Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hemi with oil in the spark plug tubes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jun 12, 2014.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Sorry this probably has been posted before - but I cant find it
    Question - I have a 392 Hemi with the Hot Head machine in tube holder
    when I pull my plugs ,there is oil in the head up to the plug hole
    is this right - the tubes wobble in the Hot head tube holder ?

2. marfen

marfen
    from sask

usually the tubes fit tight in the tube holders.

3. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

The spark plug tubes should fit tightly into the recessed area of the head, then the plugs screw thru them and into the head, and at the top of the tube is the rubber o-ring to seal every thing up, so is the oil in the tube? if so it might be coming from the spark plug end, I had bought O'brein Truckers valve covers and never had a problem, might try new plugs the metal gasket rings might be the problem. Good luck Von Doc

4. Andy

Andy

The plug seals the tube around the plug. It is common for oil to be in the plug recess around the tube and up to the plug hole when the plug and tube is removed.

5. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks Andy - I kind of thought that - seems strange - where does the oil come from - the tube
    and the holder
    Thanks

6. Andy

Andy

It is spray off the rockers. They have drilled oiling holes. It just flys around and gets down between the tubes and the recesses. The tubes can be almost impossible to get out of old engines that never got the tubes out for plug changes. The oil can solidify and really hold the tubes.

7. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks again - do I need to replace the tubes ? and do the washers stay on the plugs - I have heard the tubes need to seal the plugs - no washers
    thanks

8. v8paul

v8paul
    from england

I have stock tubes on mine, as has been said, undo the plugs and the oil appears, just collects at bottom, no problem. I've run mine 6 years and keep the washers on the plugs and have never changed the tubes. Runs fine !

9. concreteman

concreteman

10. oldgrease

oldgrease
    from Alabama

the spark plugs pull the tubes into the head reces which is a snug fit, (almost press). if its the right tubes they should not leak. there are several variations out there. hope this helps.

oil ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402684619.479532.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1402684635.712808.jpg when you pull the plugs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang likes this.
  11. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The tubes fit quite snug in the Dodge and Desoto heads. The Chryslers do not. It is more of a pain than a problem. I reproduce the early type of lower tube seals which fasten to the head. These use an additional set of the rubber seals as used on the top of the tubes. There are also press in lower seal assemblies from other vendors, most of which require some machining.

To the OP, are you sure the correct O-rings are in the HH tube seals you are using?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014