Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Unicorn Part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows where I can source a 1961-64 Ford 262 stock alternator bracket?

I have two Ford 223 engines I'm converting to alternators.

I went to the antique car junk yard in Wilton NH looking for donor generator brackets to convert and happened upon a stock 262 alternator bracket. It was a perfect fit for the 223.

I spent the next few hours looking over the entire yard with no luck finding a second. Only thing I picked up was 9 ticks!!! If you go there watch out for those bastards.

I called Desert Valley and another large yard in California with no luck. Any idea guys for some other yards to try?

Thanks

2. 262's are pretty rare anymore and most had generators I think. Just look for the 223 bracket....same thing and many more were made.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, you have one bracket, have someone make a copy of it, then you will have 2. Gene

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

its a cast bracket it will be hard to copy, its not your basic metal stock. I may have to get my back yard foundry up and running and make a cast. Its really a very nice bracket.

5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have a few 223 generator brackets but they never made a alternator bracket for the 223, the 262 externally is basically the same and most came with generators however they offered a alternator upgrade as a engine option.

I'm doing a off frame resto on a 56 f100 and I would like a stock looking bracket, my 59 fairlaine is currently using the 262 bracket and I would like to keep it there if I can. If I can't source another one it will make its way onto the f100

6. What's it look like?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i will try to get some pictures, i wish I took one before I installed it.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Look at old state or military vehicles to get alternator brackets,it seems those vehicles had alternators way before the rest. Found a alternator bracket for a Y block off a early 60s dump truck that used to the a state truck.

9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thanks for the tip!

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just got back from the local old junkyard and found a 57 and 59 ex military or state vehicles with 223s that had alternators,was not a cast bracket but one that looked to be welded up. I could grab them the next time I go but not sure if they would work with modern alternators since these looked much larger.

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Try Flattop Bob at Owens auto salvage, he's listed in the hamb o dex

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!