Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods drive shaft length???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Lucky, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Has anyone made this swap? I have a 51 Chevy coupe with a '62 235 engine running the 216 flywheel and bellhousing. I am installing an S 10 T 5 transmission using Hot Rod Works adapter plate and crossmember. The rear differential is 1955 Chevy Belair. I need information as to what drive shaft will junkyard work.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are too many variables.

You will need to get everything in, put a yoke in the transmission, pull it out an inch, and mesure.

Close enough, is this case, isn't.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Basically, I agree with Gimpy. Many years ago in HRM there was an article on installing B&M Hydrostick trans in most anything, and it included driveshaft info.Their recommendation was to bottom out yoke, and then pull it back 5/8".

That said, when I mocked up my roadster, I used that method, and then a change in driveline increased the distance from trans to rear end by 3/4". I decided ti go ahead with the build with the driveshaft I had cut, thereby increasing "pull out" to 1 3/8", and see how it worked before cutting another driveshaft.
    Roadster is being driven with that 1 3/8" pull out now and I've felt no vibration at speeds up to 100mph. Driveshaft used for this was aluminum from a junked Police Special Crown Victoria.

4. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky

Thanks. Guess I will have one made after I get everything in and can get a measurement.

5. aaggie

aaggie

It is better to have a new driveshaft made just for your application. Around here it costs about $150 and they supply all new parts and you get it fully assembled, balanced and ready to install. As far as 1" versus 1 3/8" I always use 1". On Chevy yokes there are 3 different lengths that will work with TH transmissions and if you use the 1 3/8" pull out you better be using the long yoke.

6. Window Licker

Window Licker

many companies offer them by the inch, I know speedway does. that might be your best bet, if you cant find a local. be sure you measure twice.

7. I would suggest that you get the engine,transmission and rear axle installed,then you can look for a drive shaft or have a new one made.

There are just to many things like motor mounts ,different transmission tail shafts or rear end pumpkins to guess what would be correct. HRP

8. ....and if you don't get the measurement correct you won't be known as Mr. Lucky for long:eek:

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

As said, to many variables to use measurements from someone else. Do the math yourself.