Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is This really a 36 Chevy Coupe Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheWookie, Aug 17, 2012.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) I remember a few of those"cars"back when I was growing up back in the mid 50`s.I was about 10 years old so I don`t know if they were factory or home brew.Nice find.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that was done at aero body there in joplin when it was brand new---i am having trouble coming up with his name ---he dad a chauffeur driven mercedes limo, had an apartment that took up 1/2 of a city block on the second story of that white stucco warehouse north east of the scottish rite temple---his grand kids wanted to ride in a pickup and that was as pickup as he got---porters that had the buick/cady dealership got really mad about it--his son in law was a big car collector there in joplin, steve chenault was the manager of it at one time....

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

I just came across what appears to be a bed for these old chevy coupe/trucks up the road from the enid auction saturday image (38) (480x640).jpg

Attached Files:

4. I have a 39 Hudson coupe here with a bed that is mounted on rollers,come from Hudson that way.

5. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

the reason these were made , in some states a farm pick-up avoided gas and sales tax

7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. generally the coupe pickup was a business coupe that had the addition of the pickup bed. To my knoledge these were both factory options & dealer added options in the day. They both have the small side glass for the quarter windows as in your photo. These coupe/pickups are very desirable vechiles.
    The Vintage Chevrolet Club of America featured 2 of these a few months ago in their members bi-monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor".
    Jimmie

8. Here is my 37 Chevy Ute (or officially utility coupe), it was built by Holden. I think these look countless times better than the pickup bed jammed into the back of a coupe. I imported it to US. Picture from last year at Bonneville Speedweek:
    [​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and mgtstumpy like this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love the RHD Ozzie 37 Chevy utility!

4958706641_aa3389b4e5.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. Ernest Scott

Ernest Scott

I have one of these pickup boxes.

12. Ernest Scott

Ernest Scott

I have one of these pickup boxes, [email protected]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. Ernest Scott

Ernest Scott

I have one of these pickup boxes, it has the chevy name on tailgate. [email protected]

14. Ernest Scott

Ernest Scott

No my box is much different and has chevy on the tail gate, [email protected]

15. Ernest Scott

Ernest Scott

I have one of these pickup boxes on the tailgate Chevrolet in cursive writing. I have it mounted on a 1927 Buick ratrod I built in 1990 before ratrods were thought of. [email protected]

Attached Files:

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a real Ozzie one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. here is a photo of the model A, I painted last year. IMG_1882.JPG

18. .......That's just great, Earnest, but how about no more pictures of your R..R.. and I sure as hell wouldn't be bragging on it.:rolleyes:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The true meaning of a design flaw . It looks great , probably served the purpose well but , there’s a lot of wood to rot when it gets wet in an early Chebbie . I guess probably why I have never seen on where I reside on this rock .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I believe it was 1937 here when Chevy went to the turret top (Steel) and did away with wood . Here's a restorer friends '35 Master coupe ute that he rebuilt, LOTS of work. Same body as 36s with suicide doors however different front sheet metal. Sort of a FUGLY! body :D
    [​IMG]

21. 36coach

36coach

There is one listed on eBay ,less the box, that seems to show where the tail pan is cut and hinged to allow for the box to slide in ?

22. marion beach

marion beach

This pickup appeared in 1936. It was also known as the Express Pickup or even Gentleman's pickup. The Great Depression may have ended. However, families were still looking to economize, even with their household vehicles. The Chevrolet Coupe Pickup could serve as a family car and as a regular pickup. In terms of design, you can quickly spot the family car features married to the pickup bed.

The Master body size was larger than the standard coupe pickup version. The pickup bed extends from Coupe's trunk lid on the Master body. This is a rare pickup, which is on the collector's radar. 1946 saw the end of production for the Chevrolet Master Coupe Pickup.

23. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I don't know if Sears offered a pickup conversion kit but my Dad had a Montgomery Ward one in his 35 Ford 5W coupe.