Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 hudson fuel pump help...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bagged50, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Bagged50

Bagged50
    from Oregon

I have a 49 Hudson with a straight 8. It is equipped with a combination (fuel/vacuum) pump that was removed a few years ago. Today I finally got around to putting it back in the car.I got the car started but the fuel pump was knocking. I've took it out and put it back in 3 times, Its hitting something possibly the crank? I can see the mark on the arm. is there a certain place or way to put it in? Thanks!

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hudson used a stack of gaskets to slow heat transfer to the pump. You will need multiple gaskets .250" thick to take the knock out of your pump. I've got a 49 too but runs a 55 308" 6 Hornet motor. Same deal with it but I run a 70's model AMC pump. Lots of Hudson specific help here:
    http://forum.hetclub.org/

3. Ramblur

Ramblur

4. Bagged50

Bagged50
    from Oregon

Thank you very much for your response! I would have never guessed that was the problem. i will try that now. I have a twin h that went through a house fire:( but i've been doing some research to see if it can be rebuilt.

5. Ramblur

Ramblur

You can download or peruse the factory manual online and Walt Mordenti has released two volumes of tech tips on all things Hudson. Well into his 90's now but worked on these when they were new. He addresses fuel pumps on pg.34 of Vol. 1 (pg.38 of the download) http://hetclub.org/burr/other/WaltMordenti'sTechTips-Vol1.pdf

6. Bagged50

Bagged50
    from Oregon

Thank you again for the information. I ended up finding the gaskets that where on there, and it fixed the problem.