Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do fiberglass Ts have a place here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gray Goat, Jun 12, 2014.

1. :)that does look good, will have to follow your progress.

2. Track-T

Track-T

[​IMG] Been on here since 2003 and they still put up with me :) Not a "bucket", but still glass

Gray Goat likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

I'm way more impressed by "I did this myself" that what the hell you made it out of. A traditional build out of off the shelf parts built for you by somebody else doesn't do much for me.

Track-T likes this.
  4. Track-T

Track-T

well said 5window, I'm in my 10th year because of build parts myself plus I'm cheap. why buy if you can build.

5. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Building something from scratch is traditional. Seems to be a lot of flexibility on here if the attitude is "correct". Go for it.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's a unique body! ...and the firewall just screams Chevy. I believe with the right wheelbase and placement of things that will stand out nicely.
    Welcome.
    Great job so far.

7. silent rick

silent rick

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Classic HAMB comments. From opinions on what's traditional, to what's okay to build with. Always entertaining. Keep up the bad work.:D

9. silent rick

silent rick

i don't know why he's asking us. ryan's is the only opinion that matters. if he says he's ok with it, then you're good to go. send him a pm. oops, strike up a conversation with him. private messages are so old school.

10. Why wouldn't they be? Build it, just like Mr Roth would have and let 'em eat worms if they can't take a joke.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one good looking body . As mentioned above a lot of us older guys started with glass T buckets, T buckets or T bucket style cars back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
    Here it isn't using the glass body but how you use the glass body or steel body for that matter and what you add to the mix to build the car. The green car on the previous page is a good example of getting it right along with Silent Rick's photo in post 38. Well built cars that appear that they were or could have been built in the mid 50's to mid 60's during the 77 Sunset Strip era when most of who are now in our late 60's faithfully watched the show on TV every week hoping to see the car make an appearance while we probably couldn't tell you the plot of a certain episode to save our souls as we just watched like hawks to see the car. After the mid 60's most T buckets got loaded down with too much added on clutter in the name of having them a bit wilder than other T buckets and lost that basic engine with a body and set of wheels and tires feel that a lot of the early ones had.

12. More posts to follow soon, the mold is about half made, but my job keeps interfering with my hobby so progress is slow :). The body in the pics was made from parts of other glass cars hacked and cut and joined together with body the original body lines removed and replaced with Chevy lines. The fire wall is a genie 1928 Chevrolet piece that had a bunch of holes and rough edges and a little rust. Fixed it and cut the glass and bonded in the steel piece. I'm thinking of launching another thread with pics from the begging to show the process. Warning I'm a professional redneck so you may get a laugh out of how I did some things.

13. I agree, not a fan of the flashy t's though if thats what turns their crank let them have fun. For me it will be a keep it simple philosophy. Home built frame, scrap yard rebuilt posi rear end, basic engine and trans with a home sewn interior. Want to do as much as I can myself!

14. I had a good friend,Paul Eskew,that wanted to build a hot rod almost 20 years ago.

So I loaned him my 29 roadster body and being a pretty creative guy he used my roadster to build a mold,sprayed it with yellow gel coat and pulled out a amazing body,

He built a square tubing frame and after installing the body on the frame he said something didn't look right,so he ask me if he could borrow my set of Deuce frame rails and again he pulled a mold off the rails and made a glass set.

He then bolted them to the body and laid the front portion over the front frame,,it looked exactly like he had used a '32 frame,,it was a huge improvement.

He then wanted a hood and due to the fact that he had positioned the engine forward a regular hood wouldn't work so when he was looking for something to use for a mold he spied a heavy duty garbage can that the city had dropped off in front of his shop and it had a unique shape so he used it to create the hood and grill.

The car was extremely low buck but looked pretty good and Paul enjoyed that car until his untimely passing.

Being creative is always traditional.

I didn't have a digital camera back then but do have some photos and I will dig out a photo or two and post them when I get home. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  15. madmak95

madmak95

That looks like it will be a good looking bucket when your finished. Heres my 'glass.
    01.jpeg

16. go fast with glass. the drag guys have been using glass for quite a while. your looks really nice and home made is a huge huge plus. I think you will be fine, welcome

17. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Welcome...and don't forget to wear your respirator..Ya don't want to catylize your lungs..Great looking body, very creative.

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What windshield assembly is your body made to fit?
    How about a pickup bed or turtle deck?
    If you make up a mould from your body any boat shop or camper top builder can shoot bodies from it to sell and finance your build.

19. Neat look, like the hood scoop and the headlights mounts in particular. Did you cast those mounts yourself?

20. Thanks I've got a custom tank designed for the back that will take me into the sheet metal realm. the idea is to build an all chevy bucket.

21. looks like a handful!!! .......of fun!

22. I will be fabricating posts to fit, either steel cut bent and ground to shape or cast aluminum. I'm leaning toward cast aluminum since i can carve any design I like in wood, plaster or whatever and then sand cast the part.
    At this point I plan on putting a custom fuel tank on the rear like awakes modified, but a shape I haven't seen before.
    I could have bodies shot from the mold but for now am going to do hand a layup. Usually turns out lighter and I don't have the chopper gun equipment anyway.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn! I'm digging that body!!

24. New to this forum thing do you have a guid thread?

25. Thanks need louvers, I wanted something different and a little larger than the traditional buckets.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Make it look like this and we'll love you! Your body made me think of Romeo's. DSCN0008.jpg

27. 3340

why not,welcome!

28. Like the headers, Fenton I believe, have a set destined for mine!

29. meant to say build thread

30. should have been LAKES MODIFIED, got to spell check before I post :)