Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

Bobby Butcher driving the Carroll Brothers AA/FD from Irving TX getting ready to go. [​IMG]

2. partsrivet

partsrivet

Kuehler and Abbott light 'em up during qualifying. [​IMG]

3. partsrivet

partsrivet

Fred Rowsey's Banzai car leaves the line. This Keith Black powered Woody car had not yet received it full body treatment. I think Bob Gibson told me George Cox was driving at this time. Later, Nando Hasse and John 'Mouse' Wilson would also drive this car. Standing next to Dale Ham's station wagon while covering her ears is Dale's wife Glynanna. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. partsrivet

partsrivet

One of my favorite pictures is this one of Leroy Goldstein driving the Blair and Goldstein AA/FD during eliminations. Don't know who was on the tower side. That's all for this race. [​IMG]

hendelec likes this.
  5. Great to see new photos posted here. Thanks for sharing.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Partsrivet, these are great photos, thanks for posting!

hendelec likes this.
  7. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Man! You got good stuff, Thanks.

hendelec likes this.
  8. Killer shots, PR. Hope you have a few thousand more! ;)

9. dwrfab

dwrfab
    from Dallas TX.

Very good shots ,I hope you come up with some U.S. Kids shots.
    Don Ross Former U. S. Kid

10. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Thoroughly enjoying these pics....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. tire wiper

tire wiper

"Not Puyallup, probably Shelton. Terrell Poage" - flyin phil

12. tire wiper

tire wiper

"The lawsuit was by Herm Petersen from the burns he got in the crash at OCIR, in a woody back motor car. The fuel tank was located between the driver and the motor. When the car flipped, fuel ran down Herm's back." Steve K.

"Steve is correct. Herm did not want to include Woody in the suit but since it was a class action suit he had to. Ugly deal." DE

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

More like El Mirage. Howard Johansen and "Twin Bear" dragster

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. rooman

rooman

Go back to #36302. Tire wiper had it right--Inyokern

15. 296ardun

296ardun

16. 296ardun

296ardun

17. 296ardun

296ardun

18. 296ardun

296ardun

19. tallguyinar

tallguyinar

Yes, your correct
    The Ozark Mule was from Siloam Springs, Arkansas. It was a cooperative effort of 3 men and a woman(known as mom). My parents had just built a new home, mom had just opened a kindergarten(before preschool was in public school systems) and you can understand 3 young guys and their car dreams. My dad, Lyle Marsh had been in the tire business for several years and mom and dad bought a new 1965 1/2 blue ford mustang. All I remember was shortly thereafter the car vanished. Unknown to me, dad had talked mom into letting the mustang go and my dad, Ray Finn(which owned the premier body shop in town) and a gentleman named Harrison Author began their project. Harrison was the power plant expert, Ray did the customization on the frame and chassis and dad furnished the truck, trailer and tires and wheels. Dad came up with an idea early in his auto engineering dreams that he could install spacers in his recapping molds and did reaearch and modifications with AMF to design a machine which would read programs to put additional rubber on these narrow tires then process or cook the recapps and make them wider than any tire had ever been made before but he knew that in order to turn the sports heads...he had to get more traction. The cooperative effort was perfect for the era. The car set IHRA records and was the talk of drag racing. Dad thus began to market and sell his wide drag tires, later wider rims....and dads tire business took its turn into what would eventually be racing tires only. Marshs Racing Tires. Needless to say dad innovated so many things I couldnt begin to list them. Hes stll kickin at 80 yrs young and two of his last projects were the invention of bead lock wheels and carbon fiber wheels. He then sold the business and it took another turn and currently is mainly distributing overseas. Anyway, a long answer to your question. Make it a great day! Randy Marsh

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Looks like Dover Drag Strip but I don't remember the car.

Jimbo

21. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

couple of dragsters a friend of mine ran early 60's , CAM00159.jpg CAM00159.jpg CAM00163.jpg CAM00159.jpg CAM00163.jpg dig the 2 small block chevys in the rail job !

22. raceannouncer

raceannouncer

Same idea...different time period...at old Cayuga! MY photo..

Attached Files:

23. John Bergener

John Bergener

Goldstein looks like he's straining against the belts & trying to see around the motor!

24. greer-black-prudhomme-dragster.jpg roland7.jpg

The Crower & Hilborn 4-Hole bugcatcher Injectors stuck out further on each end due to the extra throttle blade.
    Drivers had a hard time seeing around them & added a cast alum wedge-plate (that I 'think' Hilborn made').
    The Hawaian TF car ran one & so did GBP, and a few others-------
    There were no other advantages with the wedge plate that I knew of, and dont recall *any* cars with an Enderle Bug that used one----------

25. 296ardun

296ardun

26. 296ardun

296ardun

palmdale.jpg

Keilty & Sorenson (me) at Palmdale, early '65...I was in the Navy in Southeast Asia then so Ted Inoye was driving. Ted ran an unblown DeSoto and since we were running a blown version on fuel, we became friends. He was a great driver and went on to drive the Keilty & Rodgers "Wild Thing" SPE fuel car (short lived because of lack of $$)

27. 296ardun

296ardun

scott-pics-25.jpg

Charles "Boogie"Scott, from New Orleans. This was a strong running gas altered running a blown Olds.

28. 296ardun

296ardun

user56515_pic332164_1318451076.jpg Dick Guyette's "Isky Clown." This was a nicely finished gas burner, running a Potvin Olds. For those who don't remember, the "Isky Clown" was a part of Isky's advertizing counter-attack against Howard Cams. When Isky came out with the "5-cycle" cam, Howard countered with a depiction of five bicycle riders, 4 representing the traditional 4 cycles, and the fifth was a clown with a parasol representing the 5th cyele. Rather than take offense, Isky countered by using the Isky clown "Isky winners are happier than clowns" was the slogan.

29. elgringo71

elgringo71

I bet that this Willys belonged to the Barnett Brothers, they also had a 33 willys coupe.

30. Hey, that's my photo from Pomona, 1959. Took it with my trusty Brownie Hawkeye camera. Lindley's Misfire was there too. Ted Cyr put them both on the trailer.