Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Idler Arm Help Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Putputboom, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

Ok so technical question for my fordor. I replaced the idler arm and i tightened it as much as possible with it still being able to rotate fully to turn. This leaves a ton of play in the passenger side wheel as the idler arm is far from tight. What tips or tricks are there to take the play out of the idler arm while leaving it with the ability to rotate fully.

2. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Did you ever figure this out?

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The big "nut" (with the grease fitting) on the idler arm doesn't tighten the arm. This "nut" is actually the bushing itself and it is only used to install the bushings into the mounts on the center link and the frame bracket.

The idler arm bracket must be off the vehicle frame for assembly. Install the bushings into the frame mount and the center link and then screw the arm into each bushing until about 3/8" of the arm remains protruding from each bushing.

Then install assembly onto frame rail. If it's still loose, you either need a new arm or something else is wrong.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014