Register now to get rid of these ads!

Questions about a 39 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48fordnut, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have an interest in owning a 39 chevy coupe, and would like to hear from some one that has one.

What supension?
    Did you use a clip?
    Parts sources?

I hope to find a running driving car.

2. just finished a 37 coupe. Same frame I guess. We used a JW Hotrod front end and Chassis Engineering rear set up. Nothing fancy just a good driver and safe for the owner who wanted it that way but not very traditional. He had us remove the straight axle as it looked to much like a gasser he thought!

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. That is my opinion also.
    I guess my question should be ,what trouble spots to look for, and how does it drive
    and handle.

4. mrrilla

mrrilla
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Vail,AZ

I am finishing up a 39 business coupe. I put a Heidts front end under it and a 69 camaro rear axle. ZZ4 with TPI injection and a 700R4. I haven't put a lot of miles on it but it drive nice so far. The frames are already boxed however adding a K-member helps stiffen things up.

As far as parts go, there are far less suppliers for Fords. Chevs of the 40s, The filling station, and i and i reproductions come to mind. Over the years, I have gathered names of guys dealing with original parts.

I love the look of the 39 and since the one I own was my dads first car, it means even more to me. Let me know what you are looking, I have a small stock of parts and sources.

-Dan

5. DH9185

DH9185

Depends, gasser or custom street rod. Mine has a straight axle setup with Camaro disk brakes front, and CE coilover setup Ford 9" in back.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

33sporttruck likes this.
  6. Sleep Disorder

Sleep Disorder

Hey DH9185… what did you have to do to change the front axle to accept the camaro brakes?

7. I had a '38. Quite similar. Used a M-II front, non-power steering (car is too light for power, IMHO), standard discs. Aspen (Plymouth) rear. Stock springs, sway bars front and rear.

This car was a dream to drive. Rode very well, handled quite competently, and was my only car for two years.

By all means, drive the car before purchase. It should not ride rough, if it does, someone may have cut coils to get it low (not necessary if built right), as a friend found out on his '37 that was Nova-clipped. Badly.

Actually, if built right, should drive like a Camry, but with a trunkload of soul, which is missing from the Camry.

Cosmo

8. DH9185

DH9185

It's a custom straight tube axle built by Chris Boccioco (Choke) in northern California. He is now specializing in gassers. If you decide to go the gasser route let me know and I'll take some pics for you, pretty simple setup.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. racecar68

racecar68

Did you ever find a coupe? I know where one is, for sale, complete. The owner is not much for computers, but it is a great car. reply to me only if serious.

10. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Finished this one (almost) prior to 1968. It became my daily driver. Not a Coupe but the chassis is the same if you find a beam axle Coupe. Used the original beam axle and added a 55 Chevy rear end, 283 4 bbl. and Power Slide. I was a kid and I loved that Old Sedan..............Jeff

Attached Files:

11. InPrimer

InPrimer

My 37 Chevy has a Chassis Engineering Mustang II front end . It is the bolt in type. in other words it uses reference points from the frame and frame holes to line it up.(not welded to the frame) Been under the car for 19 yrs, only replacement was a weak P/S rack .

12. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck