pit man is parallel to the ground I have very little to no bump steer it just wanders you really have to "drive" it to keep it on the road

5. I have pretty much same set up except I have a 4" dropped front axle. I put a steering dampner on mine and I have no wandering issues. Might want to try that.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

As Jim asked; what sort of tires are you running and are they in good condition? I have radial tires on mine. Doesn't wander at all.

7. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

We had to crank about 9 degrees caster in my dads gasser to keep that from wandering. Its a straight tube axle. His Model A roadster has a 4" drop axle. We are at 6 degrees caster on that but had to go to 1/4" toe in to keep it comfortable to drive. No issues with tire wear yet.