Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "Build that thing and get it out of my spot!" Shoebox build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DadsBlueFord, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I've been such a slacker, spending all my time either just playing with my daughter or building stuff for her room from wood. I also built a cigar-box guitar for her, she's starting guitar lessons now. These are off-topic, but here's what I've been spending my time on...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

davo461 likes this.
  2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My daughter would love that bed - I might have to steal that idea ;) . I love the guitar - I'm thinking of building a cigar box guitar too (for myself though) . I have a really cool electric guitar made from a 5-liter Castrol oil can , called an "Afri-Can" guitar (no kidding) I didn't make it , it came outta South Africa . I don't have any pics of it online , so you'll have to google it .
    Nice work on your OT projects , BTW

3. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks. The basic plans for the bed I got at ana-white.com. I'm going to make another cigar box guitar for myself, electric this time. Trying to find the right box and other parts.

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Glad to hear your wife has her parking spot back! Get back to the shoebox!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I know, I know! That's why I'm getting caught up on all the shoebox threads here - I need the motivation!

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

We moved into temporary housing when we moved to New Jersey and will be there until February 21st and I am so ready to move in. I need garage time! Tyler needs garage time! Do it for is!

7. Any updates? Love what you're doing with the shoebox!

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Funny you should bring that up now. After a year of literally not touching my car, I decided yesterday to get off my ass and get back at it. I cleaned out the junk that had started to accumulate in it, and dug through all my parts and whatnot I've gathered for it to re-acquaint myself with where everything is.

I didn't want to destroy my perfectly good steering box by cutting the shaft to use with the Volvo box, so a couple of months ago I found another donor box, and cut the shaft off that one. I re-mounted the Volvo box, and stuck the column and shaft in to get an idea of where everything sits. It all lines up pretty nicely. I need to get a short section of steel DD shaft to graft onto the end of the existing shaft. I have one that is stainless, but I'm not real sure about welding stainless to the steel shaft.

Today I'm going to borrow a coil-spring compressor from O'Reilly's and start to remove the front suspension to install Aerostar coils and dropped uprights. I've realized that I can't get an accurate measurement of the drivetrain angles with the stock stuff in there and no weight on the front end. Currently it's sitting all the way up in the air, and the trans is sitting 7* down. I'm also working on getting a second set of A-arms to play around with setting them up for bags, in case I decide to go that route.

9. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

a year without even touching it :(

10. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I know, right? Well I've started making VERY slow progress on moving forward with it. I finally got the section of DD shaft in, found a machine shop to turn it down for me, ordered and received a Volvo steering box rebuild kit, and got my hands on the O'Reilly spring compressor. Now all I need is some time - I've been working my ass off this month, and getting our toys (travel trailer, boat, ATVs) ready for summer. I WILL make some progress this week!! (When I'm back in town, that is...)

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I just did the volvo swap in mine last weekend. The biggest difference is only going 1/2 way around to turn corners. Full left to full right is 4 1/2 turns. Contrary to what people say it's not like having power steering. But it is a huge difference for the better and well worth it.

12. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I saw that in your thread, looks good.

About a week ago, I got a 12" section of steel DD and took it and the steering shaft to a machine shop to have 3" of the DD turned down to fit into the hole of the stock steering shaft. Once I get the front suspension reassembled I'll start figuring out the Volvo swap. Mine will be a little more complicated because I'm going to modify/keep the stock shifter to shift the 4R70W.

[​IMG]

I got my ass into the garage today and finally started doing SOMETHING on the car. Started tearing down the front suspension so I can put in the Fatman drop spindles and Aerostar springs. I want to get an idea of ride height to decide whether to keep going that route or maybe bag it.

Going camping this weekend, so I'll get back on it when we get back.

13. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

14. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Tore down the left front suspension, now I need to clean it all up while I'm waiting for rebuild parts from Chris at Shoebox Central. I don't think this stuff has been touched in decades, that dirt's gotta be over 50 years old!

[​IMG]

15. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Subscribed..

Dan

16. It's been a while...how's it going?

17. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I have been one lazy m-f'er. Haven't gotten much of anything accomplished in quite a while. I need a kick in the ass to get back at it.

18. Beautiful car there. You're way ahead of me - here's where I am today on my '50: No floor March 24 2016.JPG

19. Hey, Dad's Blue Ford, you mentioned a while back that you found a Jeep tach that fits where the clock used to be in the dash. Details please! I want to do that.

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID