Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John "Gunner" Gunnell, Jun 14, 2014.

1. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

My son picked this one up in Illinois about two weeks ago. The "Big Six" was all froze up for about 30 years so we got a 1972-1973 Chevy 350 with redone heads, Chrome valve covers, Holley and Chrome Edelbrock air cleaner. Now we are trying to figurte out engine mounting, best trans and whewther we should just rip out the old wire bundles and start fresh as the wiring was a mess. Taking it out would make the underhood clean up a lot easier

2. Gunner
    I have had my best luck (as in easiest) using a Hurst or Hurst style mount. You will need to fab or buy a mid mount of some sort and you probably won't get away with floating your tail shaft but the Hurst style mount is easiest.

I would probably just build a new harness for it as well. Most of my stuff runs a simplified harness unless it already has a good harness.

Would love to see pics of the coupe, love those old studes.

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Still love that body style.

4. Kirk
    Long time no see. How ya been?

I chuckle every time I see one and yes I agree the body style is exquisite in an odd sort of a way. The reason I chuckle is that when i was very small they reminded me of a WWII German helmet, and I called them an Army hat car (still do). But I am with you I love em.

5. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I used to have a 51 Starlite Coupe. Nice car but like many others, let it go. I had it when I was 16 and all the girls made fun of it so I got a Mustang. Sold it about 8 years later in 1980.

6. i have a '48 starlight coupe I'm just finishing up now and should be on road in a few days … if all goes well. i would love to see pics of what your son is building … I'm running a simplified homebuilt 12v conversion harness on the factory "big six". super simple and easy to do and it does clean up the firewall nicely.