Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 Back To The 50's St. Paul, MN June 20, 21, 22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed~On, May 20, 2014.

1. Speed~On

Speed~On

As many have stated the venue is perfect. Lots of trees, shade, grass, nicely paved streets, and many vendor buildings. They even offer shuttle rides back and forth to the Mall of America in the event your wife and children want to spend a few hours doing something else. Don't forget to have some of those great warm chocolate chip cookies...you'll understand once you have them.

Looking forward to another great Back To The 50's!
    upload_2014-5-28_20-13-21.jpeg

upload_2014-5-28_20-13-41.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Speed~On

Speed~On

2 weeks and it's, ON! A little bump for HAMBers that may be attending this great event.

3. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Been going since I was 16.......I'm 42 now. Probably in it for the long haul

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Looking forward to seeing some fellow HAMBer's there. Lots left to do, i guess it will be as ready as it is going to be on the 18th.
    any plans yer for a Saturday meet up?

5. 2MNYTYS

2MNYTYS
    from MN

Sorry to hear of your situation at the show last year. I am not sure who you talked to but there are several plans in place for anyone having troubles. I think it was 12 or 13 years ago there was a program started called the "Start Cart". There are two golf carts equipped with tools, gas, jumper packs and a tow rope to help those that are having problems. They will assist the owners to try to get the vehicles going again. If that does not work they will tow you, yes with the golf cart, to the Michigan Hot Rod Association's Rod Repair Shop on the grounds. MHRA has had the rod repair shop at 50's for about 20 years. There is also a towing company on the grounds and on call for the more major situations and they charge a very minimum fee to help. These services have even helped stranded spectators out in the parking lots. Hope you have a better year this year, only 9 days to go!

tims37chevy likes this.
  6. 2935ford

2935ford

I have only been there once but....I can not say enough good things about this get together.
    IMHO one of the most under rated shows around.
    Perfect setting, plenty to do, lots of venders, food, music and just tons of really cool cars..........

7. robertsregal

robertsregal

It's a family event for us and the plus this year we are taking our 57 buick, I'm stoked!!

8. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Been there many, many times in the past. It's gotten a little too large for that fairgrounds. I can remember when 6-7 thousand cars was getting bad. I also remember the last time I was there in 2005 and it was over the 10,500 mark! Fridays were always my favorite day and Saturday was just loaded with people, strollers and bedlum. Guess I'm getting too old for the huge crowds! I always loved seeing Bob Klessig there!

9. scoop

scoop

MSRA hs a start cart roaming around,they could have helped you,they've helped me a few times.

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

It has to be better than last year weather-wise, still had fun though. If you look under the hood or car long enough people will investigate and offer help. ; )

11. brjnelson

brjnelson

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

Well next Thursday it begins. Thursday really is a day of hot rodding as there are plenty of cars at the host hotel as well as people driving their hot rods to registration pick up. There are also numerous cruise-in's throughout the twin cities metro area Thursday evening/night.

The Minnetonka Drive-in has a cruise-in every Thursday evening. Every year on the Thursday before BTT50s you see hot rods in attendance with their registration tags in the front window. This is a 50's style drive-in with working drive up style order stands.

4658 Shoreline Dr
    Spring Park, MN 55384
    [​IMG]

If you know of other cruise-ins on Thursday, feel free to post. The area around the fairgrounds is absolutely crawling with cars Thursday night.

1 week...

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I guess it about time to get all the parts back on the car, hope to see some fellow HAMBers next week

14. Weatherwise, they're sayin' it's gonna be hot and humid, but as everyone knows who lives here that's about a 50/50 forecast! it could go just the opposite direction. It was 60 degrees yesterday and 82 the day before.

15. Jason455

Jason455

I have missed the meet and greet for the last 5 or so years. Where is it now?

16. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

We've been going to the show for over 20 years and I don't remember a bad year, just go with the flow and have a good time. Missed last year (cancer really sucks) but will be back this year with good friends and family. so, if you see a guy wandering around on crutches and wearing a pith helmet, say hi, I'd like to meet you. Only a week to go, can't wait... Scott

17. Speed~On

Speed~On

Wow, I'll take this! From the National Weather Service. Keeping my fingers crossed this forecast holds!!
    Fri June 20

High 79°
    Low 61
    Partly Cloudy
    Chance of rain: 10% (In Minnesota terms, that means extremely minimal)
    Wind: ESE at 11 mph

Sat June 21
    High 78°
    Low 64°
    Mostly Cloudy
    Chance of rain: 0%
    Wind: S at 10 mph

Sun June 22
    High 82°
    Low 65°
    Partly Cloudy
    Chance of rain: 10%
    Wind: SW at 8 mph

18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Yep, the weather looks promising. I drive a hour to and from the show daily with no top so I manage to get wet sometime during the weekend.

19. scoop

scoop

Joey,still want that MC?

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A friend will be debuting his new ride. 340 powered '41 Plymouth P.U. built by Hamb'er TFritz.
    Plan is to do the registration thing then hit the Minnetonka Drive-in.

21. jazz1

jazz1

finding my way there for over 20 years, only 300 miles and its all paved road!
    [​IMG]

22. henryj429

henryj429

28th straight year for me. I will be driving my street rod (the red one) , so I'll be sure to keep it well hidden from any HAMB gathering. Looking forward to drinking beer with the Canadians.

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I'll be there in my newly finished Deuce 5W. Got 50 miles on it now ..... 20140610_202858_resized.jpg

tims37chevy likes this.
  24. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I'll be there with my 49' Chevy Pickup.

Attached Files:

25. carryallman

carryallman

we will be there ! i was at the very first one ! believe it was a rod magazine event ,went with buddies had a great time for a few yrs /then our wives found out about it ! since then the wives have been with us every year !my kids grew up there ,have had lots of memories there ! maybe when i die ,i will have my ashes spread there ? is that legal ??? anyway any hambers having a get to-gether there ? if so post something before thursday morning early??? thanks mike

26. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Let's hope the daily rain wraps up today, as it is pouring at the moment. On the bright side, I do have all the windows in the car now, last year it was just the windshield.

27. Hands down, the greatest car show on the planet!

28. Speed~On

Speed~On

I'll see you at Registration Pick-up in a few hours. Going out to the garage to finish detailing the interior in the Model A now. Looks like Fri is going to be sunny and only a 20% chance of precip. Sat/Sun with mostly sunny skies. Rainy now, but sounds like we're going to finally dry out for the weekend. Whew!

Looking forward to a fun weekend, seeing all the great cars, music, and people.

29. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Having the registration pickup on Wednesday this year was great.Traffic going back was bad.Will be there with my unfinished project this year.Missed making last year by a week. IMG_6961.JPG

30. Speed~On

Speed~On

Went to Registration pick-up today and saw a lot of cars. I snapped a lot of pictures but Photobucket is slow to load tonight, so I will post what I have transferred so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rain is moving out! For those of you in town for BTT50's Friday is down to about 0% chance of rain with highs in the 80's and sunny skies. Report on the local news tonight, they are once again anticipating well over 12,000 cars this weekend. Well, I'm gonna go pack up the Model A so I'm ready for tomorrow morning...see you there!!

I'll try to load more photos tonight if I get the time....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014