Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 35 Ford front brakes- HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asphalt Outlaw Hero, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

My front brakes are about shot on my 35. I still have wires with later juice backing plates. A few questions:
    Anyone make a replacement 35 drum (different from 32-34 ?).
    Anyone make a bolt on disc conversion for 35's ?
    As I understand it, I'd have to go to 37-up spindles for any later style drums?

Thoughts? Insights?

2. Dig up the search on the fourm here of brakes. Tons of info. Sorry I don't know how to link you to it.

3. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

What is shot, brake shoes worn out or wear damage to drums?

4. I always thought you could run the '40-'48 drums on the '35 spindles. There is a spacer required for the bearing and a ring to center the backing plate. I know you can run the later drums on a Model A and '32 but I am not that up on the '35. Also be sure to run spacers for the wires on the later drums. This might be a good question for fordbarn, although fordbarn is for stockers using hydraulic brakes on the early cars seems to be an acceptable topic.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Asphalt Outlaw Hero likes this.

5. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Drums are worn out. They have been turned to the limit.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, Charlie has it right. You get the hydraulic brake conversion kit, which available from literally any early Ford supplier and contains a pair of small ring adaptors and bearing spacers. Then any drum and backing plate from '40 to '48 will slide right on. Now if you are using wires, you'll need a pair of wire wheel support rings too from that same supplier.

Now, did you say initially that you already have hydraulic brakes on your car? If yes, then most of this has already been done, and it's just a matter of figuring if you have a an early brake drum (mounts to the inside of the hub '40 - late '41) or a late drum that fits over the hub, ('42-'48)

7. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Some great help from you guys. I'm going to pull wheel back off and examine it. I live on a big hill so brakes are VERY important to me !!!!

8. Post a couple of pictures while you have them off. Be sure to include the 6 o'clock position of the backing plates so we can id the year.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  9. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Here is a picture I took when trying to ID drums.[​IMG]

10. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Got the wheel off. I'd forgotten the joys of undoing an air gun's torque! I'm assuming these are 35 ?
    [​IMG]

11. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Thoes aren't '35 drums, they are later--41-48?

12. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I've learned they are 46-48. Anyone know of a source with hub on outside ?

13. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I may be onto a used set. Anyone know what the ID should be for this drum ?

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The brake hub/drums are 42-48 Pass/42-47 Pickup.
    The backing plates could be 39-41 which have lower shoe adjustment as well as upper, or 42-48 which have upper adjustment only.
    Ne drums are available from your favorite early V8 parts source.

16. The id should be 12.000. The closer it is to that the more the drum/hub is worth. If it won't clean up to 12.060 I would call it scrap. If the hub is shot but the drum is good be sure you get a cost (and shop) to change the drum to a new hub before you buy it. If the shop hasn't done it before don't let them learn on yours. It requires a 20 ton press and someone that knows what they are doing. The drums don't just slip on like modern cars.

Charlie Stephens

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

I managed to score a good set of drums. One was NOS !
    Thanks for the help.

18. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I tried to convince you at BG they were not 35 drums, but was depending on my 66 year old memory!! Glad you got the replacements! What I want to see now is the 35 ON the ROAD!!!!! :);):cool: Joe