Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HOW/WHY (?) DOES THIS HAPPEN.>GRUNGE WHEELS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelguy, Jun 3, 2014.

1. fortynut

fortynut

I needed a good laugh and got several. I suggest letting the tooth brush sit overnight in a diluted solution of household bleach. Rinse well before use. Does wonders. And, a brake hone might work for polishing inside the tail pipes, if they're not too big. Follow through with some green Scotch-Brite on a stick slotted to hold a wad in place (staples would be good too), and finally use some steel wool. If you're going for a deep, lustrous mirror-bright shine drill a hole into a golf ball and thread it on a length of all-thread, then stick a couple of socks over the golf ball and use some jeweler's rouge, or Brasso. Chuck this up in a drill and go easy. Don't forget and leave it inside the tail-pipe and attempt starting the engine. Small animals and children may be harmed. We'd all like picture of anyone who has done this for tech week. Carl

46Chief likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I need a set of those wheels for my Chevy II. If you give them to me, I promise to keep the back side clean. (unlike the aluminum slots on my other rides, which are at least that grungy on the back side)

3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'll get to the back of my wheels as soon as I am done greasing the muffler bearings and adding blinker fluid.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got a set of ansen sprints on a car for 17 years, i dont think ive ever even thought about the cleanliness of the backside of the wheels. untill today.....

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

So, I'm guessing the wheels came off a driver or racer and NOT a trailer queen show car. Works for me... Nice score :)

6. stimpy

stimpy

you do it the hard way fire the motor up and pour a container of comet down the carb then rinse ..

thank goodness you do not own a semi , if you seen the crap that build up on the backs of the inner wheels stuck between the drums and rims , empty pop cans, dead animals , a pound or two of grease ( from the s cam brackets) , I used to pressure wash them clean when we changed tires that was it ,

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have to admit I am not the most meticulous person when it comes to cleaning my cars. I give them the occasional wash or maybe a wipe down with detailer, but that is about it. I know some people love getting into all the little places to keep them spotless, but as long as mine look sort of clean I am happy.

Don

8. Fuck, I tried this with the car in the garage, took 5 minutes before I could get out of the car with all them tennis balls flying around the garage!-MIKE:eek::D

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  9. I soak my balls in gasoline before I internally polish my exhaust... wait a minute... never mind.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  10. Smells like mineral spirits!

11. COOP

COOP

I checked the back of my wheels....... they ain't bad, but now I'm worried that the air in 'em is dirty.... thanx, there goes the rest of the day.

12. captmullette

captmullette

you obviously don't live on my dirt road from hell.......front side is a chore

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have come to the conclusion that you either have a brilliant sense of humor or are some special kinda stupid.

14. Wheels have a back side?.........

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I quit reading car magazines because I need all of my time to keep up with new catalog releases from Griot's Garage...this week, they finally (Thank heavens...it's about time!!!) released a specially shaped Q-Tip for cleaning the ratchet grooves in Ford seat tracks. I'm still waiting for them to get on with the covers for my brake pedal covers. I've nearly had several accidents from having to lean way over to clean the covers that keep my shoe from touching the brake pedal when my shoe unavoidably touches THEM to avoid running over some jerk in my way.
    I'm experimenting with driving my car with rolled-and-pleated white naugahyde spare tire covers filled with Armor All in place on all wheels, in the hope of shortening my eleven hour nightly cleaning ritual when I garage the car. All I'll have to do for the wheels in the future, I hope, is pour out the dirty Armor All and replace it, then run surgical stainless thread chasers through the 20 lugnuts and reassemble. The Armor All leaking into the brakes of course makes life a bit dodgy for the filthy riff-raff in front of me, but keeps the pads and linings clean too...a GREAT trade-off for sure!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. I like mine to start out clean but I am with you, I don't pull my wheels to clean them.

Well I do clean the backside of the wheels on my chipfoose wondermobile. :rolleyes:

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Have you tried dryer sheets for cleaning the back of your wheels?

18. I hate to admit, but I clean the back of my wheels. I do this the easy way, I back up and it redeposit the dirt, hard part is remembering where you drove it.

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Your suppose to clean the wheels? Well, damn!
    I'm lucky to have the front side reasonably clean. I'm happy if things don't crawl out of the wheels and come towards me when I pull off the wheels to check the brakes every couple of years. Gene

20. I put grunge on mine so people think I drive mine......:cool:

21. dadseh

dadseh

2 words of wisdom....OVEN CLEANER!
    Best damn wheel cleaner you can get, just wipe off any overspray that gets on to the outside showface of wheel, crack a beer, wait 10 minutes and wash off with soapy water.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You don't need to clean you wheels, if you are driving.

23. Nix on the tennis balls, pour the Mothers right down the carb, (3 or 4 gallons should do it) this will polish all the pesky scratches off the cylinder walls before making the exhaust system shine

24. i can't believe this thread. embarrassing :oops: