Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Indy Good-Guys coverage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by musclecars, Jun 8, 2014.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

2. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I know it is impossible to please everyone,for me i couldn't wait for Indy every year,went to the first one and did not miss any until the last 3 years, I liked the Drag Racing ,swap meet ,show & vendors all in the same place,Host hotel parking lot parties & yearly trip to Union Jacks for pizza & beer meet up with Yankee friends. We all quite attending when the drags ceased,For us we can attend the Texas Motor speedway events twice a year,I miss Indy at I R P it was different then all Other events.If it goes back to what it once was ,we will be back.

3. paintcan54

paintcan54

I changed jobs this year and it was not in cards to attend, and the wife ended up in the hospital, will be out wed. I now drive a delivery truck and passed the fairgrounds a lot. Yes I think the show was down, I think they have been losing cars after the split with ORP. I'm not ok with the format they used this year, I can go to a dealer and look at new cars. I heard a story about them going back to ORP, but not anything about drags again! I got rid of my hot rod last winter, and the wife and I are going back drag racing again, I'm running my FED and I got her a 10 sec Nova (not a HAMB friendly car). We'll miss our friends but we were just burnt out on shows. One thing more GG sure didn't help the out of town rodders with where to go to get in, I know I told a lot of lost rodders how to find their way in.

4. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

We went Saturday, and the show was better than I expected. Perfect weather and plenty of shade. We expected to see lots of Hooptie cars and Donks, due to the location, and saw none! We expected many late models, but 98% of the cars were pre '72. And the indoor Swap meet area with A/C had plenty of room available. It was advertised as 2500 cars, but the highest window registration number I saw was 1076. Hopefully more of you will return next year.

Yes, Goodguys was better at the Dragstrip. But even at 1100 cars, it's the biggest show in Indy. We should be able to support a much larger show here, I don't know why these Indy shows get smaller, then fail. I remember Car Crafts, Super Chevy, and others we lost.

I'm a Member, and I'll be back next year, and hopefully more of you too! I'm looking forward to Columbus next month.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I liked it, and the fairgrounds. I thought the car count would be higher and there would be more vendors. But the economy is down and if you weren't buying stuff in the last year or three at shows, then the vendors have no reason to show up again, right? Would you complain about 2000 cars and no vendors? Not me! I mostly go to see the cars and what is being done with them. I don't need give-away cars, raffles, or door prizes, either. But come to think of it, I could have used a wider variety of food shacks / roach coaches! Gary

6. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

I missed going - went to the vintage racing at the Speedway instead, which was a blast. That may have pulled some people away from the GG show.

Did anyone go to the Friday Night Drags at Lucas Oil Raceway (aka ORP)?

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

What's the big deal about an event with 1076 cars with some being 2014 models? Somerset Kentucky gets over 1500 cars at their events. Louisville, Kentucky NSRA Nats 100 miles away gets 10,000 cars. The NHRA Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green Kentucky with non stop nostalgia drag racing and covered seats not bleachers is only 2 1/2 hours from Indianapolis. Now thats what I'm talking about. All the Kentucky venues are located in great family friendly environments.

8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Good point,The texas show draws about 1900=2000, not good numbers for a place that big and a large populated State,yet the NSRA in OKC draws 1500 at a much smaller facility, The numbers aren't good so what do they do???? I did not do Indy this year and chose Bowling Green instead.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

bobkatrods, good choice. You won't regret it. What did they do? GG opened the Indianapolis event to 2014 model cars to get the numbers up. There's no comparison between GG Indianapolis and the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion events. One's Lawn Chairs the other is Nostalgia drag racing. Need I'd say more? See you at Beech Bend Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  10. bradroe

bradroe

Thanks Bubba for your support

11. musclecars

musclecars

@gman-I think you made your point about dis-liking Good-Guy events,but it won't stop many people from attending.I only saw a handful of newer Camaro's,Challengers and Mustangs and this was an All -American show,no cut off year(which I dis-like also)but I am an enthusiast and I thought the show was good but I hope there will be more the next year.By the way,I was surprised at the cost of parking,thought it was going to be 8 bucks but it was only 5.As far as the NSRA show in Louisville,they also raised the cut-off year a few years back and there are guys who boycotted it because of that,but I'll bet their back attending.I too was wondering if there would be non-hot rod material at the show but only saw a few and was quite surprised,I'll be back no matter where it's held next year.Also looking forward to Frog Follies in August,now there is a show where they stick to their guns about what's in and what's not.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Frog Follies is one of the best events in the USA. Not a rip off like some other events you mentioned.

13. Gman, just because you think these shows are a rip-off, not everyone else does.
    If you don't like the shows, don't Fricken go, but your constant harping everytime goodguys is mentioned is getting old.

Mick

HEMI32 likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm really surprised that on a Traditional Hot Rod web site there are so many supporters of Lawn Chair events. I guess it takes all kinds.

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm not anti Good Guys either. It used to be one of my favorite shows. I would like nothing more than to see it back like it was only 4-5 years ago. Its just a shame to see it dwindle down to what it is now. They started messing with the venue changes and dates and it has steadily gone downhill. I might be mistaken but I believe it was a 3000 car event only 4 years ago. I thought it was ok at the Speedway too. I think most people would agree though it was best at ORP with the drags.

16. musclecars

musclecars

I totally agree with you,I hope they go back there and have it the way it used to be.How's your dad doing,I'm the guy who has spoken to you before at Hunnert in Decatur and the Secretary of State shows at Meijer and Rt 66 Festival downtown.I drive cars for Green also that's how I know your dad.Also can't wait to see your '40 at a cruise in this summer.

George

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Hey George, he's doing OK. make sure and stop and say hi next time you see me.